Charlie Street

mason

hi all, after the dissapointment of having to put my other layout Deeping Clay up for sale due to space constraints and the upcoming arrival of our baby boy, i scoured the house for a small space just to build a small micro/shunting plank that could be easily stored away and set up and that would stiil give me a little area to play about with to build up my skills on scenics and scratchbuilt buildings, and also give me a chance to try my hand at building some point kits that iv wanted to do for a little while. The layout will start off as a DC based layout with the scope to change with out any hardship to DCC and a little sound in the future.

The layout will be a small stabling/fueling point that leans onto the side of a wagon repair yard and siding. Its not going to be dialled down to any era or area as i want to have a varitey of stock, with it being a small layout there wont be that much stock on it at any given time.

Im hoping to use two smp point kits and build the trackwork up my self, this is going to be a learning curve for me as iv also used RTR points and track so any advice would be greatly appriciated.

The inspiration for this is from a few layouts that crisis rail of this forum built a while ago called whitworth stabling point and march street sidings and layouts like sandhills brooke wharf and bitsa lane

iv attached a pencil drawing just as a starter until i get something built up and more visual.

post-6696-126847498068_thumb.jpg

regards

neil

hi all, after the dissapointment of having to put my other layout Deeping Clay up for sale due to space constraints and the upcoming arrival of our baby boy, i scoured the house for a small space just to build a small micro/shunting plank that could be easily stored away and set up and that would stiil give me a little area to play about with to build up my skills on scenics and scratchbuilt buildings, and also give me a chance to try my hand at building some point kits that iv wanted to do for a little while. The layout will start off as a DC based layout with the scope to change with out any hardship to DCC and a little sound in the future.

The layout will be a small stabling/fueling point that leans onto the side of a wagon repair yard and siding. Its not going to be dialled down to any era or area as i want to have a varitey of stock, with it being a small layout there wont be that much stock on it at any given time.

Im hoping to use two smp point kits and build the trackwork up my self, this is going to be a learning curve for me as iv also used RTR points and track so any advice would be greatly appriciated.

The inspiration for this is from a few layouts that crisis rail of this forum built a while ago called whitworth stabling point and march street sidings and layouts like sandhills brooke wharf and bitsa lane

iv attached a pencil drawing just as a starter until i get something built up and more visual.

post-6696-126847498068_thumb.jpg

regards

neil

Neil,

looking forward to seeing this one develop. Sorry to hear about Deeping Clay but Charlie Street looks like one to keep an eye on!

Guest oldlugger

I agree with Chris. This is sad news about Deeping Clay being sold; it was looking very nice indeed and I was following its progress with interest. But good luck with Charlie Street Neil. You could have a go with C and L point kits or the Exactoscale ones that James mentioned. Both companies sell these in OO gauge; they also both sell bullhead flexi track in one metre lengths. All modern RTR locos and rolling stock can be used on this track without modification. The appearance would be better and putting them together is no harder than copper clad kits.

All the best

Simon

Thanks for the comments chris, james and simon

Deeping clay is currently on here for sale and under cover in my garage  :(

iv looked at all different types of kits and i think its going to be 1 of 3 either the c&l, exactoscale or smp, and id like to stay with 00, even though P4 does sound fun  :D, i cant justify the hassle with the stock for such a small layout.

and thanks for the advice simon its i never thought of bullhead flexi as i was going to use the peco stuff but it will all match in together nicely instead.

well today iv made progress, i dont usually hang around when i have a plan in my head :D, I v built the basic board up with back and side panels and coated them up in white matt emulsion, im going to go for the picture frame style of boards but iv left the front off for now for ease of track laying etc and iv also left the scenic break section out for the same reason, ill add some pics soon as its on its end and the paints wet  :D :D

Thanks again chaps and anymore help and advice on track building would be fantastic

regards

neil

Guest oldlugger

Any time Neil... just ask away. Just to give you an idea of the different looks of some of the turnouts mentioned above have a look here at a C and L example, side by side with a copper clad point, and a RTR example:

http://www.finescale.org.uk/slideshow.php?imgNum=1&nextbtn=Next

http://www.finescale.org.uk/slideshow.php?imgNum=2&nextbtn=Next

Cheers

Simon

They look fantastic, i like the look of the separate chairs, it looks complicated,  i guess that taking your time is key to this, the things that i am most worried about, with being such a 100% novice is the vees and tie bars and more than anything the allignment of everything  :blink: :blink: :huh:

I am very excited about attempting this and enthausiastic, but slightly nervous too, what kit would you recommend is the most suited to someone of my experiances and for some one who wants to take the next step in track work  :D :D. tbh id got my eye on the SMP kits but now im in 2 minds  :D of which is the right choice.

thanks again simon

regards

neil

Guest oldlugger

Hello Neil,

Both C and L and Exactoscale sell complete point kits with everything you need to build a point; the vees, switch rails (and check rails I think) are already made for you. You get a template and easy to follow instructions. All you have to do is shape one basic stock rail through your finger and thumb to curve it, thread the chairs onto the rail and carefully glue the chaired track to the plastic sleepers (provided) with Butanone solvent. If you follow the instructions exactly, you'll get a lovely looking point. Then you just have to solder two tie bars and some brass rod (for the point motor operation); a few wires for the polarity electrics; one to the vee, one each side of the toe end of the point where the switch blades end (positive and negative) and two short wires or fine brass rod between the switch rails and stock rails to electrically bond them. It's actually pretty easy and very rewarding. If you feel adventurous you could add prototypical plastic four bolt cosmetic fish plates! If you have a look at my challenge layout (Kent Industrial in P4) I'm building a C and L point right now; the only difference being that I'm using one of C and L's pre-made ply sleeper bases instead of plastic sleepering.

Cheers

Simon

iv just been reading through C&Ls easy turnout instructions online and it seems pretty straight forward ( he says with confidence  :unsure:)

I have built many turnouts and preffer to build them from Copperclad sleeters, just because its easier to build them this way.

I have used both SMP and C&L products, if you are going to use the PCB type of construction thenI preffer C&L sleepers as they are cut using a milling process rather than a guillotine. This gives a constant width and a nice square cut, also they are double sided fiberglass against single sided paxoline.

As you are only building 2 turnouts, I would use the C&L plastic sleepers and chairs, they are very easy to use and providing you can use a file the V's and switch rails are easy to form. Not knowing what size turnouts you require SMP templates might be better, but C&L have more information on them and use switch lengths and crossing angles rather than radii.

Both companies offer 1st class mail order facilities. Marcway (they now sell SMP parts/kits)also offer their own range of sleepers.

Guest oldlugger

Great stuff Neil!!

If you get stuck during the construction of your two point kits, there are loads of people here who will help you (including me of course!). Just take your time and you'll really enjoy making them. It'll be an exciting new area of railway modelling for you! When you order the kits, order some OO gauge RTR bullhead flexi track as well which you can use on the scenic sections of the layout, plus several bags of cosmetic fishplates (four bolt pattern) to represent the fishplates used on bullhead points and plain track. Once painted and weathered this type of track looks fantastic. I would recommend that you use a really fine ballast with it as well, neatly laid. C and L sell Carrs fine ballast as one possibility.

Cheers

Simon

hi simon and thank you for all the pointers, i havent ordered anything yet, just waiting for the sale of deeping clay to fund the track,  but the C&L stuff is looking like a winner and i think the fishplates are a must also, i saw james hiltons on paxton road and they look fantatstic, iv just got to get my head around what i need to order, and that i dont forget the key things or order the wrong things   :D   :D , iv realised that i need 2 small points to make the trackplan work, i also realised that i made the board slightly wider than i thought, the bous to this is that i can add a small length of track to run at the back as just a stabling road, and will work well once i go dcc sound in the future.

i have attached a few pics to give a more visual view of where things should end up, i had to use some spare peco points that are layoing around just to get a feel for things.

post-6696-1268580497_thumb.jpg

a near enough overall view

post-6696-126858049906_thumb.jpg

a view of the extra line on the far right with a fuel point and to the left the wagon works and storage yard

post-6696-126858050403_thumb.jpg

rear of the wagon works, this will have a crane and a high fence around it

post-6696-126858050698_thumb.jpg

a view of the scenic break to the fiddle yard, this bit is going to be a problem as i dont really know how im going to do it   :D  :D

post-6696-126858051058_thumb.jpg

and finally a straight view form the scenic break over the top of the wagon works

plaese any comments and tips are always welcome

kind regards

neil

• RMweb Gold

Looks very interesting Neil. I will follow with interest. Sounds as if the C&L will be a good option and shouldn't prove to be too expensive on a small layout and also shouldn't take too long to put together. I've not used it myself, but am considering for a small diorama, where I can photograph my stock. Will be powered though so that a sound fitted loco can sit there ticking over!

hi mudmagnet, that was a similar idea to what i had due to the space i had available but that escalated as always  :D :D, im looking forward to getting stuck into it though, and im getting itchy fingers because i always look forward to getting the scenics going on any layout i work on, so im trying to hold myself back at the moment  :D :D

thanks again

neil

Hiya Neil,

Great pics!! Looks like its going to be another fantastic layout, exspecially if your making your own track!!

The fuelling point will look fantastic too!! Better with a EWS 66 I laugh.gif Only joking!! laugh.gif

Watching with much intrest matey!!

Regards

Georgie

Guest oldlugger

Ditto all the above comments Neil; the layout will be great and with the C and L stuff it will look the business! Don't forget to use some really fine ballast to compliment your nice new track! Keep the photos coming...

Cheers

Simon

thank you chris, sam, georgie and simon for the great comments, where do i start  :D :D

hi Chris, the baseboard is 4ft x 300mm, the top, backpanel and side panels are made of 10mm mdf with a 2x2 sub frame underneath, it sounds like a heavy material to use on such a small layout, but i wanted ti to be robust and to be honest its not that heavy, there is still the fiddle yard screen to put in and a front pelmet that will hide the light unit fitted behind it. I want the actual layout area to seem a little dark though, to give it a hidden away industrial feel and alo so the lighting around the wagon shop and fuel point work well and illuminate things nicely. I was hoping Deeping Clay would have a new home by now, but no takers as of yet, its really hard to give your own work a valuation and also to give a valuation that people will pay for, i Know if i was loking for a layout and it came up id buy it  :D :D

Thanks Sam for the kind comment, the dcc sound is a plan for the future for this layout, hence the simple style of the track plan so the wiring can be insatlled easily when the time comes.

Hi Georgie, dont be surprised if there are a few 66's seen on charlie street, iv made the meaurments for the fuel road long enough for 66's and 60's  :D :D

Hi Simon, Thanks for another kind comment, i think we will be talking alot over this project, mostly about the track building, love the track your building at the moment for Kent Industrial, its making me more and more eager to crack on with mine, im still nervous about what parts i need and getting the right bits, i printed off a C&L data sheet about building the point kits and read it through several times and im under no illusion that its easy  :D :D, i think i may order a few templates first just to make sure if got the sizes right and the track distances and that it all fits before i start building kits and curse a lot  :D

On the ballast side, iv still got a couple of bags of fine medium grey i used on Deeping Clay which im going to use, the mix of colours is fantastic in these bags, also around the WRD im going to do some in laid work, maybe with card as the last time i used plaster it went horribly wrong and i dont want to risk the mdf swelling, even though its been coated a few times in emulsion.

thanks again fellas for your kind comments and ill keep the updates coming

regards

neil

• 4 weeks later...

hi all, i do apologise to anyone who was following this thread, unfortunatly my laptop decided that the hard drive wasnt worth looking after anymore and blew the whole thing up, in the process losing all my images from past and current projects and everything i used for research and the family pics too.

But progress has continued at a great pace, photo updates are hard to do at the moment as im using a friends pc.

The ain progress hass been scenics, ballast laid in 3 quarters of the layout using fine med grey ballast. Greenery has been added around the front of the board and mainly around the front siding to give it a look and feel of a siding used just to leave the odd stock laying around. The main floor was covered in basket liner with thick card placed underneath to take away the flat look of just laying it straight to the board, clumps of rubberised horse hair where dipped in pva and then dipped into a foliage mix of greens and a heather mix and placed around the front as bushes.

Work began on the repair shed, using wills sheets and girders, i used the brick pack for the bottom walling with box profile for the upper skin, unfortunatly i ran out of box profile so this is a job pending.

I turned to the backscenes and fitted the boards for the overbridge and the front board for the photo frame look that iv seen n a few layouts such as hendre lane, which looks so effective in keeping everything compact. The front was painted black and the backscene painted with a mixed blue wash, but will be dulled down with a light grey watery wash.

Thats a brief update for now until i get a new pc or a hardrive for my laptop, work will be slowing down slightly over the next few weeks due to Pilot Road being at Mansfield exhibiton and also the Deeping exhibition which is my local town.

thanks for reading

regards

neil

• 1 month later...

hi danny and everyone else thats been following this thread, my apologise for the lack of updates, this is due to my pc blowing up about 2 mths ago and not being able to get anything else sorted out, iv had to borrow a friends pc to heck the mountain of emails an other things that have piled up.

Charlie street is still going strong and despite the lack of a pc there has been loads of work done and its not far off completion, iv taken many photos to document the progress which will be all put on as soon as my new pc arrives in a few weeks.

Thanks danny for the comment, if im totally honest i think its better than pilot road, mainly due to period of time iv spent on it and also using plastics instead of card and paper for the buildings, and the progression of my own modelling skills since i built pilot road.

im really looking forward to putting the photos on here so please bare with me, believe me its frustrating not getting my rmweb dose everyday

regards

neil

• 3 weeks later...

hi all just thought id post a few pics as its been so long, a full description will follow soon

as always comments welcome

post-6696-127566688031_thumb.jpg post-6696-127566691572_thumb.jpg

post-6696-127566694985_thumb.jpg post-6696-127566698194_thumb.jpg

post-6696-127566701463_thumb.jpg post-6696-127566705563_thumb.jpg

post-6696-127566709186_thumb.jpg post-6696-127566712548_thumb.jpg

post-6696-127566716121_thumb.jpg post-6696-127566719645_thumb.jpg

regards

neil

Neil,

Pictures of Charlie Street were certainly worth the wait. This is a wuite stunning layout with lovely attention to detail. I love the shot with the wagon at the back of the shed in front of the two low relief buildings - atmosphere oozes from it.

Stunning work - thanks for sharing.

Chris

Archived