Fitting DCC Decoder to R3091 Hornby Class 91 (The Fusiliers)

netutgamer

Has anyone had any experience of fitting a DCC decoder to one of these at all?

I'm not new to DCC, and have had my soldering iron out fitting decodes to locos for some time now. With the latest offering from Hornby (and one of their first with the 21 Pin Decoder Socket) it should in theory be straight forward.

I've fitted a DCC Concepts Zen Black (DCD-ZN218.6) their rather handy 21 Pin decoder that also comes with a harness for 8 Pin connection, and I've in the past popped these into plenty of Bachmann DCC Ready locomotives with no issue.

However - on my Class 91 - I can't get the Cab lights to come on.

Not unusual for Hornby the documentation isn't clear. The included leaflet says one thing about DCC functions and an extra leaflet says something else. There is also a 'Night/Day' switch which for past locos has had little bearing on operation when a decoder is fitted (however I have tired both switch positions)

Function 0-3 operate as per the supplementary leaflet around controlling the directional lighting (both on, or turning the white/red directional lighting off - all good)

Function 4 is intended to turn the cab lights on or off.

Now I've not changed ANY CVs on the decoder, and I have two of them and have tried both. The decoder is firmly seated, and the loco operates as it should - except for the cab lights.

So am I sending it back to Hornby, or is there a little trick I'm missing - anyone popped a decoder in their Class 91 and had any issues? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_4844.JPG

IMG_4845.JPG

• RMweb Gold

The Zen218.6 is advertised as being 6 function (hence the .6 at the end). I've seen one fitted with a Gaugemaster DCC95 decoder, the cab lights were functioning correctly. It worked out of the box without any function remapping.

The Hornby instructions (pictured earlier) seem reasonable. One leaflet is clearly marked Addendum so supplements the main leaflet. It could have noted also that a greater than 4 function decoder is required to work all the lights.

Edit to add ref to pictures of leaflets posted earlier.

Edited by RAF96
Add picture info.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd disagree @RAF96.

When it comes to DCC Decoder selection the paperwork says nothing about any requirements other than 21pin. The product listing on the website (as is the case with all Hornby models) tells you nothing about what decoders are compatible or what requirements are needed.

Their leaflet in the box (which to be fair I never need to read) simply states that you should talk to your local dealer about Decoders...But I bought his model on pre-order direct from Hornby.

And Hornby haven't got their own 21 Pin Decoder to market yet - to even give them the get our of jail free card that you should just buy theirs (which I never ever would).

If you bought a brand new car from an official dealership, but had to buy an 'after market' key to start the car, you'd expect them to either sell one themselves, or at least tell you what you need to buy.

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, netutgamer said:

And Hornby haven't got their own 21 Pin Decoder to market yet - to even give them the get our of jail free card that you should just buy theirs (which I never ever would).

Yes they have - R8245 Sapphire. It's been out a while but only has 4 functions. It comes with a 21-8 converter so you can fit it to locos with 8-pin sockets as well as native 21-pin. But it's always been very expensive with RRP of £42.99 - ridiculous when you can get the likes of a Zimo MX638D with 6 functions for £24, 

Hornby have had a 21 pin decoder in production for many many years but has been said it only has four function outputs.

The Zimo MX638D with 6 functions @ £24 has a larger range of features and is cheaper even after the latest 20% price hike but may be in shorter supply at the moment.

Regards

Nick

Edited by NIK

1 hour ago, RFS said:

Yes they have - R8245 Sapphire. It's been out a while but only has 4 functions. It comes with a 21-8 converter so you can fit it to locos with 8-pin sockets as well as native 21-pin. But it's always been very expensive with RRP of £42.99 - ridiculous when you can get the likes of a Zimo MX638D with 6 functions for £24, 

They did make a 21 pin decoder, but not now.

Their Sapphire was discontinued several years ago & is not listed on their website. You may find some old stock but I would be surprised if you could. You can buy better decoders for less & anyone wanting more than their standard decoder would probably be aware that you can buy a better alternative for less.

They do list an 8 to 21 pin converter so you can use their 8 pin decoder with a 21 pin socket. This is the opposite to the harness which was included with the Sapphire.

It is unlike Hornby to not provide a suitable decoder. They usually seem to consider themselves a manufacturer who makes everything necessary, but why no suitable decoder?

It is likely to be a function mapping issue but without any technical information, you will just be making blind guesses.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

They did make a 21 pin decoder, but not now.

Their Sapphire was discontinued several years ago & is not listed on their website. You may find some old stock but I would be surprised if you could.

Indeed but there are plenty of sites still listing it.  Antics Online have plenty available at £39.99 whilst Tops slots 'n' Trains have them at £20. I did have 4 purchased many years ago now for around £15, but have since replaced with Zimo ones which are far better. 

• Informative/Useful 1