RJR 2010 layout in 45mm :)

johnteal

Mmmmmm this challange was pointed out to me by a fellow CRM member and despite having enough on my plate it has brought a new desire to get on with a unusual plan of a G scale micro layout (yes i am mad)

This summer I moved up from On30 to some G scale in the garden, I say G scale but it is "on the cheap" ie playmobil with new scratchbuilt bodies. Yes some of you have switched of thinking playmobil = toys but with a bit of plasticard they can start looking half decent ! well I think so anyway.....

Some of the stock that will be used

Short 4 wheel wagons

SDC13793.jpg

Main power

SDC13483.jpg

SDC13476.jpg

In case the weather gets bad

SDC14440.jpg

SDC14456.jpg

On rare occasions, athought it will be a squeeze !!!

SDC13980.jpg

The plan is to use 8' by 18" which if my maths is correct is just under 1800 square inches. The plan has developed thanks to discussions with my friends on CRM over the past few months but no work has started as yet.

Track, I will probably end up using playmobil point work for ease...but the straight section I think I may well just use a router into the baseboard as it will end up as paved infill anyway. But how will the trains power ? forgot to mention that the playmo mechanisms the locos are built on are battery / RC power so I dont need live rails.

So here is the plan

gdock3.jpg

gdock1.jpg

gdock2.jpg

Very much a micro layout plan hopefully the action will come from heavy use of the fiddle yard hidden behind/in the warehouse

Nothing will start untill the new year I doubt but its still being worked on in my head !

• 1 month later...

One of the jobs I have got done over the Christmas break is clearing space for this project !!! :D I have plans in my head for Baseboard construction. Brackets are fixed on the shed wall under the workbench to hold said baseboard halves.

I have been reconsidering the track plan though, If any one has any observations for the operating potential feel free to shout out !!

Although not completely clear the double track hidden in the shed is planned to be a traverser.

John

One of the jobs I have got done over the Christmas break is clearing space for this project !!! :D I have plans in my head for Baseboard construction. Brackets are fixed on the shed wall under the workbench to hold said baseboard halves.

I have been reconsidering the track plan though, If any one has any observations for the operating potential feel free to shout out !!

Although not completely clear the double track hidden in the shed is planned to be a traverser.

John

John,

Don't forget ,in the rules 7mm and above can have scenic area of 2010 sq ins + a fiddle area .. so you could increase the visible area of the layout ....

PS ...love the idea of routed track ...excellent .. ;)

Regards Trevor .. :D

Thanks SNCF.

Trevor I would love to use the rules to full advantage but I have just about cleared enough room for the 2 48" x 18" boards !!!!

Having given the plan more thought I think the big problem I cant get my head round is traffic coming in and out from inside the shed! I have been looking for alternate ideas of entry and exit scenic sections.

John

Hi John, the issue of Model Rail is number 111 (December 2007) and it is from Page 90. It features 4 pages and goes into quite some detail so could be quite useful. It looks like the layout in question also has used adapted playmobil rolling stock as well as some scratchbuilt stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that Model rail reference I will look it up.

This idea is still alive still thinking of alternatives to running through the shed to access the layout, how about this

gmicro2.jpg

Instead of having the shed behind the front scenic line, the shed is the front scenic line or should I say half a shed. Not sure what peoples thoughts are on having a half building at the front but it does give the ability to see into the shed and the chance for some massive internal detail potential ?????

All comments greatly appreciated

John

Hi John, the issue of Model Rail is number 111 (December 2007) and it is from Page 90. It features 4 pages and goes into quite some detail so could be quite useful. It looks like the layout in question also has used adapted playmobil rolling stock as well as some scratchbuilt stuff.

Hi,do you have a copy?Any chance of putting the details on line?

Just by way of warning .... This is from a recent post by AndyY

Copying material for other members.

"There has been a spate of members asking for copies of articles from magazines which often results in someone offering to copy the article and email it to them. This is also in breach of Copyright Law and we would ask members not to incite others to break the law. Likewise if you agree to copy Copyrighted material for another member you are also breaking the law. This is a practice that we cannot condone and should any members carry on posting in open forum in this manner their posts will be removed without consultation and consideration will be given to what action will be taken against the offending member."

Full article here I add this not by way of a reprimand, or because of a connection with the moderators, just because I would hate someone falling foul of the rules on my behalf !

John

Progress has been made !!! I have built the baseboards !!!

SDC15531.jpg

I went for 6mm plywood glued and pined to the top AND bottom of the frame (the pictures shows the ply fitted to just the bottom) By laminating the ply with one sheet above the 36mm frame and one below it has become very rigid.

It has a total thickness of only 48mm and is light weight. There are two boards at 20" by 48" giving a total layout of 8'x20"

Next step some dowels and clamps to hold them together.

John

Testing track plans

SDC15554.jpg

SDC15547.jpg

The thinking is that the back two lines in the distance, that curve into each other will feed a hidden sector plate on the back half of board 2, and the front line that is missing a set of points will feed the scenic line at the front of board 2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived