The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (and St Nicholas's Junction)

Gypsy

I will probably stop with these two at this point. Still need to get some couplings and nameplates and the driver are on order but the plan is to have them in a 'very well looked after' condition. I might go back and do a little more once I've added the driver, nameplates and handrails but any suggestions gratefully received...

Also think I've found a base spray for the concrete - as on the hut roof in the foreground...

IMG_9598.jpg

• Like 1

Incrimental gains today.

Pipework painted copper & some of Chris Nevard's water lillies. I think a couple of bits of white flock as blooms would improve it even more...

Not sure whether the brake van roof needs re-doing or just a bit more glue on the tissue?! That and the chimney.

Base for the plank now up to ground level, but the glue is drying...

IMG_9599.jpg

• Like 1

...and for your further delectation and critique a length of rusty track.

Immediate thoughts are that I'm quite pleased. Its getting the sun-bleached look I'm after but needs some variation in the rust on the chairs and possibly on a few random sleepers...!?

IMG_9602.jpg

IMG_9603.jpg

• Like 1

Going to re-try the track as I agree, it needs to be more silver/grey. But hey, that's what these little prcatices are for.

Speaking of which, the discussion with @NHY 581 @MrWolf and inspiration from @KNP has got me try try a little cameo with some bouillabaisse, or is it bougainvillea?

At the moment its closer to the former in colour at least. The black dog has definitely been breathing down my neck these past few days but I did happen to pass a real model shop and went in looking for a suitable wall to train the bougainvillea up. I failed with that but did buy the Wills Pagoda as a cheap and cheerful alternative. I know I said I don't really do grot (oo er missus) but this might be an exception. I'm going to try some hairspray weathering over the fish soup brown and I'm really quite chuffed with the tarred wriggly tin roof (several layers of Mod Podge over the bare plastic) so far...

IMG_9613.jpg

and there it is...

Does the roof need more weathering? And what colour for the guttering?!

Not sure I want to do too much more to the walls given that they'll be covered in climbing fish soup over the next few days, but I'm open to suggestions.

IMG_9614.jpg

• Like 3

Rusty Rails 2...

Some constructive comments/thoughts would be greatly appreciated here before I go any further. It may be my crappy iPhone but it looks a lot greyer in the flesh than it does in these pics and I don't want to go too far. Just a reminder, sunbleached mediterranean timber is the look we (or at least I) are after...

In the meantime, the first of the bouillabaisse is slowly emerging from the swamp @NHY 581 and awaiting some green scatter for the first layer of leaves.

IMG_9620.jpg

IMG_9621.jpg

IMG_9615.jpg

• Like 5

Thank you - I think it needs a bit more of the flowers along the top. 

Wierdly I didn't really notice that until I looked at the pictures again - probably something to do with modeling the foliage without the roof on...

Added a bit more magenta flock to the top and I think it looks much better.

Just to prove that I've not been completely idle I've also done base number two for the Lighthouse Underpass - I made a complete horlicks of base number one despite a good few hours work so decided to start again.

Base coat of sandy earth for the hillside after which I will be playing with tarmac...

IMG_9652.jpg

IMG_9651.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I was hoping for a talking cow... But with the expertise shown about maybe it should be a concrete cow...

• Funny 3

I like that, what have you used? I opted for a lot of paint and talcum powder over watercolor paper. The colour looks good, so many models seem to be 'tarmac colour' and it's way too dark, ends up looking like a Scalextric track.

I'm with you on the decent leathers too. When I first started talking the memsahib out, I got her a good quality jacket and told her: "This isn't me buying you a present, this is me buying my conscience."

Its a bit of a bodge up from some YouTube trawls.

The base is some 1mm foam from Hobbycraft. Its then sprayed with Halfords grey primer.

I watched a Kathy Millat vid and she suggested scribing in cracks etc which I did with a toothpic. So far so good. There are then umpteen layers of different greys in a mixture of wet and dry brushes and a black wash to accentuate the cracks. The problem was that every time I black washed it, it became too dark, so it was back to more shades of grey.

I decided to leave the cracks for a bit, sealed it with matt varnish and drew in the lines with a Posca pen before adding some sandy brown pigment at the edges (which makes the white lines look slightly yellow) and white in the middle. Then sealed it again.

I think I may get some panel line wash and see if that's any better at staying where I want it without darkening the rest...!

My old man gave up trying to reign me in fairly early on but one of the few things he did force me to do was to wear leathers whatever the weather and whatever the distance. Most of my spills came from other things but having picked up the pieces from a couple of idiots that came off in jeans/shorts/t-shirts etc I'm bloody glad he did. I'll do the same if my sprogs ever have the urge - there's not a cat in hell's chance of getting the boss on anything other than a peddle bike, and even then only under protest!

• Like 2

I've always had similar problems with painting mortar courses, particularly where the advice is to apply thinned paint at the top of the building and let capillary action do the rest. Hm. No. Not going to happen.

I tend to cringe when I see clowns riding around in shorts and tee shirts. They've obviously never come off.

• Agree 2