SO Cleethorpes to Exmouth & return, 1960/1/2

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Good evening.

I know an N 2.6.0. normally worked this service (to/from ?) but I can find very little info on stock used. There is a reference to a Back Track article that I might have to dig out from somewhere, otherwise a websearch produces 'nil point' bar one photo on one site and that shows the train on the Somerset and Dorset! I can probably find the BR SR  coaches used in my Bulleid and or maunsell Carriages books.

I do have one photo in a book of mine showing a U1 with a motley collection of ER stock but I can only really see the first two Gresley coaches. It would appear that a SR and ER set worked alternate weeks. 

Any info very gratefully received.

Thanks

P@ 36E

It must have been the inter-regional holiday train with the slowest average running speed, I'd hazard a guess that the pics you mention, as the locos were SR moguls, were taken between Exeter, and Exmouth, and had the greatest variety of loco haulage in the country. Reversal at Exeter Central with any loco Central shed had available, on to Templecombe where more often than not it would be a 4F+4F, or 4F+3F combination to Bath, sometimes( on the down train) a Spam-Can from Bath working it's way back to Bournemouth after an unbalanced working up. Reversal again,and a Black 5 or Standard 5 on to Brum ( either from BGP or Saltley).Usually with inter-regional trains, each region which the train starts from would supply one set of stock except the 'Pines' where both were LMR.

Get-out clause - there are always exceptions to the rule !

There is a picture of the empty  stock being berthed at Littleham in 'The Sidmouth & Budleigh Salterton Branches' by Oakwood Press.

Page 96, 82010 shunts 4 coaches at Littleham on 18th June 1960 to be stabled until the following Saturday,

I would not like to guess what type they are other than at least three of them look 'eastern' to me,

cheers

• RMweb Gold

That second link is talking about a Bournemouth Service. I really can't believe people went from Cleethorpes to Bournemouth. Don't suppose it was one train that split at bath or Templecombe?

Even SWMBO has asked me why on earth there was a Cleethorpes to Exmouth service! I'm not surprised it only ran for two years. At once a week for probably only three months (?) that's only 24 trains (one way).

Those pics of BSalterton are a bit sad really at the end.

P

You've obviously never lived in Cleethorpes.

Mike.

I think the origins of this service were that the daily Cleethorpes - Birmingham train (via Nottm and Leicester) was extended to Bournemouth (then instead to Sidmouth/Exmouth for 1960-62) on summer Saturdays. Hence providing an addition through service from Nottm and Leicester to the South/South West coast.

There are loads of pictures of this service in the Somerset & Dorset picture books, 'Ivo Peters 3' as an example. Most of those I've seen show it being hauled by a 7F when on the S&D. The Southern stock seemed to be a mixed set of Mk1, Bulleid and Maunsell coaches. The ER stock a mix of Gresley, Thompson and Mk1s with the odd Stanier sometimes too.

For Mike (1962 timings):

Cleethorpes - Sidmouth and Exmouth

Southbound (runs SO 28th July - 1st Sept)

Cleethorpes dep.7.0 am

Grimsby Docks 7.8

Grimsby Town 7.14

Habrough 7.27

Barnetby 7.40

Market Rasen 8.0

Lincoln (St Mark's) 8.25

Newark (Castle) 8.51

Fiskerton 8.59

Nottingham (Midland) 9.23

Trent 9.36

Loughborough (Midland) 9.49

Leicester (London Road) 10.10

Hinckley 10.33

Nuneaton (Abbey Street) 10.48

Birmingham (New Street) 11.36

Ashchurch 12.34 pm

Gloucester (Eastgate) 1.3

Bath (Green Park) arr 2.2

Evercreech Junction 3.9

Templecombe 3.32

Axminster 4.21

Seaton Junction 4.29

Sidmouth Junction 4.51

Tipton St John's 5.5        

....................Sidmouth 5.17

East Budleigh 5.20

Budleigh Salterton 5.26

Littleham 5.35

Exmouth 5.40

Northbound timings to follow.....

Northbound (SO 28th July - 8th September 1962)

Exmouth dep 10.42am

Littleham 10.47

Budleigh Salterton 10.55

East Budleigh 10.59

..........Sidmouth 11.7

Tipton St John's 11.16

Sidmouth Junction 11.33

Seaton Junction 11.53

Axminster 12.1pm

Templecombe 12.48

Evercreech Junction 1.10

Bath (Green Park) 2.18

Gloucester (Eastgate) arr 3.16

Birmingham (New Street) 4.44

Nuneaton (Abbey Street) 5.26

Hinckley 5.37

Leicester (London Road) 6.0

Loughborough (Midland) 6.24

Trent 6.36

Nottingham (Midland) 6.51

Newark (Castle) 7.21

Lincoln (St Mark's) 7.46

Market Rasen 8.15

Barnetby 8.38

Habrough 8.51

Healing 9.0

Grimsby Town 9.7

Grimsby Docks 9.14

Cleethorpes 9.23

Note that in neither direction did the train call at Cheltenham Spa. The northbound train arrived in Bath at 2.10pm; exactly at the same time as the southbound train departed there. The train stopped at Templecombe in each direction for only three minutes - was this long enough for a loco change there?

• RMweb Gold

I would have thought that 3 minutes to change engines wouldn't have been too tight provided the track layout was suitable so the working time might well have been little different from the public time with, at best, it giving an earlier than advertised arrival time for the train.  After all the ECML used to do booked loco changes in 4 minutes with no problems  (although I remain intensely suspicious that such changeovers never involved a brake continuity test ;) ).

At least the train took them to Bournemouth; there was a dated Swansea train at the same period that allegedly worked only to Brockenhurst on the way out, but started off from Branksome on the way back..Another one where the 'foreign' coaches sat in a carriage sidings for a week before working the return.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mallard

Down trains were usually booked for a little more time at Bath Green Park than Up trains. 

In 1961, the Down train to Templecombe from Bath was rostered to a 2P + 4F (Rep. No.1092).

The Up train was rostered for a 7F (1E59).

On 12 August 1961, for example:

Down train: 40569 + 44422 (8 coaches)

Up train: 3210 + 53806 (11 coaches) (the lead vehicle being a Thompson Non-gangwayed Lavatory Composite).

Brian

Archived