ECU decoder in Bachmann Class V runs very slowly

Derekl

I have a Bachmann Class 5 with an ECU (non-sound)chip fitted by Olivia's Trains before delivery. The loco runs very slowly on my NCE Powercab. Maximum speed appears less than about 20 mph equivalent.

I have reset it by setting CV8 to 8, but that made no difference other than reprogramming it to address 3. 

There are no speed problems with any other locos, including Bachmann.

Any thoughts?

• RMweb Premium

Can you replace the decoder temporarily with the blanking plate and see how it performs on DC?

I presume you mean an ESUI decoder. I believe they have a means of resetting the speed. Have a look on their website and look for references to (I think) CV54.

Hope that helps.

• RMweb Gold

Is this the Bachmann Standard Class 5? The gearing on these locos is quite low so they are not very fast to start with. I have two of these and, using Traincontroller speed measurement, their top speed is no more than about 55 MPH.  I'm happy with that on my layout. 

Edited by RFS
Grammar

Many thanks for the helpful replies. To deal with each in turn:

"Can you replace the decoder temporarily with the blanking plate and see how it performs on DC?"

I don't have the blanking plate - the decoder was fitted by the supplier and the blanking plate was not supplied (it should have been). It occurs to me to try it on 12v DC through the decoder - most are supposed to work on DC.

"I presume you mean an ESUI decoder. I believe they have a means of resetting the speed. Have a look on their website and look for references to (I think) CV54"

"If its an ESU decoder, CV5 is maximum speed, 255 is maximum, cv53 can also affect the speed, make sure its above 100"

Thank you - CV5 is set to 255 - I will check CV53 or 54 (possibly after having a look at the manual).

"Is this the Bachmann Standard Class 5? The gearing on these locos is quite low so they are not very fast to start with. have two of these and, using Traincontroller speed measurement, their top speed is no more than about 55 MPH.  I'm happy with that on my layout. "

It is the Standard Class V. That is interesting - I would be OK with around 55 mph, but my impression is that it is a lot slower than that. (Okay, my impression may be wrong.....)

Many thanks for your helpful replies. I will do some more investigation and post if I get anywhere.

I didn't get very far, but I thought I would post. I checked the on-line manual, which is helpful. CV5 was set to 255, CV53 to the default setting (130). I altered it up a bit (to 150) to no effect, other than to decrease the range on the controller (that is, maximum achieved at around speed step 20, or below, with no perceived speed increase above that).

I ran the automatic calibration as recommended in the manual (basically setting CV54 to 0, leaving programming and pressing F1 - the loco runs fort about 2 seconds and that is supposed to set the CVs 51 to 55 to optimum settings). The loco seemed a bit smoother after that, but it is difficult to tell.

I noted that the ESU decoder will detect and run on 12 volts DC, so I stuck it on a rolling road and did 20 minutes in each direction at a modest 12v DC setting (ie, not flat out).

Result is that it is smoother, but still fairly slow - about the scale 50 mph mentioned above (although I do not have the equipment to check that accurately.

There we are - looks like I will have to live with it, although ti is not a serious problem.

I would be OK with around 55 mph, but my impression is that it is a lot slower than that. (Okay, my impression may be wrong.

I wonder if you have actually measured the speed? Almost everyone gets the actual speed wrong, and generally not realising how fast they are actually running, and their impression is that they are too slow.

I often get comments that my trains are too slow, but I know that they are actually prototypically correct as they have to be measured for actual before I can use them.

I suggest that if you don't have a specific tool available then you use this website to measure the actual speed (once loco is warm) - you may be surprised at the actual speed ;)

Scale Speed Calculator

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry - I only now notice that there had been more replies.

The model no is 32-507.

The acceleration and maximum speed are set as recommended by ESU, but I didn't try it on a rolling road on DCC.

I haven't measured the actual speed, not having the equipment, but I have been doing this for a while and I appreciate that there is often a perception that speed are low, I think I have probably got a reasonable perception myself.