Rail-mounted cranes.

There is some nice footage in the British Transport Films (BTF) boxset of a crane in use on the relaying of one track in a double track section. This same film has some footage of a Ruston-Hornsby PWM650 series shunter in operation. Interesting film showing how they used to lift some sections of track and then place them onto an empty wagon then take new from another.

• RMweb Gold

Just so as to not bore you all to death, here's a couple of events involving 76t converted breakdown cranes. The first pair of photos are at York and show Doncaster's crane then numbered ADB 967159 holding a footbridge up whilst thje burners cut through it.

post-7024-046930700 1288522347_thumb.jpg

post-7024-078154400 1288522374_thumb.jpg

The second pair show Stratford's crane (ADRC 96701) re-railing Cowans 12t GPC DRC 81537 after it had fallen over on it's side in Colchester.

post-7024-033007700 1288522561_thumb.jpg

Here 96701 is about to start lifting 81537

post-7024-050384400 1288522613_thumb.jpg

Here 96701 has just about got hold of 81537, and despite 96701 not being quite level, the supervisor kept going until they could get the wheels over the rails.

• RMweb Gold

When i can suss out how to resize pics on this Mac thingy I'm now using i will add some of Old Oak's diseasal crane on one its first real jobs - all very modern compared with steam cranes.

I'm assuming that you are meaning the 75t telescopic jib. If so, I'm looking forward to that. I did have a go on Healey Mills's 75 tonner - you could close a matchbox with one of those, superb when they worked, but an absolute bitch to repair.

• RMweb Gold

A visit to Old Oak Common in 1983 although I can't be precise about the date.

AFAIK this was the first use 'in anger' of the Old Oak Common diesel crane after a long tale of commissioning troubles, mods and failures.

A train of empty Mk 1 stock had been propelled out of the new side of the Carriage Shed and passed a signal at danger and consequently hit an incoming HST. Although the site was very awkward due to the two overbridges the local M&EE decided it was good opportunity to try the crane, and in the event the job went well.

post-6859-004208300 1288535895_thumb.jpg

post-6859-027555600 1288535953_thumb.jpg

post-6859-057171000 1288536018_thumb.jpg

post-6859-007395800 1288536361_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Interesting set of photos there Mike, thanks for sharing them. Judging by the position of the Mk1 stock, it was lucky the crane wasn't trapped 'on shed'.... mind you, it's possible it could have gone up the engine and carriage flyover and been shunted onto the down carriage line at Ladbroke Grove or Westbourne Park (there were a lot more crossovers then before the area was remodelled). Must have been tricky raising the jib between the two 'mitre' bridges though. I was at OC from August '83 but don't remember this, perhaps it occured before then... looks a bit wet, so it could have been July!

Nidge ;)

• RMweb Gold

Cheers for pics and comments guys, very interesting . .. some more pictures off one off the latest Engineers cranes plus runners ect.. cheers YVM

That is VolkerRail's Kirow DRK 81613 that was used for the North Yorkshire Moors Railway bridge 30. See the

Editted because I can't spell.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting set of photos there Mike, thanks for sharing them. Judging by the position of the Mk1 stock, it was lucky the crane wasn't trapped 'on shed'.... mind you, it's possible it could have gone up the engine and carriage flyover and been shunted onto the down carriage line at Ladbroke Grove or Westbourne Park (there were a lot more crossovers then before the area was remodelled). Must have been tricky raising the jib between the two 'mitre' bridges though. I was at OC from August '83 but don't remember this, perhaps it occured before then... looks a bit wet, so it could have been July!

Nidge ;)

I think it was a bit before the summer Nidge - it looks cold as well as wet (mind you it used to get very cold up in that area for some reason, much colder than the middle of the yard). If you look carefully you'll see it was well clear of the E&C Line via the overbridge but I the only way to get the crane to it was via the Ladbroke Grove end of the North Carriage Lines. Awkward space as you say but at least they were working on a very short radius.

Hello

Please forgive me for butting in like this, but I thought, as all you crane guys were gathered here on Yellowvanman's thread :good_mini: , this would be the better place for a crane related question.

It's a rather long shot, but has anyone any information on these types of cranes ?, DS 60 seen here, in the RH background of this view of Bournemouth MPD in the early '60s

http://gallery62603..../p31801898.html

The only information that I have gathered, is that they were built in 1923, on redundant Adams tender / water tank chassis, electric powered and possibly self-propelled.

They were in use at least two other MPDs, Horsham and Dorchester.(61.S) .

If anyone can fill in any detail, builder, history of, know of any preserved examples, or links to related websites ?, I would be extremely grateful.

Cheers and Thanks, Ceptic.

Edited to correct an observation mistake.

I knew I had these two lurking in the hard drive somewhere.... Rugby c1982...( the smaller crane was often found here at the time, usually hemmed in at the back of the up sidings by the old wiring train)

Mike - the cold winds used to blow up to Old Oak from the open field down by Wormwood Scrubs as I recall ;)

Nidge

post-7638-007426400 1288628227_thumb.jpg

post-7638-070451800 1288628261_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hornby used to do a model of one like the little yellow one and there's a pic of one in marsden's 'rolling stock recognition 3 : departmental stock' (which i can't find at the mo' to check the info)