BR Class 37 in France, how were they regarded?

Artless Bodger

3 hours ago, Artless Bodger said:

The class 37 has an enthusiastic following in the UK, several were used in France on LGV construction. What did the French think of them?

Come to think of it class 58, and the CFD class 20s also?

Thanks

They were pretty knackered when they were sent over so I can't imagine the drivers being that keen on them and I guess as they never worked any passenger trains the French enthusiasts never knew what they missed out on. Vive la Tracteur!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'Le' tracteur, le ........................ it's a French thing. I did see some filmettes (probably YouTube) regarding them. I think they were well regarded in that they were reliable plodders. They were, insofar as I remember, in use our way on the Belfort - Dijon section of the LGV, when one of the drivers got married at Villersexel (again IIRC) about 40 miles away.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 37114 said:

They were pretty knackered when they were sent over so I can't imagine the drivers being that keen on them and I guess as they never worked any passenger trains the French enthusiasts never knew what they missed out on. Vive la Tracteur!!

Thanks for that, I think I'd read that UK maintenance staff accompanied them, I can imagine French drivers would have prefered home grown locos they were familiar with, even if the 37s were in vgc.  Do French enthusiasts go in for 'thrash and clag'?

4 minutes ago, Philou said:

'Le' tracteur, le ........................ it's a French thing. I did see some filmettes (probably YouTube) regarding them. I think they were well regarded in that they were reliable plodders. They were, insofar as I remember, in use our way on the Belfort - Dijon section of the LGV, when one of the drivers got married at Villersexel (again IIRC) about 40 miles away.

Cheers,

Philip

Nice to know, thanks.

My query was prompted by a short Youtube video of some on an LGV ballast train (not sure which route) but iirc it was produced by UK enthusiasts for UK consumption.

The filmette was of the construction of the line southwards towards Marseilles (again IIRC) that was on YouTube showing some rather steep gradients with the tractors really grunting along with ballast hoppers (top'n'tailed too).

Not sure if there wasn't one on the Belfort - Dijon section but I might be confusing/conflating with the newspaper item regarding the construction - but comeback what I just wrote - I remember now, there was a TV programme on the construction of the Belfort - Dijon leg that included the drivers' wedding. It was possibly on FR3 which is regional (as ITV used to be) covering the Bourgogne/Franche-Comté area. I don't remember how long ago though - probably over 5 years ago.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 37s were mainly used on the LGV Lyon bypass and LGV Med. I don't recall them being used on LGV Rhin Rhone which AFAIK was all class 58. As for drivers liking or no liking them, many French locos had quite poor cabs so they would have been no more or no less liked IMO

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 8 months later...