Image restoration from pre-May 2021 continues and may take an indefinite period of time.

DCC 03 Shunter starting stutter

Good day, I have a new Bachmann 03 Shunter fitted with a V5 ESU SoundLok decoder.   Every time you start running the loco it stutters and jerks while getting going but when it does pick up a little speed it smooths out nicely.   Any clues?

Does it still run smoothly if you turn the speed back down to a very slow crawl?

If not, it sounds like there's a mechanical tightness somewhere - side rods binding at a certain point in their rotation (typically when one of them is in line with the wheel centres)  ?

Is it a next18 or 6 pin model? My guess would be that the settings on the decoder are wrong because both need very different motor settings, I can give you the settings for either so you can check its set up correctly

Richard

• RMweb Gold

I've had this problem,  without a stay-alive the Bachmann 03 is useless.  Stay-alive absolutely transforms them 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Russ P is right. I have a sound fitted one of these and love it, but without the stay alive it sounds like Norman Collier is driving it!

• Funny 1