Loksound XL buzzing

boxbrownie

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought before I get onto Howes, has anyone else had problems with Loksound XL making a buzzing noise when under power ie, running the motors?

At first I had assumed it was one of the motors on my Heljan 37 but after using a stethoscope I find it apppears to be one of the components on the XL itself!

It is actually quite noticable, I can hear it even when the sound is on, although I only have the sound running at a fairly low level admittidly.

• RMweb Gold

a reply from bryan at howes:

If I remember correctly it was caused by insufficient current on the controller transformer as Heljan loco motors can draw very high current, the buzzing is more apparent when CV63 is set at a low value.

i Suggest trying the loco/decoder out using a different controller, that will prove or disprove the problem.

If it doesnt send the decoder back with a covering note and it will be looked at and if it is faulty it will be replaced.

hope that helps.

• RMweb Premium

a reply from bryan at howes:

If I remember correctly it was caused by insufficient current on the controller transformer as Heljan loco motors can draw very high current, the buzzing is more apparent when CV63 is set at a low value.

i Suggest trying the loco/decoder out using a different controller, that will prove or disprove the problem.

If it doesnt send the decoder back with a covering note and it will be looked at and if it is faulty it will be replaced.

hope that helps.

Interesting, I can see the point, but this happens when just one motor bogie is connected as well,so doubt thats the problem, its a 2.5 amp controller with an 8 amp transformer, albeit limited to 2.5 amps by the controller.

Anyhoo, the decoder has gone back to Howes now to be looked at, and listened to as well I hope :D

Archived