Images not visible?

Can anyone suggest why thi smay be happening?   On Dave Ford's thread yesterday, this post is displaying correctly:

Clipboard01.jpg.ca6b17449c9e28e729973d5317015790.jpg

This one, just two or three posts down the page, refuses to show me the images.   I can tell from the comments that others can see them, but for me they simply don't appear.

Clipboard02.jpg.a6eb55481baa37426e12b30ed513faa3.jpg

Windows 10 Home patched up to date. Firefox likewise.

• 3 weeks later...

Me too...all over the place. I've tried Firefox, Chrome and Edge with all cookies and cleared and all I see are a lot (actually most) image links to a JPG or GIF with a 'throbbing' light blue background highlight.

An example of the error that is returned when I try and view an image is:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>HP9NJMFJB2A27YB6</RequestId>
<HostId>uKUmeSVhdMz2Qd9HdEwUAWoDiM28yGlQGW3EHnFOOIGi8+/cxPHaYgbUC5hoE9coi98C7MTiJzg=</HostId>
</Error>

I can see some images but most I cannot - and I'm including recent posts not just old ones. 

I'm now considering abandoning RMWeb because of this - images are crucial to understanding and appreciating many posts and responses.

• RMweb Gold

Remember that the older images (over about a year ago) were lost owing to an issue at the previous hosting company which led to RMWeb moving to its new hosting company.  Some of us are slowly replacing images but not everyone had saved copies.

At present some people cannot see GIF images, I've no idea why, I have discussed it with Andy Y and he doesn't know why either - it seems to be browser and operating system specific.

I've noticed that at some times of day images take longer to display than usual, perhaps the server or the whole web is a bit busy and slower at times.  It doesn't just happen on RMWeb.

David

• RMweb Premium

I had a recent issue on a computer running Firefox Quantum as the browser (whatever that is). Photographs, whether posted by me or someone else, simply disappeared, and they didn't display in my own posts as I was previewing them. I changed to ordinary Firefox and all is now fine.

I only found out it was Firefox Quantum by going to Tools>Help>About Firefox. It looked identical to normal Firefox I had running on other computers.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Jeremy C said:

I had a recent issue on a computer running Firefox Quantum as the browser (whatever that is). Photographs, whether posted by me or someone else, simply disappeared, and they didn't display in my own posts as I was previewing them. I changed to ordinary Firefox and all is now fine.

I only found out it was Firefox Quantum by going to Tools>Help>About Firefox. It looked identical to normal Firefox I had running on other computers.

Isn't "Quantum" just the newer versions of Firefox?

30 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Not on my laptop it isn't. 

I found that I could view Dave's posts in Edge, so I put this down to a browser setting (possibly a file association?).   Dave then started amending the B & W photos before posting them and I can now see those, so maybe it's the file contents themselves which are the problem.

The flashing blue pane is what I see when RMWeb or t'Internet itself is being very slow and it eventually resolves itself to an image.  Where the images were lost in the Great Backup Debacle I just see filenames.

I've always linked my images from a remote site and although that brings its own problems it does seem to have sidestepped RMWeb's quite neatly.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Reorte said:

Apparently not, and when I uninstalled Firefox Quantum and installed Firefox, there was no option for "Quantum". The build numbers for the Quantum version on one machine and ordinary Firefox on another were completely different, not just what you might expect from one being more up to date than the other.

Before doing the uninstall, I did an update on the Firefox Quantum browser, but this didn't solve anything.

I suspect that Firefox Quantum might have been an alternative browser from a few years ago when I built that PC.

• RMweb Premium

Quantum was Firefox version 57, from November 2017 (apparently). My current version is 108.0.1 (it updated from 108.0.0 when I checked the version for this little missive).

• RMweb Gold

Is this not just a case of having to press "Refresh" ?

I have to do this all the time, and not just with RMWeb.

(Not including the RAID debacle that (permanently) lost a lot of pictures last year.)

Kev.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SHMD said:

Is this not just a case of having to press "Refresh" ?

I have to do this all the time, and not just with RMWeb.

(Not including the RAID debacle that (permanently) lost a lot of pictures last year.)

Kev.

I get the "refresh" issue on Chrome, but I don't have it on Firefox on any of my computers, as I recall.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

I use Chrome and even after refreshing and deleting all browsing history etc I can’t get images to load. I really spoils the website’s experience. It’s a shame as it is normally the first place I come to but may have to look elsewhere. 

On 15/12/2022 at 12:30, davidge said:

Me too...all over the place. I've tried Firefox, Chrome and Edge with all cookies and cleared and all I see are a lot (actually most) image links to a JPG or GIF with a 'throbbing' light blue background highlight.

An example of the error that is returned when I try and view an image is:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>HP9NJMFJB2A27YB6</RequestId>
<HostId>uKUmeSVhdMz2Qd9HdEwUAWoDiM28yGlQGW3EHnFOOIGi8+/cxPHaYgbUC5hoE9coi98C7MTiJzg=</HostId>
</Error>

I can see some images but most I cannot - and I'm including recent posts not just old ones. 

I'm now considering abandoning RMWeb because of this - images are crucial to understanding and appreciating many posts and responses.

exactly the same issue I have.