How I 3d printed my layout.

Congratulations on your excellent scenic work, very impressive, and I do like your novel approach to pointwork and wagon turntables.  That must have saved you quite a lot compared to buying RTR track.  Doing the whole layout using 3D printing justifies the cost of equipment to an extent that I haven't seen before.  Incidentally of all the interesting details you've produced, the one that seems most realistic compared to other modelling techniques is the draping of that tarpaulin over a wagon.

I've not got into 3D printing although I have been amazed at some of the models I have seen at shows etc.  The thing that puts me off 3D printing technology is the learning curve - it is quite clear from what I have read elsewhere that it takes a lot of study and trial and error to get such high quality results.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the positive comments Michael. I just liked the challenge of 3d printing as much as possible. 3d printers are very affordable to the average modeller now days.

I run an Ender 3 and an Elegoo mars 2 so defo at the cheaper end of printers but good results can be achieved.

The layout is populated with lots of figures which gives it a bit of atmospher and the cost of buying all those figures would be far more than the price of the printers, plus you can pose your figures to suit your layout.

The draped wagons sound like a good subject for a new video, thanks.

Yes the biggest thing is the learning curve. Untill I started with 3d printing I had absolutely no experience but every time you design and print something things get easier 

At the end of the day it's the satisfaction of designing and printing something that looks good to you and if others like it all the better.

Eddy