Knottingley

JN

Change of plan...

Right, so my original plan was to create a Teesside-style layout of coal and steel trains going to a port in the early 1990s. Sort of an updated Stockton and Darlington Railway idea. Well, not much had changed. Not in principle if in practice. Many steel trains went to Tees Yard and then on to one of three steelworks, usually Lackenby, or Teesport. However, this got all a little overwhelming. I also tried triangulating which led me feeling like I was building a collection rather than modelling an area and the trains which ran through the area. Nor could I focus even on one station. Thornaby, the closed South Bank. Freight might be the raison d'etre, but the railways are not just for transporting bulk materials and fungible widgets.

Anyway, as I was doing the research for the layout I was starting to realise not many coal trains. I am not surprised by this as Lackenby and Skinningrove were finishing plants. Redcar was loaded with coal and iron ore from ships. Besides whilst looking for steel trains. I was watching videos of coal trains around Burton Salmon and Milford Junc in the hope I would find a single short steel train because the sidings were too short for the Lackenby - Corby Tubeliner. Too many trains with a plethora of wagon types with a variety of locos is attractive, but can be overwhelming and cause indecision ('I need x of these and y of those, but which do I buy first?'). I found myself being indecisive about what to do and in that indecision I further lost focus. I would express it as 'bit off more than I could chew' not 'too clever by half.' Sometimes I can be the latter than the former. I actually became quite fond of the Blackburn to BSC Lackenby steel train. Such an odd train of short length, no more than 10 bogie wagons, different types and usually a 37.

The port siding got too complicated. As did the other siding and I was worrying about details like the way in which the loading and unloading happened. I found myself using more and more licenses and lost my focus. I figured the port would always be more like the size of Boston Docks, Goole, Hull or Mostyn than like Immingham. Immingham is somewhere else I tried to emulate, but felt did not really work in my head. I did see https://freetrackplans.com/013-12x6-immingham.html, but the track plan did not make much sense to me. I can think creatively for other people, but I struggle to think creatively for myself. I metaphorically collapsed in an intellectual heap when looking at trains through Wakefield Kirkgate. Having then watched an early Everard Junction Mk2 video the "Keep it simple.. Within your limits... What you have space for..." advice really resonated with me. Richard is right about that. I felt a bit stupid after not being to make a BBA kit. Like with the port idea I was running before I could walk. I admit part of me was thinking cool over realistic.

However, all is not lost. I have taken some of the tips from the earlier reach out and other sources. I decided to keep the main line design of a double track oval. I have enough space for fourth (inside) fifth (outside) radius curves. A complete circuit is about 10m on the outer track. I can fit a two-road siding which could store about 18 HAAs, a loco and a shunter outside the oval. To keep the electronics simple this is what I will be sticking to. Furthermore I do not feel the need for anything more. If I can prove myself capable of soldering well and the more technical side perhaps I can add sidings with headshunts later. I am not sure about a fiddle yard. This being a home layout for the garage and not YouTube or an exhibition I do not really see the point. I would also like some houses too. Chris Furlong also has a great image of Ferrybridge PS towering over Knottingley I might use as a backscene if I can buy it for personal single-use from Getty Images. I photographed the gala of Kellingley closing with him (not with him as a colleague, but with him photographing the same event).

My idea is to model Knottingley during the same era. Early 1990s. I like freight. I like coal trains. I like the locos and stock and Trainload Coal branding. Something about 56s hauling HAAs looks right to me. Also, given the similar nature of the trains I only need one wagon type. I know the different liveries, but one HAA dirty with coal dust looks like any other HAA dirty with coal dust. No loco-hauled passenger services. No petrochemical traffic. No steel works traffic. Apparently up-to 75 36xHAA wagons behind a 56 or occasionally a 58 between Yorkshire Coalfield and the Aire Valley Power Stations. If simplicity is what one is after one cannot go wrong with Knottingley. Five Leeds - Wakefield - Goole trains with one train (included in the five, I think) terminating at Knottingley. I get Knottingley is not much of a through route, but I cannot find any photos or videos of Departmental trains. Surprising. Some must have been in the area. Perhaps a 31/37/47 with a few Departmental wagons.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/84777395@N08/8143350381/ is a photograph which best represents my idea for the station side of my layout. From the lorry park fence to the second siding (inclusive, possibly more, but right now). I know two other lines go to the Doncaster line, but as I said before I want to keep things simple. I lose out on HSTs (Leeds - St Pancras) and I think a 47-hauled passenger service to King's Cross (appropriate for the duchy of Lancaster!), but this is a price worth paying for me especially at the moment. In terms of space I am planning assuming 15x6. My garage goes to 17x6, but the extra two foot only gives me longer straights or wider radius curves or longer sidings and possibly an extension to Knottingley MPD or a better sidings junction making the sidings bi-directional, not unidirectional, accessible. The current junction (on the Leeds line) design means I can only exit, not enter, the sidings. I just thought about cosmetics and a practice area of ballasting rather than functional (on the layout). Sort of during autumn/winter time when replenishing the coal stocks after summer at the power stations meaning all wagons are in use if not being repaired hence the empty sidings. A friend said "use your imagination."

https://www.nmrs.org.uk/mines-map/coal-mining-in-the-british-isles/yorkshire-coalfield/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3esA-JldCo&t=631s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0SkapMBB94

https://www.simsig.co.uk/Media/Wiki/%2Fsimulations%2Fwestyorkshire%2FSimSigMapWYorks.pdf

https://www.simsig.co.uk/Media/Wiki/%2Fsimulations%2Fwestyorkshire%2FWest Yorkshire 1991-1992 timetable notes.pdf

https://www.simsig.co.uk/Wiki/Show?page=simulations:westyorkshire

https://history.networkrail.co.uk/uncategorized/IO_7b9c2690-4783-4c35-b4d4-8de29b7ae770/

http://www.railwaydata.co.uk/linefiles/route/?ELR=NOC (Colton Junc to Normanton line)

http://www.railwaydata.co.uk/linefiles/route/?ELR=WAG1 (Wakefield to Goole line) is some information I have been using, so I can operate the trains as a driver. The links are more to do with the technical side of the railway and the economic history of the area.

I like secondary and tertiary freight-dominated routes in the North of England like Mulberry Junction. I did think about places like Blackburn, Burnley (Padiham PS), Castleford, Copy Pit, Clitheroe, Mexborough, Moorethorpe, Rotherham, Swinton and Wakefield (Kirkgate). Other more general areas too.  Derbyshire/Nottinghamsire, the North Wales Coast line and the Welsh Marches. I like Everard Junction, but the layout is not really my scene.

• Like 2

Just carrying on the discussion from the wagon thread as I think it's more appropriate here...

I also feel a little more comfortable talking about me and my (future) layout etc on a thread I have started.

One reason my autism is a cause of my depression (medical depression as in suicidal ideation) is because of the absolute thinking. Either I fail (fail to reach a goal) or I do not fail. I tend to obsess on that failure (that I failed) and struggle to leave the idea and change the failure (to how do I overcome this? or what do I do to do it right?). I then hide/push away/reject. This is why I have not replied to the person kindly supporting me on the wagon kit thread linked in my signature. I was tempted to go quiet and hide away when I had seen you reply. Given it was poor form then it would be poor form now. The other traits of autism play into my depression too. A lack of social interaction because I do not communicate with or understand people properly. I get law (or anything else) more as a theory than practice as I tend to obsess about niche topics (be it a railway or a train type or a particular locomotive class or translations of medieval Latin texts, English State Formation c. 600-1215) than have a broad and deep understanding of a few general topics.

Part of my other problem is that I do not plan and realise there are many, many, steps between seeing a railway and operating my own layout. I seem to do things backwards. Stock to baseboards not realising that I should be looking at stock whilst I let the ballast glue dry. I imagine one has to be well organised and patient to be a good modeller. One of my support workers has told me, on occasion, I am free spirited (I think he means whimsical rather than unprepared to make a commitment). Sometimes I rush in, feet first, without thinking things through methodically. I am ordering the stock first as I am noticing longer and longer order times with quicker and quicker sell-out times with longer and longer re-stocking times for this aspect.

I have always shared model railways. My uncle Tony let me operate his layout. My Mum and Dad bought me my own Hornby train set when I was younger which my Dad and I would operate (as it was around the time of rail privatisation, so I tried charging my Dad a track access charge lol). Then I would operate my Dad's layout (something I do not want to get into - I can talk about the layout, but not really the wider circumstances) and for a brief period joined a local model railway club. I even tried starting a model railway club at university with someone else, but that never got past the discussion phase. I also made airfix kits amongst other things too. However, when I recently came back to the hobby with serious intent to build my own layout (rather than spend time with other modellers as a rail enthusiast who would like a model railway eventually). Along the way, I have made the odd scratch built building. I remember watching the 2009 (Chelsea v Man Utd) Champions League final and turning one of my medication boxes into a badly proportioned container office.

I did a quick search on Getty and found:

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/634829096

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/dv118036

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/157417594

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/93113039

I did not realise Dan Kitwood had photographed Ferrybridge. I still would prefer Christopher Furlong's photo as I have spoken to him and he has given me advice. Given he is a staffer with Getty he probably would not even know about the purchase. Although, I do like bojangles photography's photograph and it is probably more suitable for what I will be using it for. The light on Digital Vision's photo is good too. I can buy the image from Getty and have them put it on a wooden board.

I had simply forgotten about:

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/524523712

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/524460712

Neither of my photos are appropriate.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/501980100 (I am the person in the blue coat).

The order I have decided to build on my baseboards is outer edge to center. This just means I am not reaching over things and, say, a signal does not get caught on a sleeve or something like that. What is the best width for a baseboard? One foot is best for focusing and being able to reach over, but two feet is best for additional scenery.

The curves. I get your point. I learnt that too when I was younger. However, for what I was planning I was told wider radius curves would be better. I am conscious of the advice about minimum radius curves on longer locomotives and stock. I know the minimum is given as advice about clearance etc not an order about functionality, but that advice is given for good reason. Both can be true for different reasons depending on the layout.

I also thought narrower curves would be better as the proportion of the train on a curve will be smaller. I thought; a 45d curve followed by a short straight followed by another 45d curve would be best, but others have said four consecutive 45d curves is best. Again, both can be true for different reasons depending on the layout and space etc. Obviously narrower curves for sidings, but wider curves for main lines depending on other physical features. My Godfather said the Shap climbs were built because the engineer had an aversion to building tunnels and it's normal for railways to otherwise follow the contours when possible as some deviation will be required. I would like to use the concrete sleeper flextrack (code 75, so I can use the bullhead points and they not be out of place), but I do not have an aversion to using setrack (I understand good being not good enough, but I also get not letting the best be an enemy of the good).

Whilst I am comfortable with a degree of imperfection (I am building a model railway in a confined space etc) I would still like to build a layout worth showing someone who is interested in the things I do if not interested in railways. Sharing on here or operating with someone else would also be good. Basically, quality and realism. This thread is for someone else to read as well as for me to share. A sort of re-beginner's guide of how I did/do things.

Edited by JN

Coal on Teesside has been dependant on politics over the years!

Redcar Mineral Terminal (low level) was built with two MGR discharge hoppers which were for domestically produced coal but following a government decision in about 1979 cheaper imported was used and only one hopper was kept for Limestone from Redmire. The High Level for loading ore to Consett, Hartlepool and Workington ceased to be connected to the mainline when this traffic ceased but was retained for internal traffic to the Cleveland Work till it closed.

The decimation of the British coal industry led to coal for the Power Stations to be imported from the mid 1990’s and the ahi GH level was reconnected to the mainline!

Wilton had coal supplied from the mid 80’s from Butterwell and later imported but was converted to timber burning by the mid 2000’s.

50 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Coal on Teesside has been dependant on politics over the years!

Redcar Mineral Terminal (low level) was built with two MGR discharge hoppers which were for domestically produced coal but following a government decision in about 1979 cheaper imported was used and only one hopper was kept for Limestone from Redmire. The High Level for loading ore to Consett, Hartlepool and Workington ceased to be connected to the mainline when this traffic ceased but was retained for internal traffic to the Cleveland Work till it closed.

The decimation of the British coal industry led to coal for the Power Stations to be imported from the mid 1990’s and the ahi GH level was reconnected to the mainline!

Wilton had coal supplied from the mid 80’s from Butterwell and later imported but was converted to timber burning by the mid 2000’s.

Some would argue Arthur Scargill is as much to blame or, if not to blame, a factor for the decimation of the coal industry. I think the removal of subsidies and having to work more expensive seams as well as declining investment were problems too. The general macroeconomic policy of managed decline from 1945 was not helpful either.

Edited by JN

I have just pre-ordered 18 (3xHAA Raifreight Red Pack A and 3xHAA Raifreight Red Pack B) from Hattons (the Accurascale website did not allow me to complete the order for whatever reason).

What is the best weathering paint for the wagons? I will probably be using paint brushing techniques if this changes the advice one might give.

I know wagons would not be evenly weathered and I have seen many videos on different techniques, so I will start off with light weathering. Easier to add than to take away. I will also be buying some coal from Hattons (what is available from elsewhere?) to make coal loads for the wagons, so I figure I could use that to generate the colour for the weathering.

I have pre-ordered the Cavelex Class 56 56074 'Kellingley Colliery' as well as the Accurascale MGRs.

Anyway, below are few photos of 56074 'Kellingley Colliery' in the area and during the era I will be modelling:

BR Class 56 56074 'Kellingley Colliery' - Knottingley T.M.D.

56074 Kellingley Colliery passing Knottingley depot 18/08/1993

img28-188 Knottingley TMD - 01/08/1993

An impressive looking machine I am sure you will agree.

Below is a short and general shopping list of things I have made decisions on and I am after. If anyone has any recommendations as to the best that would be appreciated.

Class 56s and 58s locomotives

Class 142s, 144s, 150s DMUs

3x left-hand bullhead points (Code 75)

1x right-hand bullhead point (Code 75)

Concrete Flex track (Code 75)

Bullhead Flex track (Code 75)

Ballast

4 Aspect signal with right-hand 4-section feather

Two-aspect starter signal

Metal yellow 15mph with left-hand arrow speed restriction sign (poorly described, but I do not know how else to describe the sign)

Platforms

Footbridge

Station signs and fence

Cable trunking

• Like 1

I have decided to use all the space available in my garage, so the baseboard plan is 17x6. My baseboards will be two foot deep by four/four/one/four/four foot on the long side and two feet square for the short side. In the direction of 'towards Ferrybridge/Wakefield/Leeds' from the crossover points the outer track is:

Peco SL-U1188 R/H point

Peco SL-U1188 R/H point

Straight length 25.2cm

Curve length 49.1cm (radius 62.5cm @ 45 degrees)

Straight length 30cm

Straight length 67.9cm

Straight length 91.4cm

Straight length 91.4cm

Straight length 91.4cm

Straight length 30cm

Straight length 91.4cm

Straight length 91.4cm

Straight length 90.2cm

Peco SL-U1189 L/H point

The inside track measurements are similar. From the same point in the opposite direction:

Straight length 64.8cm

Straight length 91.4cm

Straight length 91.4cm

Curve length 44.9cm (radius 57.2cm @ 45 degrees)

Straight length 30cm

Straight length 91.4cm

Straight length 91.4cm

Straight length 91.4cm

Straight length 67.9cm

Straight length 30cm

Peco SL-U1188 R/H point

Straight length 76.4cm

Peco SL-U1189 L/H point

These are the preferable measurements for a good working model railway

However, I am a little confused by the junction at the west end of Knottingley Station...

Class 56

I understand how the crossover (in the foreground) works in the layout, but I am struggling with the rest of the layout. I can make a simplified version which gives me enter/exit access to the siding. The trade off is that the signalling has become a little more complex, but the trackwok became more complex when I used a crossing (PECO SL-E194) instead of a ladder/scissor junction (I am not sure which is the correct term as I have heard both terms used in this context).

I have also noticed some ground signals which would be good to get.

I also forgot to mention that I plan to lay the track on cork.

Edited by JN

I asked my Dad if he could let me know distances and gradients for:
Leeds to Goole via Wakefield Westgate and Kirkgate;
Gascoigne Wood and Prince of Wales Colliery to Knottingley, Eggborough and Drax.

Unfortunately, my Dad was not able to find out for me about distances and gradients from:
Wakefield to Pontefract Monkhill
Prince Of Wales Colliery to Pontefract Monkhill
Knottingley to Eggborough, Drax and Goole

However, he was able to provide me with information from Gascoigne Wood to Knottingley (in the following format MILEAGE GRADIENT SECTION):

6.00 1/100 Leeds - Ardsley

4.00 1\122 Ardsley - Wakefield

4.00 1\100 Ardsley - Wakefield

1.00 Unknown Gascoigne Wood - Sherburn-in-Elmet Junc

1.50 Level Sherburn-in-Elmet Junc - Milford Jnc

0.50 1/700 Milford Junc - Burton Salmon

0.50 1/303 Milford Junc - Burton Salmon

0.50 Level Milford Junc - Burton Salmon

0.50 Level Burton Salmon - Ferrybridge

0.25 1/223 Burton Salmon - Ferrybridge

0.50 1\516 Burton Salmon - Ferrybridge

0.25 1\223 Burton Salmon - Ferrybridge

0.50 1\516 Burton Salmon - Ferrybridge

0.50 1\225 Burton Salmon - Ferrybridge

0.50 1\229 Burton Salmon - Ferrybridge

0.50 1/123 Ferrybridge - Knottingley

2.00 1/152 Ferrybridge - Pontefract

(/ = ASCENT and \ = DESCENT in the direction of travel indicated by the section)

I am fine with this level of detail. I just wanted an idea of distances and gradients from point A to B not a geological history or understanding of the area. Not to dismiss the informatiion, but it's not the information which is of interest to me here or a priority for my layout.

One circuit I will say is about 0.5 mile or 0.8km. More like 0.58 mile, but I prefer working with round numbers. Anyway, to best explain what I have in mind for operating trains on the layout. The one-in-seven hundred southbound gradient from Milford Junc to Burton Salmon would be one circuit of the track. When I operated my Dad's layout, for a train over Shap, he recommended drawing back on the controller twice over a full circuit to give the impression of the cumulative effect of the gradient on speed. The opposite can be done upto the maximum speed of a train or line, whichever is the lower. MGR trains which were loaded ran as 7XXX (limited to 45mph). That would be one circuit in 45 seconds. The empties would be run as 6XXX, so were able to go as fast as 60mph meaning one circuit of my layout in 30 seconds. An engineering train running as 8XXX was limited to 30mph, so one circuit in one minute.

I have tried looking at the Freedom of Information request and Rail Data information, but I do not really understand either information sets. What information does one have for distances and gradients for Wakefield, Prince of Wales Colliery to Eggborough and Drax (from the relevant junctions to the power station itself) and Goole (for the Leeds - Wakefield - Goole passenger trains)? Given I will only be having one station on my layout I will simply round distances to the nearest whole circuit (just to the nearest half-mile/mile is fine). Also, if anyone has information about scheduling or speed restrictions and such, that would be appreciated useful information too.

I have just found one of my minimised windows to be a PDF of a Leeds - Goole timetable. However, whilst I do not expect the times between stations to have changed very much I would prefer a timetable from 1990-1994 as that would have considered the times then not the times now - other trains and stock would have changed if not the physical distance.

Below are a few photographs of the various trains which ran in the areas mentioned:

Ardsley.

43102 1410 Leeds - St Pancras.  Ardsley.  30th June 1991

Ardsley.

37712 Wakefield Kirkgate 18/8/1993

19930628_007: 141119 at Wakefield Kirkgate

19930628_005: 142072 at Wakefield Kirkgate

Diverted Cross Country Service At Kirkgate (Michael McNicholas)

Wakefield Kirkgate, 15 March 1993

Old King Coal (The Grid). 56084 Prince of Wales Collery 120593 (7C08)

60089, Milford Junction

Tilcon On The Curve (Michael McNicholas)

04/08/1993 - Milford South Junction, Monk Fryston, North Yorkshire.

04/08/1993 - Milford South Junction, Monk Fryston, North Yorkshire.

04/08/1993 - Monk Fryston (Milford South Junction), Selby, North Yorkshire.

Northbound Ballast At Burton Salmon (Michael McNicholas)

Northbound Bone On Hoods (Michael McNicholas)

Corby To Lackenby At Burton Salmon (Michael McNicholas)

Aluminium Empties At Burton Salmon.

Parcels ECS At Burton Salmon (Michael McNicholas)

Edited by JN
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, d winpenny said:

I will be watching this with interest, having previously attempted to model the depot myself although admittedly I didn’t really have the space

david

Hey David,

Depot layouts can be good and Knottingley is not just a loco depot. I have thought about adding the depot and wagon works on the opposite side to the station. I feel like I could design it separately to the main layout as, for now, I want to keep things simple. I am still debating between a crossing and a ladder junction. The crossing junction is winning at the moment…

Anyway, I am struggling at the moment.

I know I will probably need to buy a new garage door (so it does not fall down and lock me inside!) and I will have to tile the floor as well as board up the walls. What room do you use for your layout (if you have one)? I have noticed a lot of people use a spare room, an attic or an attached garage or garden shed.

I will be using my garage, but its not attached to my block of flats. This would be the only reasonable space I could really use as I live in a one-bedroom flat. I can see my garage from my flat, but its still across the publicly accessible car park. That means I will have to use a generator. I can get a non-fuel rechargeable generator. However, my main worry issue is security. I am worried about someone coming along and smashing everything up whilst I am operating. A little privacy would be nice. Not to be anti-social, but nerves of not knowing any of my fellow flat block residents may or may not think (if I knew it would be fine, but sometimes I worry more because of the uncertainty of not knowing).

While I will board up my roof and walls (dust limitation) and tile the floor (same reason) this is not a problem because its a case of doing so (a bit like the baseboards etc).

I asked my Dad about it and he said the situation might be a bit impractical. It was disappointing to hear that, but I can see what he is saying. However, this is something I would still like to do. What do you think? I would rather the truth than what I want to hear. Sometimes I dive into things without fully thinking through. I think it will also be good for me. These last couple of years I have barely left my flat other than to go to the shops.

Debates about DC/DCC I will look at when I have sorted this out.

Regards,

Jonny.

9 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

I have some pics of Knottingley shed/locos, would you like me to post them on this thread.

manna

That is a kind offer, manna, thank you. I have been looking at photos and videos to find out information (see below). Some more would be good to see - get a feel for the area as it was and see what goes where etc. I am planning on modelling the station area, but it's meant to be a 'based upon' rather than 'replica of' type layout. That said, the closer to the real thing the better in my opinion.

56 046, 055, 067, 074, 075, 079, 080, 082, 085, 086, 091, 092, 106, 112

58 040, 045, 047, 048

Are the locos I have found to be running:

7CXX Gascoigne Wood/Prince of Wales Colliery - Eggborough as well as the reciprocal empties.

7HXX Gascoigne Wood/Prince of Wales Colliery - Drax

2FXX Leeds - Goole was dominated by pacers (141/142/144) with the occasional 150. Information about the area (distances, gradients, junction names etc) would be appreciated too.

All the photos are from other people’s Flickr sites. I probably should have said. As you can see from the post above I am having to solve a couple of conundrums at the moment.

On 18/05/2022 at 08:48, JN said:

Hey David,

Depot layouts can be good and Knottingley is not just a loco depot. I have thought about adding the depot and wagon works on the opposite side to the station. I feel like I could design it separately to the main layout as, for now, I want to keep things simple. I am still debating between a crossing and a ladder junction. The crossing junction is winning at the moment…

Anyway, I am struggling at the moment.

I know I will probably need to buy a new garage door (so it does not fall down and lock me inside!) and I will have to tile the floor as well as board up the walls. What room do you use for your layout (if you have one)? I have noticed a lot of people use a spare room, an attic or an attached garage or garden shed.

I will be using my garage, but its not attached to my block of flats. This would be the only reasonable space I could really use as I live in a one-bedroom flat. I can see my garage from my flat, but its still across the publicly accessible car park. That means I will have to use a generator. I can get a non-fuel rechargeable generator. However, my main worry issue is security. I am worried about someone coming along and smashing everything up whilst I am operating. A little privacy would be nice. Not to be anti-social, but nerves of not knowing any of my fellow flat block residents may or may not think (if I knew it would be fine, but sometimes I worry more because of the uncertainty of not knowing).

While I will board up my roof and walls (dust limitation) and tile the floor (same reason) this is not a problem because its a case of doing so (a bit like the baseboards etc).

I asked my Dad about it and he said the situation might be a bit impractical. It was disappointing to hear that, but I can see what he is saying. However, this is something I would still like to do. What do you think? I would rather the truth than what I want to hear. Sometimes I dive into things without fully thinking through. I think it will also be good for me. These last couple of years I have barely left my flat other than to go to the shops.

Debates about DC/DCC I will look at when I have sorted this out.

Regards,

Jonny.

hi Jonny 

My last layout was in a spare bedroom, my current one is in a loft. Building in a separate garage certainly will bring its own set of challenges. Once the structural work is done new door etc personally I’d probably want to invest in an alarm and a half decent cctv camera as a just in case. obviously I have no idea what your neighbourhood is like I would probably bring rolling stock back to the flat when not operating and the controller(s) if it was practical should the worse happened these are your most expensive things to replace.

david