Jubilee Layout Challenge - Q&A

Portchullin Tatty

This thread is intended to provide a location for questions and answers associated with the rules, timings and procedures associated with the Scalefour Society's Jubilee Layout Challenge.

This post will be pinned at the head of the subforum and this initial post will summarise the key questions and answers for ease of reading:

Do I have to build a layout to 18.83 square feet in area?

No, this is a maximum size so you can make your layout any size you wish upto this so long as you comply with the other rules.

Does it matter if I have already started my layout?

Layouts that have already been started are eligable so long as they have not previously been exhibited or appeared in the model railway press (NB, a layout that was shown as an "under construction exhibit" would still be eligible so long as it was clearly under construction - if you have any doubt, please contact the challenge organisor).

Does the layout need to be to an 18.83mm track gauge?

The rules are that the layout needs to be built to P4 standards so that prototypes that were not 4'8 1/2" can be accomodated.  Thus, for example, 5'3" Irish standard gauge layouts built to P4 standardds would be admissible.  Layouts built to P87 standards are also admissible.  EM or finescale OO are not.

Is the challenge only open to members of the Scalefour Society?
There is no restriction limiting entries to members of the Scalefour Society so non-members are welcome to enter so long as thier layout meets the entry criteria.

There is mention of the recently introduced British Finescale Turnout kits, am I obliged to use these?

There is no requirement to use these kits but equally if you wish to then your layout would still be eligible.

How will the winners be selected?

The winners will be selected by way of a public vote to occur simultaneous with the final showing at Scalefourm 2026.

If I find that the completion of may entry layout is delayed, will I be afforded an opportunity to bring it to a future Scaleforum?
Yes, if for some reason your entry cannot be shown at Scaleforum 2026, we will provide you an opportunity to show it at a later date.

Edited by Portchullin Tatty
Adding additional answers
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I'm looking forward to the outcome. To my mind P4, although strictly speaking just a set of track and wheel standards, is also about developing a "finescale" attitude of mind. So I'm looking forward to seeing layouts that are as accurate in their portrayal of the operation of a real railway as they are in the appearance of the trackwork; layouts that will lead those using other standards to be inspired to raise their game.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

A very exciting proposal. I have been planning to get on with building a layout for quite some time and the society challenge has come at the right moment. Time to dust down the layout sketch book; rummage about in the track box, and find an interesting arrangement. 

I might have an idea (or five) bouncing around in my head. 👀 The question is, will it fit in the space? 💁‍♂️ 

Regards,

Nick.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

So I'm looking forward to seeing layouts that are as accurate in their portrayal of the operation of a real railway as they are in the appearance of the trackwork

It is quite possible to portray accurate operation in OO or EM or just about any other gauge you care to mention. I have come to the conclusion that the skills required for creating models to a high standard are mostly irrelevant to the research needed to understand what the real railways did, and why, which is necessary for realistic operation, and vice-versa. Another issue is that a layout operated realistically at home may not be compatible with exhibition conditions, where public expectations and understanding [or lack of it] may constrain the operator(s) to work in a less realistic manner. Also, layout builders will always concentrate on what most interests them...

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 09/10/2023 at 19:22, Penrhos1920 said:

Previous challenges have allowed people to use a car & trailer to transport the entry.  Is a trailer allowed this time?

The rules states:

d. The layout has to be portable and capable of being transported by a single car or similar size vehicle and exhibited by two people (see also

expense rule 14).

I was planning on starting a P4 layout so this might be the nudge i need!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

IanLMS,

I look forward to as many LMS entries as possible!

Mark

It will probably take me until dec 2024 just to come up with a suitable prototype location and a layout that will fit in the space i will have!!! I plan on a 9' x 2' scenic part with fiddle yards at both ends, whilst trying to keep within a min 42-48" radius. My room is 14' x 12' but a fair bit is taken up with my workbench and storage lol!!!! I am open to ideas though! I prefer to model the LMS during the late 1930's in the North West or Midlands. I have a few books on various LMS and S&C stations which i am trawling through but very few are jumping out at me. 

On 12/12/2023 at 16:40, ianLMS said:

The rules states:

d. The layout has to be portable and capable of being transported by a single car or similar size vehicle and exhibited by two people (see also

expense rule 14).

The previous S4 competition also had the same praise about being transported by a single car. The winning layout was by far the biggest of the entrants as it had come in a trailer.

On 14/12/2023 at 12:50, Penrhos1920 said:

The previous S4 competition also had the same praise about being transported by a single car. The winning layout was by far the biggest of the entrants as it had come in a trailer.

With explicit permission given to all of the entrants by the organisor.