Byker Gate 7mm BR (NE) Suburban Station Junction

Nortonian

Rob,

Generally it is suggested to build the smaller engine first as the task is not so onerous. The J71 sold by Connoisseur is a great little kit. You can add extra detail to suit if you wish, depending on your engine of choice. I am led to belief the J72 sold by John Fozzard of NE Design is also a nice kit, but it is the etches only and you must source your own castings. Unless I am wrong of course.unsure.gif The DJH kit is over priced. I must say I have deliberately not looked at the price it being a gift

If you fancy a scratchbuild, then I suggest you build in Nickel as its so much easier. The drawing I have is of the later build J72 Pipe`n`Rod. Being a NELPG member gives me access to the real thing, so info and photo`s are available to you if you desire ?. Plenty of help here if you need it.

Kindest

Ian

I will definitely take you up on that Ian. It is a scratch build I fancy rather than a kit. Cheers.

Hello Rob,

You are welcome to any info I can supply to help your build. By following the J71 thread, it will give you an insight into what`s involved.

My comment on the DJH kit by the way, was about the J72 not your A3.

Kindest

Ian

Here is another three shots of progress so far, well on the lower line at least.

This first photograph is just to show progress on the catch point on the entry/exit line to the shed and the goods avoiding line.

post-7282-12625564893263_thumb.jpg

Next almost eight feet of track.

post-7282-12625565058668_thumb.jpg

And finally that catch point in relation to the rest.

post-7282-12625565225854_thumb.jpg

Onwards and upwards.blink.gif

Ian

Hi,

I`m on with pointwork at present as I am cutting the long stockrails from the 1m lengths of rail, then using the offcuts elsewhere. I will post photo`s as I progress on the first B6. Here`s a picture of the jig I have made for the crossing Vee`s.

A driver error is preventing me from adding the photofile.angry.gif I`ll try again later

Ian

A little more progress if anyone is interested. Is anyone interested or has this all become a bit boring, perhaps ?.

Here`s the completed catch point.

post-7282-12627352309029_thumb.jpg

The first turnout Vee off the jig.

post-7282-12627352975507_thumb.jpg

Next the beginnings of the first B6

post-7282-12627353682415_thumb.jpg

More to follow tomorrow.

Ian

A little more progress if anyone is interested. Is anyone interested or has this all become a bit boring, perhaps ?.

Here`s the completed catch point.

No keep going, I'm following it with interest. I'm just about starting my 7mm track work for the challenge so I'm hoping to pick up a few tips.

Is the catch point going to be operational or is it just cosmetic?

No keep going, I'm following it with interest. I'm just about starting my 7mm track work for the challenge so I'm hoping to pick up a few tips.

Is the catch point going to be operational or is it just cosmetic?

Thankyou Adrian,

I only asked as I know this has been covered in depth on the old site, and if people were bored with it then I may as well jump a few steps ahead that`s all, but glad you are keeping up.

I guess by the viewing figures that someone must be watching this ?. The catch point will be operational, there`s one more to come.

Kindest

Ian

I for one keep following with interest, keep it up Ian.

J.P. Venus

Thanks JP,

As I said, I don`t want to bore people with the early stages. Perhaps with all this snow, it reduces the opportunity to go outside for the sake of it and get on with building track. Mind you, the error messages on here don`t help either !. Technology, phah !.unsure.gif

Ian

Hi Ian,

please keep it going, I'm being drawn into this build your own track lark more and more as I plan for a layout later in the year.

best wishes from a very snowy Wirral.

Mike

Hello Mike,

Yes, we`ve got another large dollop of the white stuff this morning. Still, the ever growing population of ducks on the village pond are benefitting from all the stale bread and buns. There was over a hundred Mallards there yesterday and beyond.

post-7282-12627758881895_thumb.jpg

I would`nt use any othe track system now, although I have not used the special chairs available from Exactoscale as I should, because I have enough C&L stock to keep me going without buying more for this layout, which will only end up in the tip. Its a fore runner for something quaint later on.

Regards

Ian

Ay up Ian, i'm always watching mate only just been able to get on to the computer. Keep the photos coming, I plan to use the thread later next year when hopefully I'll start my Dock layout,

Cheers Mick

And welcome to Lapland, enjoy your stay.wink.gif

J.P.

Thanks JP,

It was only a flying visit down to Benidorm to pick up a caravan my SWMBO had brought on flea bay :blink: Don't ask yes I must be mad:icon_wow: and if you think you have had some snow here it was over 2 foot in most of north western France on the way back up and yes the traffic WAS still moving and there was food in the shops !!!!

All the best, Martyn.

Hi Chaps,

Because of the server/error message problems here, I have decided not to try uploading any more info for a little while, until Andy manages to rectify the faults which must be a pain.

Kindest

Ian

P.S. Thanks for the kind words by the way.

Hello Ian,

Good progress! Is this Scale 7 or 7mm finescale? It's going to look very nice once finished but will be quite a test of your building speed (re: the October deadline). Good luck with everything.

All the best

Simon

Hello Simon,

We appear to be working again.smile.gif

This is 7mm finescale but built to 31mm track not to 32mm. This applies to the straight areas, but I have gone back to 32mm for the curves to allow more sideplay for the 0-8-0`s and WD`s. The gaps between the check-rail sides is shallower which gives a nicer look.

This small diorama fits okay for finescale but would be nice in Scale 7 if space permitted,...... as usual !.

The layout will be finished no problem and I may even make another entry.blink.gif

Kindest

Ian

Lets try uploading a few more images before it goes off again, eh ?.

Here`s the crossing Vee in position.

post-7282-12632977625998_thumb.jpg

I work in many areas of the trackwork to use up offcuts of rail, so here`s a photo of progress elsewhere.

post-7282-12632978567982_thumb.jpg

These are the two track gauges used for this build. The one on the left is the 31mm gauge and 32mm on the right.

post-7282-12632979544977_thumb.jpg

Where long lengths of rail have a joint but don`t need to be cut, I just make a cut in the sides and rail top, which is then filed with a triangular file. A cosmetic fishplate will be added later.

post-7282-12632981062879_thumb.jpg

and lastly, a little more progress on the pointwork.

post-7282-1263298200054_thumb.jpg

More to follow as and when.

Kindest

Ian

I`ll nip in here quick in case it all goes off again.

This is the checkrail supported by three chairs and completed by half chairs once in place. The boltheads need removing to allow it to be placed correctly.

post-7282-12634757853905_thumb.jpg

And now in place.

post-7282-12634758357326_thumb.jpg

Progress elsewhere.

post-7282-12634758846112_thumb.jpg

More on the pointwork crossing.

post-7282-12634759572682_thumb.jpg

post-7282-12634759998363_thumb.jpg

Finally for now.

post-7282-12634760641606_thumb.jpg

Did it all work ? blink.gif unsure.gif

Hi Ian,

P-way is coming on great and is really starting to come to life, it would be great to see the J71 running on it biggrin.gif When is the first run planned for?? Keep up the inspiring work,

Best regards Mick

Archived