The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

I do wish people would check their facts

JZ

Day off today, it's not raining, so I went for a walk. Many times I have past this sign in Waterloo Road, Radstock, but for once I decided to read it.

p1270007.jpg

Need I add more ?

Wikipedia is full of dodgy facts, but sticking with the S&D the transport section of this page is particularly amusing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catcott

Hmm, it's about time someone created the Wikipedia page for its railway station :lol:

And what is this "Slow and Dirty" they refer to? B) :lol:

From memories of growing up in the area, the choice of "Slow and Dirty" or "Serene and Delightful" depended on whether one's preferrences were for the GWR or the S&DJR. Was the name also used by those working on the Western?

Nick

The bit about my trainset (Catcott) really made me cackle. I've often wondered if the villagers when surfing the net searching their village name get rather fed up seeing 100's of snaps of toy chuff chuffs.

I've had emails from a couple of people in Combwich saying that they have found the spot where the station used to be. I guess most just look at the photos and never read the text which would explain all.

I feel a blog post coming on to put the record straight aboit Catcott at least!

Thanks, you've livened up what has been a very dull day so far :lol:

• RMweb Gold

From memories of growing up in the area, the choice of "Slow and Dirty" or "Serene and Delightful" depended on whether one's preferrences were for the GWR or the S&DJR. Was the name also used by those working on the Western?

Nick

Seemed to be in quite common use on my part of the Western (or rather the bit that at one time was 'my part'). However most of my ex S&DJR staff referred to their former railway as the 'Swift & Delightful' (although I'm blowed if I know how they reached that conclusion). Our regular reunion pub lunches still include a couple of ex S&DJtR types - they don't like the 'Darset' reunions as they seem to be full of railway enthusiasts asking silly questions and interfering with the more serious business of drinking.

The bit about my trainset (Catcott) really made me cackle. I've often wondered if the villagers when surfing the net searching their village name get rather fed up seeing 100's of snaps of toy chuff chuffs.

I've had emails from a couple of people in Combwich saying that they have found the spot where the station used to be. I guess most just look at the photos and never read the text which would explain all.

I feel a blog post coming on to put the record straight aboit Catcott at least!

Thanks, you've livened up what has been a very dull day so far :lol:

I think I feel an entry in Backscene coming on! Now, how do you do a screen grab off Wikipedia?

CHRIS LEIGH

JZ, on 27 January 2011 - 12:24 , said:

Day off today, it's not raining, so I went for a walk. Many times I have past passed this sign in Waterloo Road, Radstock, but for once I decided to read it.

My point exactly.

I think I feel an entry in Backscene coming on! Now, how do you do a screen grab off Wikipedia?

CHRIS LEIGH

You use Faststone FSCapture - currently paid for, but there is an earlier free version still available if you google. A very useful program

Last Freeware Version of FS Capture: http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page4.html#FastStone%20Capture

The latest version will cost you $19.95 - good value in my opinion

CHRIS LEIGH

Or the cheap way, for Windows hit PrintScreen on the keyboard, paste into Paint/Photoshop*, and crop accordingly

For Mac*, Apple-Shift-4 then draw a box round what you want, file appears on desktop.

*I know, I said cheap.

However most of my ex S&DJR staff referred to their former railway as the 'Swift & Delightful' (although I'm blowed if I know how they reached that conclusion).

Especially when you take into consideration how much time the all stations BGP to Bomo West took. :D

Has the Wikipedia entry now been changed? I can't see any reference to Catcott Burtle station on there now.

Edit - Yes it has, some miserable bu**er changed it at 17:15! (evidently after reading this thread, as cackling was mentioned :lol: )

Has the Wikipedia entry now been changed? I can't see any reference to Catcott Burtle station on there now.

Edit - Yes it has, some miserable bu**er changed it at 17:15! (evidently after reading this thread, as cackling was mentioned :lol: )

(Owns up to being said miserable ######). I pointed out the gaffe to the person apparently responsible and received the following response:

"Thanks for letting me know - I'm not sure if the bit about the station was my doing, but I've revised it now. I can't access the RM web site - but I'm glad it gave them a chuckle. Perhaps you could point out that one of the great advantages of wikipedia is that if people spot errors they can correct them.— Rod "

A rather more constructive response then you'd expect if you pointed out daft mistakes in some "organs of information".

Still, I'm sorry I spoiled the joke; if I feel moved to point out any railway-related errors to the Wikipedia editors again, I'll wait for a suitable length of time for general cackling first.;)

• RMweb Premium

Replying to myself, I also noticed there's yet another example of what I would consider not to be proper English phrasing, which in my impression is all too common in the English parts of signs and announcements at German stations. I think a statement like "Train does not call at all stations" in the paragraph about RE services would be more appropriate.

I guess this here's another example for a proofreading goof – have a close look at the French explanation for "Railjet" trains... :mellow:

dsc05769.jpg

It looks more like they couldn't be bothered to look up the French for Austria and Hungary and just used the English word. They did though know that in sentences country names always have a definite article in French (la Grande-Bretagne, l'Autriche, la Hongrie and so on ) so they came up with something really clumsy. The whole French version is in any case really random. Why are they Trains except for the ICs which are suddenly Trains Voyageurs? Did they imagine that francophone passengers might think they were freight trains !!

Generally though I've always found it far easier to make typos. in signage than in documents. Graphics artists have to watched like hawks of course but I get paranoid whenever I create television captions. Errors seem to creep in even when I've proofed them really carefully.

This is what it looks like in google's cache

Transport

Catcott used to have a small station known as Catcott Burtle between Edington Burtle and Shapwick on the Highbridge Branch of the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway.

Oh pooh, I was looking forward to finding out that my trainset had become reality in future SDJR history features in toy chuff chuff magazines, footpath info displays and books. After all, the SDJR 7Fs used to be blue didn't they;-) .... another story not for here, at least I have a screen grab to gloat over...:mocking_mini:

Archived