Byker Gate 7mm BR (NE) Suburban Station Junction

Nortonian

Here`s some progress on the sleepering.

I mark the sleeper ends at the position to be fixed. I also mark the nearest rail. Next the sleeper positions are marked and spaced as required. This is also transfered from the turnout template.

post-7282-12604055609459_thumb.jpg

The sleepers are then glues in position.

post-7282-12604056474041_thumb.jpg

post-7282-12604056976466_thumb.jpg

The completed point and lead-in trackwork.

post-7282-12604057694229_thumb.jpg

The templates can be used again this way, but I tend to just use them for one project. Well that`s enough for one night me finks !.icon_yawn.gif

Hi Mick,

A little more progress on the boards today as I managed to get some more cork underlay down. I have laid the double track section and the link to the avoiding line. I might start to lay some sleepers tonight whilst its a quiet job and undisturbing to those trying to sleep.

post-7282-12603959748604_thumb.jpg

The cork is wider than required, but this allows for some flexibility in alignment. The excess will be trimmed and cut back as required. I`ve spent this evening cutting J71 parts, so expect some photo`s on that thread tomorrow.

Kindest

Ian.

Cheers for the links J.P, very useful. I've had a good browse around the C+L website and added it to my favourates smile.gif

Ian, real progress now, I bet you can't wait to get the sleepers down. Make sure you get a bit of sleep though!! time soon flies by when you're having fun, top tip when you hear the birds singing it's time to go to bed biggrin.gif

Happy P-way bashing Mick

PS how did the J72 and J71 go down at the NEGOM??

Hi Mick,

More sleepering done this evening and marking up the double junction. Time consuming angry.gif .

The NEGOM meeting is not until this evening, but I hav`nt had much time as I anticipated to get on with the J71, although I have been cutting out the frames this evening. Pictures tomorrow.

I went to the NYMR today to photograph the track as it was a sunny day. I went specifically to get an idea of colours of the sleepers. Here`s a couple of pics.

post-7282-1260491154105_thumb.jpg

post-7282-12604911847491_thumb.jpg

post-7282-12604912224818_thumb.jpg

post-7282-12604912513258_thumb.jpg

post-7282-12604913270814_thumb.jpg

I will post some progress photo`s in the morning.

Ian

Just two more photo`s of the sleepering I laid last night.

I bought a couple of bags of `Seconds` quite some time ago. These are bags of sleepers that are slightly deformed or short in length, but they are very useful for the begining of turnouts, ie, the shorter sleepers and all loose in the bags. They need to be sorted out into lengths, so I have done that and bagged them up seperately. Some are more common than others so they will need to be cut to have better use out of them. They were about a third of their normal price. If C&L still do this, then I recommend you buying them when you see them at shows.

post-7282-12605209704301_thumb.jpg

This next photo is a close up of the start of the interlacing. I tried to think long and hard about the problems encountered at baseboard joints. I guess its never going to be easy. At the top of the photo, this shows the start of the double track junction. I have not got all the cork laid down in this area yet so this will be todays job. I will not get chance to do much more until Monday after today.

post-7282-12605209881728_thumb.jpg

I see the viewings on this thread have rapidly gone up, so I think there must be one or two of you interested. If it tempts anyone to take the 7mm plunge, then I will be happy.

Kindest

Ian

Just two more photo`s of the sleepering I laid last night.

I bought a couple of bags of `Seconds` quite some time ago. These are bags of sleepers that are slightly deformed or short in length, but they are very useful for the begining of turnouts, ie, the shorter sleepers and all loose in the bags. They need to be sorted out into lengths, so I have done that and bagged them up seperately. Some are more common than others so they will need to be cut to have better use out of them. They were about a third of their normal price. If C&L still do this, then I recommend you buying them when you see them at shows.

post-7282-12605209704301_thumb.jpg

This next photo is a close up of the start of the interlacing. I tried to think long and hard about the problems encountered at baseboard joints. I guess its never going to be easy. At the top of the photo, this shows the start of the double track junction. I have not got all the cork laid down in this area yet so this will be todays job. I will not get chance to do much more until Monday after today.

post-7282-12605209881728_thumb.jpg

I see the viewings on this thread have rapidly gone up, so I think there must be one or two of you interested. If it tempts anyone to take the 7mm plunge, then I will be happy.

Kindest

Ian

Ian, Thanks for posting the pictures of the NYMR, its always great to see good prototype photos, not sure how you're going to model that badly splintered and damaged sleeper biggrin.gif . It's strange that as modellers we strive for perfect trackwork, level straight rails with perfectly smooth running curves. Look at that strecth on the NYMR looking towards Pickering at Levisham. If you saw that on a model you would wonder how they kept there models on the road !! I remeber a few footplate journeys when you were thrown about on the footplate quite violently and at one stage there seemed to be line speed restrictions all over the place because of dropped joints, impossible to keep time sad.gif . I know we have to keep the p-way on our models as perfect a possible to acheive the best running but if only we could model the odd badly laid siding ?? At least we're not in danger of breaking springs on our models biggrin.gif .

Really enjoying the thread Ian and i'm hoping to follow in your foot steps next year at some point so it's great to have a 'step by step' guide,

Thanks Mick

I know we have to keep the p-way on our models as perfect a possible to acheive the best running but if only we could model the odd badly laid siding ?? At least we're not in danger of breaking springs on our models biggrin.gif .

Really enjoying the thread Ian and i'm hoping to follow in your foot steps next year at some point so it's great to have a 'step by step' guide,

Thanks Mick

Hi Mick,

No disrespect to the smaller gauges but with 7mm and above you can get away with quite uneven trackwork, especially if the loco and rolling stock have some form of springing.

Regards, Martyn.

Hi Martyn, Mick,

Yes it is strange how we need to get all wrinkles ironed out on both engines and track, but I suspect some things just don`t scale down too well. I would love to replicate some of the damages we see on old photo`s of engines. Its a risk.unsure.gif

Andrew,

Just caught up with your thread, the flowing trackwork is more like what I wanted but I have not got the space to introduce more curvature unfortunately.angry.gif There is some interesting entries on the challenge,..................Oh and others toomellow.gif

Generally, I am not happy with the pace of things. I was expecting to have much more done by now, but flippin life gets in the way !. Updates this week may be a bit sparse.

Kindest

Ian

Hi JB,

I just started off with a little spark which has now flourished into something more substantial, but that came about because I got moving on the idea I had. The more I did, the more the ideas flowed. Try it !.smile.gif

I have done some more sleepering tonight and I am now reaching the half way stage. I might even place some rails down later, just for the hell of it ! I need to build this brakevan quick to test the track out.blink.gif

More photo`s to follow soon.

Ian

The sleepering is now almost done and with a tail wind, I should be just about complete by late tomorrow night when I will post some updated photo`s, he said.mellow.gif

As Xmas approaches, the free time becomes ever shorter leading up to the main event, so it is unlikely that any work will take place between this Friday and Monday, at best. I`ll be glad when its all over for another year. Just a lot of unnecessary expense in my book.angry.gif

Kindest

Ian (Bah humbug)

Okay,

Flipping Christmas has ruined plans to get `any` work done this week except for a few chairs threaded onto some rails. Not much to show just yet, so I guess it just leaves me to wish one and all a Happy Christmas and much jollyment !. I will be able to grab the odd hour here and there but nothing substantial. I will update as and when I can.

Okay,

Flipping Christmas has ruined plans to get `any` work done this week except for a few chairs threaded onto some rails. Not much to show just yet, so I guess it just leaves me to wish one and all a Happy Christmas and much jollyment !. I will be able to grab the odd hour here and there but nothing substantial. I will update as and when I can.

Christmas has a nasty habit of ruining any plans for modelling, I tried the other day but the wife had a list of jobs as long as my arm to do !! At least all the sleepering is done and thats a good mile stone to reach. Looking forward to Byker Gate coming on in the new year a pace, Merry Christma,

Mick

Hello Mick,

Merry Christmas to you too !. I hope to get back onto this challenge around Sunday/Monday hopefully, depending on how many mince pies have gone down the gullet to allow me to bend to see what I`m doing.

This glass of Islay is good though.biggrin.gif

Kindest

Ian

Right, well,

Sunday/Monday has brought about a little progress to the fixing of rails and chairs. An enjoyable couple of hours as seen almost eight foot of rails go down, with perhaps a little more in the morning. Not sure if photo`s are required actually as Dikitriki made a well documented thread on point building on the old site.

Maybe one or two to follow eh ?.

Ian

This will be excellent Ian! Don't lose your momentum and keep those photos coming...

All the best

Simon

Hello Simon,

Sorry progress is a bit slow, but besides Christmas, I am helping out other people in a non railway business...................... CHOCOLATE ,so its even better than trains !. Soon as I get back home, I will post some progress shots, but keep an eye on my J71/2 build thread. Things are about to take off !.

Take care

Ian

Okay, now that we`ve got the festive blurb out of the way, its time to crack on I think !.angry.gif

These next seven days will see some leaps both here and in my J71/2 thread as I need to get one of the tanks finished by Friday coming. In between soldering nickel, I will be posting progress photo`s here of the trackwork etc.

Having had to build a 12th scale model of a Shop for another project, I have discovered that the world of Dolls Houses can offer a fantastic selection of sectional timber, and its cheap compared to our hobby I feel. So if you are building something from wood, pop along to your nearest Dolls House Emporium and see their range. I`m impressed.smile.gif

I have been able to thread more chairs this last week and now in a position to add some photographs to the thread here. The daylight hours offer better viewing for photography, but that depends on whether the snow clouds will let the current bun shine through. Lets hope. Tonight's southbound journey from Newcastle, was pretty horrendous to say the least.blink.gif

Track photo`s to follow.

Kindest

Ian

Here`s some track building photo`s for your entertainment, be it comedy or otherwise.unsure.gif

post-7282-12624335353119_thumb.jpg

The track gauges are the C&L 31mm type. It does severely restrict sideplay being 1mm narrower, but that is fine for straight sections.

post-7282-12624336983836_thumb.jpg

post-7282-1262433736033_thumb.jpg

The gap in the L/H rail opposite the hammer head, is where the catch point will be located.

All the switchblades will be filed, not bought as I have 30m of rail to use up. Progress will now be turned onto the J71 and updates here late in the day as this next week unfolds.

Ian

Looking good Ian. I am looking forward to seeing progress on your loco builds. I quite fancy having a go myself.

Thankyou Rob,

Have you now moved up to 7mm yourself ?. I thought I saw a few threads linked to 7mm and your name.

The frames of the J71 are now cut out and I am on with the bufferbeams and stretchers. Home made axleboxes next.

Kindest

Ian

Ian, you are right I have dipped my toe firmly in the water. Starting with an LMS full brake (birthday pressie) and Mrs P has just surprised me with a DJH A3 in 7mm for Christmas. I am not however planning on giving up 4mm yet for some time - too many kits in the pile to build and enjoy.

But having scratch built an interior for the BG in brass I do fancy having a go at scratch building a loco in 7mm, something along the lines of your J71 or 2 I will need to obtain plans and photos etc first - Did you get yours from the NRM? I am not sure whether to gather info and build it post the A3 or as a warm up to it.

Ian, you are right I have dipped my toe firmly in the water. Starting with an LMS full brake (birthday pressie) and Mrs P has just surprised me with a DJH A3 in 7mm for Christmas. I am not however planning on giving up 4mm yet for some time - too many kits in the pile to build and enjoy.

But having scratch built an interior for the BG in brass I do fancy having a go at scratch building a loco in 7mm, something along the lines of your J71 or 2 I will need to obtain plans and photos etc first - Did you get yours from the NRM? I am not sure whether to gather info and build it post the A3 or as a warm up to it.

Rob,

Generally it is suggested to build the smaller engine first as the task is not so onerous. The J71 sold by Connoisseur is a great little kit. You can add extra detail to suit if you wish, depending on your engine of choice. I am led to belief the J72 sold by John Fozzard of NE Design is also a nice kit, but it is the etches only and you must source your own castings. Unless I am wrong of course.unsure.gif The DJH kit is over priced.

If you fancy a scratchbuild, then I suggest you build in Nickel as its so much easier. The drawing I have is of the later build J72 Pipe`n`Rod. Being a NELPG member gives me access to the real thing, so info and photo`s are available to you if you desire ?. Plenty of help here if you need it.

Kindest

Ian

Archived