South Wales industrial railways

How lucky you were....

Don't think I could get away with taking SWMBO around railway yards for very long

Let alone rope her into becoming my assistant.... ;)

Yes, I recall computers being rather expensive in the early 80's

And imagine the cost per photo now....

Loadsa money for the petrol, little by way of variety in wagon types...

Once again Paul, thank you so much for taking the time & trouble to create such a wonderfully useful resource!

Cheers again

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

And I couldn't get my ol' lady to see Bellowhead with all those violins. She was so grateful when Mostly Autumn lost their violinist, and I suspect she was the only person in the York Opera House that disliked the only time they played "The gap is too wide" with the necessary string quartet! Unlikely that MA will have strings with them at YOH on Thursday evening.

Paul Bartlett

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

And I couldn't get my ol' lady to see Bellowhead with all those violins.......

Paul Bartlett

No problem Paul,

Your hard work and generosity in sharing your pics haven't gone un-noticed

and please don't underestimate the value of them and appreciation of them by railway modellers :)

Saw Bellowhead a few weeks back, at the Coal Exchange in Cardiff

They were awesome! Even better than they were at Cambridge Folk Fest

SWMBO may not want to come along to railway yards, taking pics with me,

but there's no way I could have kept her from seeing Bellowhead live....

... and all those violins were brilliant

(PS. When is it a fiddle, and when is it a violin? Answers on a postcard....)

Cheers again

Marc

• 3 months later...

After a number of months in apparent hibernation - the thread is back. (only because I've discivered a few more slides !)

So here we are, Canton TMD in September 1973.

Lurking behind the 'main shed' amongst a line of shunters (including 4176, which I think was Cantons first air braked example) ) we find ex-GWR 8750 pannier No.9600.

If I remember correctly it had just ended its second career with the NCB at Merthyr Vale Colliery, Aberfan and was en-route to its third life, restoration and preservation at Tyseley.

Brian R

post-1599-0-87758600-1364154550_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-84164400-1364154767_thumb.jpg

Brian, may I post a request? I was at uni in Trefforest so would love to see any pics you have of Pontypridd or the surrounding area from back in the day, if you come across any.

Thanks again for one of my favourite threads!

Another 'stranger in the camp' or in this case Canton TMD.

12054 was built at Derby in 1949, withdrawn from Chester in July 1970, and sold from there in September 1971 to Messrs A.R.Adams of Newport.

For those who didn't know, Adams were a long established Newport company of boilersmiths and dealers in surplus industrial locomotives. By the 1970s they  owned a small fleet of ex-BR shunters (Cl.03 D2139/78/81/82/8693, Cl.04 D2244/76 and and Cl.11 - 12054).

12054 was hired to the NCB at Mountain Ash, Tower (Hirwaun) and Mardy (Maerdy) from where it was scrapped in 1984.

It was repaired at Canton in 1979, but this photo was taken there circa 1973.

Brian

post-1599-0-02717500-1364232313_thumb.jpg

Brian, may I post a request? I was at uni in Trefforest so would love to see any pics you have of Pontypridd or the surrounding area from back in the day, if you come across any.

Thanks again for one of my favourite threads!

I have some of Ponty in my collection, from the late 60s and early 70s.

For certain reasons, I will PM them to you.

Brian R

BTW

My son went to Treforest as well.

• 3 weeks later...

We went to South Wales at the end of January, I managed to shoot a few 'Tata blues' for the first time. As well as a refurbished Trojan, one of older Brush Bagnalls has been done.

IMG_5618-921-XL.jpg

921 brings a set of covered steel wagons out of Port Talbot steel works. This Trojan shunter built by Corus at Scunthorpe in 2008 - 09 was rebuilt and repainted, along with the other 3 to this design, at LH Group/Hunslet in 2012 26/1/13

IMG_5621-903-XL.jpg

903, a Brush Bagnall locomotive built for Port Talbot steelworks in the 1950s pauses between moves, seen from Margam Knuckle Yard. It is believed that the Tata Steel blue livery is a very recent application 26/1/13

IMG_5634-921-XL.jpg

921 pauses before entering Margam Knuckle Yard to collect the empty wagons from 6V05 from Round Oak. This Trojan shunter built by Corus at Scunthorpe in 2008 - 09 was rebuilt and repainted, along with the other 3 to this design, at LH Group/Hunslet in 2012 26/1/13

IMG_5636-921-XL.jpg

921 pauses in Margam Knuckle Yard whilst collecting the empty wagons brought in on 6V05 from Round Oak by 66004 26/1/13

IMG_5645-66188-6V13-08737-66095-66004-XL

66188 (along with the wagons it brought in on 6V13 from Dollands Moor), 08737, 66095 and 66004 sit in a quiet Margam Knuckle Yard 26/1/13

jo

Came across what appeared to be a disused railway line while gorge walking near Pontneddfechan on Friday. The village hall was clearly a former goods shed and there is a footbridge oUver the river with rather substantial stone piers that appeared to have been a railway bridge in a former life. Unfortunately I was unable to take much in the way of photos, although I did take one of the village hall from the goods shed on departure in the minibus. Haven't had chance to upload yet, but if it's half decent I will post it later.

Came across what appeared to be a disused railway line while gorge walking near Pontneddfechan on Friday. The village hall was clearly a former goods shed and there is a footbridge oUver the river with rather substantial stone piers that appeared to have been a railway bridge in a former life. Unfortunately I was unable to take much in the way of photos, although I did take one of the village hall from the goods shed on departure in the minibus. Haven't had chance to upload yet, but if it's half decent I will post it later.

This may have been connected with the silica mine at Pont Nedd Fechan (for some reason dad referred to it as Pont Neath Vaughan); it supplied silica-rich sandstone for refractory brick to Richard Thomas and Baldwin, the bricks themselves being made at the former Siemens works at Landore. Dad did some work at the mine, though I'm not sure what exactly; it was before I was old enough to go round with him i.e.the late 1950s.

Here's an interesting link:-

http://www.breconbeacons.org/visit-us/things-to-do-and-see/towns-and-villages/pontneddfechan

• 3 months later...

I have posted my photographs of the Henry Morris tanks at "Henry Morris & LP Tank wagons Baltic Oil" (C#1943295) – 19 photographs

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c1943295.html

- note that much longer ago I posted APOC 1581 = LP120 twin tank of 1927 in detail – 18 photographs

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c454904.html

Interesting to learn the tanks appear to still be there. I would expect the twin tank to be of interest to conservationists - although it has been suggested it was unique (it is the one illustrated when new in Tourret's books as well as elsewhere.

Paul Bartlett

I popped down to the site when I was 'home' in April and can report that the wagons have now gone. I was actually trying to get a decent picture of the building itself, with the idea of using the photo to create a low-relief building, but unfortunately there was a big bright yellow lorry in the way....

post-4916-0-39372400-1374665654.jpg

Given the piles of junk I assumed the site was being cleared by a new owner/tenant, but reading the posts again I notice that the lorry is owned by non other than Henry Morris...

The wagons have certainly gone and a real shame about the APOC twin tank. There were certainly a few of that design - not only LP120 visited Henry Morris regularly but so did identical LP122. And that suggests there may have once been an LP121 too. Now there are none!

Hywel

• 5 months later...

Bri, what was the green 08, parked around the back of the shed at Canton in the late 70's......if I remember it was devoid of coupling rods.

I lost nearly all of my notes, pics et when I joined up and mother ditched them all, being so much junk!!!

I have one sketchy packet of 126 prints from a trip from Llandaff to Newcastle (remember those BRday excursions) a few combis......and ABCs........and that's about it. :(

Neil,

There were several green liveried ex-BR shunters that visited Canton for repairs over the years, (from memory) possibly D3000, D3183 ?, D3255, D3261, D4092 and 12054.

Over the weekend I'll check my records and get back to you

Brian R

Archived