Hornby Sentinel

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

I have more than a passing interest in post-WW2 military and related railways serving storage facilities, either MoD or ROF lines. Unfortunately no one seems to offer anything remotely suitable for motive power*, unless someone with far more knowledge can correct me, please do so.

The only thing seems to be the Ruston or Sentinel, were any employed in this manner? The Sentinel seems the more likely but I wait to be corrected.

*not withstanding the austerity, I cannot recall steam being permitted anywhere near storage facilities due to fire risk after WW2.

Thanks for your feedback 

The MOD/Army had only one Sentinel diesel from new and that was an 0-8-0 Diesel-Hydraulic. They bought two 4wDH Rolls Royce (which is exactly the same as a Sentinel. It was only the brand name that changed, after Sentinel was taken over by Rolls Royce) second hand.

The only other RTR model that I can think of is the Hornby Ruston 48DS, which is offered in a genuine Army livery and number.

There are plenty of kits to go at. Judith Edge offers a Ruston 88DS 4wDM, a Thomas Hill "Steelman Royale" 4wDH, a North British 0-4-0DH, a Fowler 0-4-0DM and the ex-LMS Drewry 0-4-0DM. Mercian did a Barclay/Vulcan Foundry 0-4-0DM that is out of production but can sometimes be found for sale on ebay.

Edited by Ruston
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 weeks later...