Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

CSX Miami

Chris Gilbert

Guys

I made two interesting purchases in October. The first was Lance Mindheim's book, How to build a switching layout, (his book shop)and the second was a new Mini for the wife.

What, you may ask has a Mini got to do with the CSX...Well the lady thought it would be a good idea if she could keep her new baby in the garage....

Now for the last five years the garage has been my workshop store room and the place to keep my exhibition layouts, so I was not that much in favour of this change of use.

However when the car duly arrived, I conceded and I reluctantly started clearing out my railroad stock.

Mind you this clear out did have a couple of plus points, not only did I get rid of a lot stock that I was never going to use again, it also gave me a clear 15' 4" wall. Now if I could build a shelf above the car wink.gif

Now back to Lance's book, after reading it from front to back a number of times, the seeds were sown and a call to Shortliner was made requesting ideas for track plans. Anyone who know Mr T will know what I mean when I say my inbox was full very quick. Among the emails was one including a link to cnw1961 layout @ http://www.the-gauge...t=0&hilit=miami . I'd seen the thread before but I'd forgotten it.

The layout was 16 feet long plus a short section to the right

post-7237-053914700 1291054888_thumb.jpg

In my design I have had to keep it to 10 inches wide to allow for clearance for the car, but I've added a run round loop at the right hand side to help with the switching.

There is also a chance that I can extend the layout around the front of the garage adding another 14 feet of layout.

post-7237-097807400 1291066372_thumb.jpg

After a trip to B & Q enough conti board and 2â€foamboard was purchased together with some spur shelving. With a couple of eveningswork I got the shelf up and painted the back scene

post-7237-008067000 1291068744_thumb.jpg

The photo below shows the layout ready for track, butfull of crap....

post-7237-048537300 1291068776_thumb.jpg

Work stopped for a bit as I had to get Haston ready forthe NEC,

Other plus point on the clear up was I was able to selling some of my stock which raised much needed funds for purchase some Pecocode 83 track and turnouts.

After last Saturday’s afternoon operating Northpoint’s DeWitt layout with f-UnitMad and 298 see http://www.rmweb.co....tt-subdivision/ it was time to do some more work on the layout

In sub zero temperaturesI’ve move the cars out yesterday and glued the track in place and with the helpof a fan heater it dried pretty quickly.

post-7237-062384000 1291069031_thumb.jpg

Next I soldered droppers to each length of rail, this is the first time I’ve built a fixed layout as such so I used a mirror to help with soldering the rail furthest away from me.

post-7237-061248600 1291069402_thumb.jpg

post-7237-088916600 1291068916_thumb.jpg

post-7237-028012300 1291068886_thumb.jpg

All the droppers are now in place (all 30 of them) and most are soldered to the buswire

post-7237-084350200 1291068945_thumb.jpg

I will keep you posted on it progress.

post-7237-026472900 1291068804_thumb.jpg

post-7237-044596100 1291068852_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris,

I'll be watching this with real interest, as it's what I started modelling the American scene with a couple of years ago. Also had a lot of help and advice from Shortliner - He even made a couple of 'gators for the canal ( I still have them on other layouts!)

See http://buckler.webs.com/bucklersyard.htm

I love Hston, and am sure that CSX will be just as fab.

Keep coming with the pictures!

Dave

No this one is a fully fixed layout, I might hold operating sessions like Nick did but I think it will only keep a crew of two busy.

I've just got my Rush tickets for the NEC in May. Ended up getting the £59.75 seats with is in the second block back, The first block of seats were selling at £75 plus booking fee so I thought 'f%*£ that'

May be Santa could get it for you for Christmashappy.gif

Hi Chris,

I'll be watching this with real interest, as it's what I started modelling the American scene with a couple of years ago. Also had a lot of help and advice from Shortliner - He even made a couple of 'gators for the canal ( I still have them on other layouts!)

See http://buckler.webs....ucklersyard.htm

I love Hston, and am sure that CSX will be just as fab.

Keep coming with the pictures!

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I was down at B&Q again today to get the lights to go under the lighting pelmet .

Might get some work on it tomorrow as the snow seems to be slowing my work down

Chris,

good pick,

Kurts layout is my favorite layout. I look forward in you doing this layout, should be awesome.

Yesterday my Garage door broke, I might have to dissemble my layout for the repair man to fix it, that would mean I will have to start over, what a shame. I will find out when the repair guy comes back this week. I will not be that pissed off, but I can then perfect my layout plan, wished I had the Lance book back when I did my design.

You don't hang about, mate.

Seconded..!! :blink:

I am slightly concerned at the sight of all that un-supported Contiboard :unsure: strong as it seems, I suspect it may sag under it's own weight over time... :(

Other than that, looks good! That Mr Mindheim is a bad influence... to say nothing of Mr Shortliner.. :P :D ;)

Not fair - I have the feeling that a lot of HWMDAHTs (He who must do as he's told) are telling their SWMBOs that it is all my fault for leading them into things, and I have this vision of a small army of rolling-pin-wielding ladies heading in my direction whilst vowing vengance! Must not let them know that - subject to the Siberian Arctic weather departing before then - I'm going to be helping ( :blink: :blink: :blink: ) Chris with Haston on the Friday and Saturday at Glasgow at the end of February.

I to will be starting a American HO layout in the loft soon as I to have skint myself by buying Rush & Journey tickets.

Will keep an eye on this one as I look for ideas for my layout.

Keep up the good work Chris

I am slightly concerned at the sight of all that un-supported Contiboard :unsure: strong as it seems, I suspect it may sag under it's own weight over time... :(

The Contiboard it glued and nailed to the backboard and front board and glued to the foam so the foam should keep the Contiboard from sagging

I've just tried bending some foam board end to end and while it flexes slightly I don't think it will be of any great concern

below is a side view of the layout

post-7237-034757600 1291117035_thumb.jpg

With everything glued together this is one very strong but light baseboard and one I will use for any exhibition layouts I might built in the future

Hint: Solder the feeders to the underside of the rails. Easier to hide and if you have to recycle the track its easy to remove the wires and file the underside of the rail flat. You do have to plan feeders and solder them prior to laying the track.

Looking good Chris. I wish I had that much room to build the LAJ Railway - I may delve into the loft.....................one day!:blink: Or have an extention built.....................one day!:unsure: Or have a purpose built brick workshop, fully insulated, full electrics and heating...................one day! Looks like I'll be sticking to the cold, icy shed for now though.:huh:

Keep us updated - looking forward to the scenery if Haston is anything to go by.

Chris,

this is going to be a very interesting layout for switching......the lack of depth can be offset by length of run,especially if you carry on around the walls...also it speeds things up if you have less scenic work to do because of the narrower boards...!!

Re- construction with the foam,I have some boards made from the sheets of foam with just 1/4"x 3" deep ply sides glued on,no wood base,and they have been doing duty as shelves for a couple of years in the garage !! and are only now being used on my Calais layout and they have not deformed at all,so you should have no problems with or without Contiboard as a base ...

Regards Trevor ... :D

Chris;

For those of us in the colonies... what is contiboard?

Andrew

Andrew

Contiboard offers the widest range of finishes and sizes, making us the leader in decorative faced particleboard, number one for both experienced and first time DIY projecteers. There are almost no limits to Conti´s versatility - Conti can really be more than just a panel - just add imagination.

well that's what their web site said I'd call it laminated chipboard

Here is their web address

http://www.conti.co.uk/index.html

Chris

... HWMDAHTs (He who must do as he's told) are telling their SWMBOs ...

You could shorten HWMDAHTs to HPHs... Hen Pecked Husbands... <_< :(

One of my vans water tank and pump is frozen solid so the guys are not out working today so I'll get them round here later to help me put up the lights.

What a great alternative to work!! I hope they're Railfans too!?! :lol:

Here is today's update showing the lights

post-7237-075065800 1291243811_thumb.jpg

post-7237-060915700 1291243827_thumb.jpg

post-7237-097283300 1291243846_thumb.jpg

And then I started on the extension in front of the door,

this is the foam cut to size. I will add the MDF sides to it tomorrow

the curve is 18 inches

when then extension is completed it will give me around 30 feet of main line with is about half a scale mile.ohmy.gif

post-7237-074547500 1291243867_thumb.jpg

Archived