Triang Horsebox

I've been on the lookout for a Lima horsebox for some time so as to do the same conversion as PMP (see his blog). I was a bit peeved at missing one at Hartlepool and one of the Ormesby chaps very kindly presented me with one he'd had lying about for many years. However, it's a Triang one.

He's removed the chassis and roof detail; is the body moulding anywhere close to a prototype (LMS?) or best placed in the rummage bin at the next show?

The prototype is the same as the Lima model - a 1930s GWR design (Like the Lima version, at one time it was available in GWR livery). It can be backdated to an earlier design by curving the lower part of the ends (cf the clerestory coaches). Again like the Lima version, the underframe is basically rubbish, but works. It depends how critical you are and also which version - there are several variations of the Tri-ang u/f - irrelevant as it's missing!. Bodywise the worst fault is the planking rendered in relief rather than grooved - a standard Tri-ang (and Hornby) cheap and nasty feature. It can be corrected, but is tricky and tedious. Some attention to the roof is desirable as well. I detailed one many years ago with new underframe, door furnitue and roof. I was quite pleased with it at the time, but then the Lima model came out....

Drawings are available in the standard Russell reference books and also the Roche drawings. IIRC it is quite close to scale.

For once Tri-ang designed an underframe for this and didn't bodge it. (Unlike the LMS cattle wagon which shares this u/f and was stretched to fit. This model is well past its sell by date as is the Mainline/Bachmann version which is too short.)

Unlike the LMS cattle wagon which shares this u/f and was stretched to fit. This model is well past its sell by date as is the Mainline/Bachmann version which is too short.

I have this crazy notion :rolleyes: that it might be possible to combine the underscale end sections of the Mainline one with the Triang bits (discarding their oversize doors) and possibly end up close to scale :blink: . I've not got either model to actually check the measurements of though! :D

I have this crazy notion :rolleyes: that it might be possible to combine the underscale end sections of the Mainline one with the Triang bits (discarding their oversize doors) and possibly end up close to scale :blink: . I've not got either model to actually check the measurements of though! :D

Possibly, but it would be a lot less trouble to assemble the Slater's kit (actually the MR design from which the LMS design evolved) (or even the K's kit of the LMS version, if you can find one). I seem to remember that the Tri-ang model is stretched all along its length, but since I threw mine out, when I acquired my first Slater's kit (the very early body kit), I don't have one to measure either. (This is overdue a rebuild as I assembled it as it came and it's too wide, as I found out when I added the other two to the collection.)

Here's the Hornby GWR horse box (The Tri-ang body on what appears to be an LNER underframe!?) http://www.modeltrai....asp?itemid=286

And the real thing http://www.gwsr.com/...ling-stock.aspx

I'm not sure the GWR bothered to pick out all the ironwork in black however.

Possibly, but it would be a lot less trouble to assemble the Slater's kit (actually the MR design from which the LMS design evolved) (or even the K's kit of the LMS version, if you can find one).

Quite - that's why it's a crazy notion.

And, yes, the longer Triang underframe is a bit LNERish in it's brake gear arrangement. Don't really know why given that there was nothing appropriate ever mounted on it!

So, not having the Russell book, it's a GWR one and supposed to be the same basic design as the Lima one? I have one of those on the way now, so I could always try to backdate this one although I have two of the Parkside ones as well. He has rounded the ends at the bottom like the Parkside diagram and as it has EM wheels and I'm in OO I suppose I could rework it as he intended and give it back.

I'll try to get the Russell book - any more specific description, title, ISBN? - from the library.

Thanks anyway, that's been very helpful.

A Pictorial record of Great Western Coaches including the Brown Vehicles Part II (1903-1948)

by J.H.Russell

Oxford Publishing Co. 1973

SBN 0 902888X

The back cover has 0 902888 04 8 on it.

There is also a later reprint.

Archived