Lavington Cement

Steadfast

Well, this is it. I'm committing to actually building a layout. Something I've never done before...

Anywho, onwards.

The Background

The setting is near Market Lavington, on the northern fringe of Salisbury plain. I'm adjusting history slightly, in saying that there was a line built linking the Berks and Hants route out of Westbury with the Salisbury to Basingstoke line. The northern junction is at Great Cheverell, with the Chocolate Poodle pub a Littleton Pannell located in between the two lines. Only the bridge carrying the Berks and Hants suffers bridge strikes, the level of the road meaning that the Salisbury line has greater clearance. The southern end of the line is at East Gomeldon, just outside Salisbury. Incidentally this village is where my dad grew up. Stone trains to Hamworthy and other locations on the Southern (except Woking) run via this line, as although it's further, it prevents a run round at Westbury. The Woking ones run via the Wylye valley, as the other route would still require a run round, albeit at Salisbury. The Lavington cement works has survived, despite the proximity of Westbury, as it is supplying many MoD and private projects around the Salisbury plain area.

post-6899-12584160525182_thumb.jpg

Layout overview

My aim with this project is to provide a small, easy to transport layout that offers some prototypical operation based on the current scene and operations on the "real railway". This is partly because I want to be able to use my existing stock, to save money, but also because while I know many people enjoy playing with 3 wagons and a shunter in as small a space as possible, for me (and it's probably down to my attention span) there is very little longevity, so something a little larger, with a bit more scope for manoeuvres is more my cup of tea. To be honest if the layout ends up anywhere near complete (and working) I'll be dead chuffed. It'll be N gauge, DC, Peco Code 55 track with wire in tube point operation.

Operations

The supplies the cement works need are delivered by rail. Due to the size of the works, many of the trains are short in comparison with similar flows elsewhere. With privatisation, the stabling point next to the works passed to EWS. Originally, they also had the supply contract for the works, but Lafarge/Blue Circle shifted allegiance to Freightliner HH for it's cement trains, formed of PCAs, with the occasional Cargowaggon as necessary for bagged products. Eventually the coal was transferred to FLHH too, with the change seeing a move to a short rake of HHAs taking over from HAAs on the traffic originating at Portbury import terminal. This sees the short rake of 9 or so hoppers staying in the Bristol area and operating only on the Portbury-Lavington circuit. Rumour has it Fastline are interested in this flow, amongst other short set runs, to try to find work for their 56s. Limestone arrives from Merehead with Foster Yeoman/Aggregate Industries supplying stone, again in short trains, and a variety of traction can be seen, including 59s and 60s, despite the short trains, the low distance involved (1hr 20 from Merehead) means any spare traction can be pressed into use. The works employs an ex BR class 08 for shunting, and hires one of the two tracks at the stabling point from EWS. This means they can fuel and exam the 08, and FLHH locos can also be seen stabled up and gaining fuel. Although Westbury is nearby, it cannot fuel locos, and Lavington is more convenient than either there or Westbury for Salisbury area workings, so EWS stuff does make an appearance at the stabling point too. The line also sees passenger workings from South West Trains and Wessex/FGW, although I'm undecided as to whether this'll be represented on the layout or not.

Will dig some boards out from the garage this week

Till next time

jo

A quick update to add my sketched trackplan - this was done very quickly at lunch time on Sunday.

post-6899-12584775409716_thumb.jpg

post-6899-12584775624843_thumb.jpg

Some bits in addition to the text, the roads requiring a reversal for access are the stabling roads. The "4ft ish" refers to the length of the second line down - this being the length of a 66 and 10 hoppers. The boards are 6ft by 2ft, and there will be some cassettes in the fiddle yard, and fixed cassettes to run onto on both the cement and aggregate roads. Although they are currently a plain rectangle, there is no saying the boards will stay this way, especially if I end up running short of square inches!!!

jo

Like this idea - I live in Durrington - interesting to mentally visualise the route - we looked at and almost bought an bungalow in East Gomeldon - its appeal was that it overlooked the SW main line but unfortunately it was pretty run-down and right next to that BIG field full of buried mustard gas shells !! :O so Durrington won - lovely area - real shame all the railways up thorugh Amesbury / Tidworth etc have gone.

Don't forget the VDA vans full of ammunition to off load for the ammo dump at Larkhill(Fargo)etc.... !!

Oh the joys of being so near Porton! I beleive various fields around Gomeldon have similar treasures buried in them. Aparently the 1960s were interesting, with many test flights from Boscombe down. The thought of possible MoD traffics did cross my mind - got plenty of MoD containers, flat wagons and VGA vans to use as barriers, though it would depend on whether or not I fit in some mainline on the plan.

cool.gif

jo

Ah, not far from Chittle country then wink.gif

Hi Martin, I'd forgotten the locality of Chittle! Isn't Paxton Road not a million miles away either, though the other side of Salisbury.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with

Yeah me too! Rather worried as it's my first attempt at anything more than an oval of track on some chipboard

I'm sitting it out this time - already got a project on the go which is too big rolleyes.gif

Don't blame ya, I've been keeping an eye, and it looks like an interesting project, despite all that Southern-ness. And if they ever get round to a 59 or 60, I'll be investing in a big white box toolaugh.gif

Anyway, back to the N and trying to figure out the best way of adding in some main line.

jo

• RMweb Gold

The setting is near Market Lavington, on the northern fringe of Salisbury plain. I'm adjusting history slightly, in saying that there was a line built linking the Berks and Hants route out of Westbury with the Salisbury to Basingstoke line.

Hi

The layout I'm building at home is based on a similar idea. My version runs SE from the Berks and Hants to join up with the M&SWJR. My problem with (The supposed North Wiltshire Railway) is that is would be in all probability be an ex GW line and I wanted it to be A Southern route - I guess that the section north of Andover on the M&SWJR had SR running rights!?! Ah well I guess that's my problem. ? But I like your idea. Maybe your route from the south might offer a solution

PS It's all Chittle's fault!

There's a common theme here about cross Hants / Wilts lines - I've modelled Winchester in the loft including Winchester Jn and the fact that the lines to Alton / the Didcot, Newbury & Southampton never closed - excuse to run absolutely anything !!

Well, Winchester is the other side of Salisbury, Martin, so I was right. Well, sort of laugh.gif

To be honest, I chose to model that area because it's somewhere I know relatively well, and is a bit different to Mendips and Bristol, two areas I have looked into modelling, and probably will some day. By following the roads accross the Plain, it keeps the war zone clear - a line through the middle of it may not be popular with either the army or the railway!

The DN&S is funny old line isn't it - closed years ago, think of all the traffic that could use it now with the amount of freight being generated in the Southampton area

Now then, I've got to try and work out where I've put my supply of track so I can try laying it out on the boards

cheers

jo

Oh the joys of being so near Porton! I beleive various fields around Gomeldon have similar treasures buried in them. Aparently the 1960s were interesting, with many test flights from Boscombe down. The thought of possible MoD traffics did cross my mind - got plenty of MoD containers, flat wagons and VGA vans to use as barriers, though it would depend on whether or not I fit in some mainline on the plan.

cool.gif

jo

Still poor old Imber doesn't get a railway!

John Bruce Turin60.

• 1 month later...

Still poor old Imber doesn't get a railway!

John Bruce Turin60.

Ha! laugh.gif It did get a bus service for a day or two in September though wink.gif

Well today, having bought some wood yesterday at B&Q while my parents looked for a new kitchen, I've managed to get some legs made up. It took all day, which it seems like it really shouldn't have, but wood and stuff like that always seems to take me ages, resulting in me getting frustrated at the lack of progress.

The boards I'm going to use have been built for a few years, but never got legs - so this is the furthest I've ever got in terms of layout progress blink.gif It's not pretty so I can't really call it woodwork, but hey, it's made of wood, and it works. The idea is that the two sets of legs lying on the floor will be at the outer ends, and the set standing up will be the centre legs, the main section being made of two 3ft by 2ft boards, to give an area 6 by 2 feet. The legs are 4ft high

post-6899-12620381506641_thumb.jpg

Next step - attatching legs to the baseboards, and hoping it all goes to plan

jo

So today I managed to attach the legs to the boards. They need some kind of 45 degree bracing to hold the legs steady, but it seems to be getting somewhere near looking like a base for a layout. Though after all the effort, I am inclined to agree with dad. Why didn't I just buy a pasting table? icon_mutter.gif

Anyway, some pictures of progress, including trains on the layout!

post-6899-12625527911302_thumb.jpg

post-6899-12625528948845_thumb.jpg

post-6899-12625529201784_thumb.jpg

post-6899-12625532176904_thumb.jpg

Ambitious but rubbish seem to be a fair evaluation of progress so far... laugh.gif

cheers

jo

• 3 weeks later...

Archived