Connoisseur LSWR O2 for Pencarrow

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

You mentioned 30119, a long term West-Country resident.  It crops in many BR period photos, (not quite as many as 236 though) with both Adams and Drummond boilers.  It also features prominent longitudinal patches along the base of the sidetanks.

I agree about the silly prices asked for the Bradley books, particularly the Adams volume.  Keep looking around though, they do crop up at reasonable prices.  I got mine for £35.

I've got all the Bradford Barton Southern Steam Loco series, but oddly enough the Adams volume of that is pretty scarce as well.

Cheers,

Dave.

Chris,

Whilst perusing an old copy of 'Steam Days' (December 2011 - which IIRC was bought specifically because there was a featured selection of Withered Arm in colour photos) the following colour refs were noted.  The photos are no better than any previously described but confirm some more dates and rolling stock.

30236 at Bodmin North on the 2:52 service from Padstow, 18 May 1959 - a Michael Mensing photo.

30216 with Set No. 374 (LSWR Gated-stock, Nos. 6547 / 739) at Luckett on a Callington-bound train, in September 1955 - a Jim Jarvis photo.

Longshot of Callington viaduct in September 1955, with an 02 and a train of gated-stock (possibly same as above) - another Jim Jarvis photo.

There's also a couple of T9 photos and two Well Tank pictures:

30585 shunting at Wadebridge in September 1955 - by Jim Jarvis.

30587 near Hellandbridge, 23 June 1960, another Jim Jarvis photo. and used on the cover.

Will keep looking!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I ordered the wheels from Slaters yesterday. The bogies wheels do have the smaller diameter axle and also need a smaller key to normal.

Also note that, as of yesterday, the 7836sw wheels are not listed on their website. They will be adding them at some point...

• RMweb Premium

Which wheels ?

I just got back from the Reading show with some of Slaters new 7836SW.

But they have 5/32" axles and smaller screws, not 3/16" axles.

The bushes in the kit are all for 3/16" axles.

Have you started your 02 kit yet? Would be interested to know how you get on.

Which wheels ?

I just got back from the Reading show with some of Slaters new 7836SW.

But they have 5/32" axles and smaller screws, not 3/16" axles.

The bushes in the kit are all for 3/16" axles.

I think they should have offered you the bush inserts and a smaller allen key too when you purchased the wheels.. I got mine at Telford when I got the 02 kit but it all went in the box and joined the "round tuit" pile so I haven't had a look at it yet. I'll dig it out tonight when I get home from work..

JF

• RMweb Premium

I assume the bottom pic is actually OK but it looks like a 70s motor with the rear end jacked up a la Arseky & Crutch!!!

I've seen a few photos of O2s with the back end apparently sticking up,  something t do with stiffness of suspension? amount of coal in bunker?

Dave.

Bushed bushes, whatever next!

Nicely doubles the chances of me getting things out of alignment. Although I have the 02 to do I'm also doing another Southern 0-4-4t for someone and thats thrown several curve ball shots at me already. I'll be surprised/relieved if all the wheels actually end up going round together and in the same trajectory.

JF

post-4764-0-85649400-1419000996_thumb.jpg

This is my build of this kit. Waiting now for me to get in the mood to line it out and fit  the Zimo 645 decoder and speaker.

As usual from Jim the kit went together well with no problems. The smokebox mounted lubricators are not included, mine are from Laurie Griffin, and I have yet to fit the steam heating pipes which will be brass castings and will go on after I have fitted the Dingham couplings. Also has sprung buffers from Northampton Model Railway Supplies.

I do like a properly set up 0-4-4T so I have compensated the coupled axles with a beam between them and the bogie is rigid. The front end of the boiler was then filled with Cerrobend. Runs quite nicely and is well balanced.

I'm not that keen on the format of the instructions and would rather just have a descriptive list of parts but then I have built alot of locos over the years. I also found that  the slots for the tabs were a bit wide and allowed some solder "leakage" which needed a bit of cleaning up.

All in all a decent kit and very good value for money

Nick

• Like 11