Farish 37046

JBM37404

Noticed this is showing as arrived on the Bachmann site. Unfortunately it looks like the model has the nose doors with the flush plate over and headlight lower centre as per 37025 and the previous 37035 release. Bit disappointed so won't be picking up one unless I can figure a way to modify the nose ends somehow...

• RMweb Premium

The images Bachmann originally used showed the OO scale model which has the doors and no headlight which is what I would have expected (and preferred).

Regrettable if true as cut buffer beam cowling 37's are highly sought after but with the split box ones, only later plated doors and headlight versions seem to be available.

Edited by John M Upton

7 hours ago, John M Upton said:

The images Bachmann originally used showed the OO scale model which has the doors and no headlight which is what I would have expected (and preferred).

Regrettable if true as cut buffer beam cowling 37's are highly sought after but with the split box ones, only later plated doors and headlight versions seem to be available.

Looked N to me, I have a 37428 on order also which is arrived too. Looks like they won't re tool the front end on ones with the headlight which limits ones that can be modelled accurately. 37046 definitely had the doors still and headlight off centre. Remember scoring it on a Cardiff To Liverpool train in the 90s.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, bluedepot said:

so basically if i understand right they have got it wrong for both pre 92 (no light) and post 92 (light on lower right door, doors not plated) 

tim

I would say yes, it's the same front as the 37035, 37068 models and I think back to 37027 when that was done a while back.

• RMweb Premium

I reckon they only have two split headcode toolings, the cut buffer cowling plated panel with headlight and the original design with the buffer cowling in place.

Never seen any others.

It means there is a whole chunk of time from the late 1970's to the early 1990's that can't be done.

19 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I reckon they only have two split headcode toolings, the cut buffer cowling plated panel with headlight and the original design with the buffer cowling in place.

Never seen any others.

It means there is a whole chunk of time from the late 1970's to the early 1990's that can't be done.

Indeed and it's highly frustrating as I'd say that majority in the timescale quoted carried the doors and usually the headlights post 92 onwards. I model the Inverness fleet in 93 and as a result can only have 37025 as a split box I think as it had a plated door. 

Such a shame considering Farish do a flush front 47 when required so why leave the 37 hanging. Starting to hope someone else starts considering a 37 especially as we have to mill the chassis for sound chip fitting. Revolution and accurascale collaboration maybe......

• Informative/Useful 1

They have been doing quite well of late this seems like some corner cutting or an oversight. I am personally disappointed as its going to make modelling the likes of 37080, 37113, 37106, 37088 and 37099 tricky. Maybe there's a way of filing off the skirts on a split box model. Or a nose chop of sorts. I am not the type of modeller who shys away from a challenge I just lack time at the moment to be rebuilding models completely especially when it's to represent a common form of the class. Will be asking their reps about this next time I see the stand somewhere.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I am just hoping the blue 37284 actually turns up with cut buffer beam cowls, there have been a couple of times in the Farish history of BR Blue centre head code box ones where a cut cowl one was promised (they just renumbered 37254 for the catalogue picture) but turned up with them still in place.  Only 37254 (hard to find now) and the Kernow 37207 special edition seem to have had original noses with no headlight and cut cowls as far as I can tell.

Edited by John M Upton

59 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I am just hoping the blue 37284 actually turns up with cut buffer beam cowls, there have been a couple of times in the Farish history of BR Blue centre head code box ones where a cut cowl one was promised (they just renumbered 37254 for the catalogue picture) but turned up with them still in place.  Only 37254 (hard to find now) and the Kernow 37207 special edition seem to have had original noses with no headlight and cut cowls as far as I can tell.

I dropped down from O gauge where Heljan sold 37/0s with painted out skirts at one point. It seems in 4mm we can have multiple suppliers and a race for detail (Accurascales 37 does look the business) but those of us in other scales get left wanting although I know Heljan have finally retooled the 37 in O. 

Come on Farish don't drop the ball here, why bother doing Crewe cut buffer beam 47s if the 37s get left with the wrong nose ends. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Looks like 37043 in 1992/93 could be a candidate for an easy renumber from the 37046 model - plated gangway doors, with centred headlight, although possibly the headlight is a little higher up on 37043 than on the Farish model. The depot plaque would also need removing.

Flickr image - not my original photo:

37043 (1B26); Falkirk Grahamston; 27-08-1993

Hope that helps.

Tom.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tiger said:

Looks like 37043 in 1992/93 could be a candidate for an easy renumber from the 37046 model - plated gangway doors, with centred headlight, although possibly the headlight is a little higher up on 37043 than on the Farish model. The depot plaque would also need removing.

Flickr image - not my original photo:

37043 (1B26); Falkirk Grahamston; 27-08-1993

Hope that helps.

Tom.

Cheers, 

Yes 043 is a possible easy one along with 025 (not in its ice cream van colours though) 087 I think is another. I am pondering some way of adding the centre door split with a strand of thin wire down the centre although moving the headlight is a tad tricky. I have a 37068 which I was going to sell but is now likely to become 37113 as per this

37113 Dunkeld

copyright roddy macphee flicr

That's me on the right back in the day also....

John

Edited by JBM37404
  • Like 2