The Wellington, Much Wenlock and Craven Arms Railway by Lightmoor Press.

Craigw

I have seen no real mention of this book, which does surprise me.

A larger, square format book which runs to 307 pages and covers the line from the planning and construction, through the years with the GWR and on to BR days until closure with a postscript detailing events since the demise of the line. The line itself is described, including the stations. OS maps show the arrangements of the stations and there are also excellent drawings of many of the buildings on the line. The photographic coverage is excellent  and runs through the full life of the railway although obviously skewed towards the BR era. There is a good mix of colour and B&W photographs of the line, landscape, locos and staff. One of the highlights (to me) is the large colourised photo of 517 in 1900. It looks superb!

The reproduction and layout of this book is first class, an absolute credit to Lightmoor Press. 

If you are interested in GWR lines, I think this is a book that deserves a spot on your shelves.

Regards,

Craig W

IMG_E8373.JPG

Edited by Craigw
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...

Craig, thank you for your very nice review. A huge amount of work went into this book and it's great to know that people are enjoying it. 

Reviews should start to appear in most of the mainstream UK railway magazines from this month.

Best wishes to all,

Adrian Knowles

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Hi. I am writing a book on Easthope and the GWR between Much Wenlock and Longville.  U would really like a photo of Easthope Halt prior to 1951 when it closed to passengers . Does your book have any photos of the halt. I only have one photo from 1959. ?. Thanks in advance . Judith Goodman 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Santa duly delivered my copy on Christmas Day and it has left me rather breathless.  Deeply researched, nicely written, amazingly illustrated (in terms of what the author has found. to include and the range of illustrations) and superbly laid out - a further credit to teh author in respect of that.  In many respects it is clearly a labour of love and enthusiasm for and knowledge of the subject which must make it rank it as magnum opus among railway books.  And added to that it includes some paintings by Sean Bolan (one of my staff of many years ago and a highly skilled artist).   I have - sorry to say it - one criticism, and it is one I come out with for a number of books, and that is the lack of signalling diagrams.  But I will freely admit to my particular interest in that area and acknowledge the difficulty of finding them for some of the places covered by the book.

Well worth the seemingly high asking price although that was relieved in my case by the generosity of one of Santa's followers.  If you want a really good railway history buy this one and judge all others by it, you won't be disappointed.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...