Bachmann Donald & Douglas/Bill & Ben

S.A.C Martin

News From Bachmann

In the Thomas range, we've found that the Emily loco is basheable into a fair representation of a stirling single (mine still needs painting!), and with Donald & Douglas being released next year, I wonder if this could be an opportunity for someone to come up with a pack of components to turn these two models into proper 812s...no pictures as yet, but the Bachmann thomas range normally has a turnaround time of six or seven months after the announcement.

Seems, albeit in a roundabout way, that we've got our Caledonian 812 model after all...!

EDIT: To include discussion about the Port of Par alikes :)

• RMweb Gold

Ooh this is most excellent news! There will no doubt be several that end up on my workbench when they arrive. I see they are releasing the China Clay twins as well, I predict there will be a flurry of Port of Par layouts being built in the next few months :D

Ooh this is most excellent news! There will no doubt be several that end up on my workbench when they arrive. I see they are releasing the China Clay twins as well, I predict there will be a flurry of Port of Par layouts being built in the next few months :D

Didn't notice the twins there! If they make them prototypically correct I suspect the B&B chassis may find themselves under some 0-16.5 bodies before long... :)

• RMweb Gold

Ooh this is most excellent news! There will no doubt be several that end up on my workbench when they arrive. I see they are releasing the China Clay twins as well, I predict there will be a flurry of Port of Par layouts being built in the next few months biggrin.gif

Interesting......

I haven't seen any comparison of the Hornby versions to scale size but an image on e-Hattons site look like the length is around 100 mm over headstocks = 25 feet; the real ones being 16.5 feet long! The real wheelbase being 5 feet = 20mm, but the Hornby wheelbase is around 35mm....ohmy.gif

I do wonder if Bachmann will be able to make something closer to scale size given how tiny the real ones are? blink.gif

EDIT - I'm talking about the Port of Par locos here......! rolleyes.gif

To start with, I'm very happy that Bachmann have decided to model both sets of classic twins. However, i'll lay off pre-ordering them until I can see them lined up with other rolling stock, so I can get an idea on how to scale either set are. If they are to scale, i'll be ordering all 4, as two can be converted to Scottish region locos and two to Industrial ones. Ace.

The announcement of Bachmann getting an almost world wide license on their Large Scale items is good too, as it gives them a better leg on the market. With James now on the way, I can see plenty of conversions coming this way ;) I can imagine the unconfirmed rolling stock being covered vans and tankers, with possibly brown and grey versions of the former, and milk/tar versions of the latter. Again, ripe for conversion.

True, but we'll just have to wait and see how they scale up with OO rolling stock. To be honest, they are toys, but I imagine they won't be too bad. :rolleyes:

Given that all of the Bachmann thomas range, bar Edward, seem to be overscale for HO and undersize for 00 (and given how large the Hornby Bill & Ben models are!) I would assume they would be smaller in any event, with better valve gear as a plus point...

As somebody who has taken a look at Bachmann's Thomas range here in the U.S. I would say don't get your hopes up too high. To me, the models look designed down to a price as a toy and for simple manufacturing. For some models Bachmann has used its British OO molds, others appear to have been developed from scratch and it's the latter that don't impress me. Of course, even the Underground Ernie range had bits that were useful to scale modellers, so your opinion may be different.

Guest stuartp
Problem with bashing the twins is that the dimensions could be wrong.

Agreed. It would be nice to have a starting point on which to bash an 812, but if it's as near to prototype as their 'Thomas' is to an E2 it'll be a caricature of an 812 with a cheap mechanism. You never know though...

• 2 weeks later...

The Bachmann Thomas the Tank engine stuff has always looked like a robust toy, designed down to a price and to be suitable for being played with by ham-fisted four year olds. However, I have to say that from what I've seen they are a lot better than the Hornby offerings. It's a shame that the consumer can't have a choice and get an easier supply of the Bachmann models in the UK - the Hornby ones have all disappointed me when out shopping for my nephew. So much so that my nephew has ended up with some of my Bachmann duplicate stock in preference.

The Salty shunter has interested me, as it appears to be loosely based on an 07 shunter. An 07 is one of the BR locomotives quite high on the list of locomotives I would buy if they were readily available RTR. Also the Mavis version of the 04 looks ripe for Wisbech and Upwell convertion.

I look forward to seeing any photos of the Donald and Douglas pairs. Would Bachmann think ahead and make them suitable for a UK market in non-Thomas guises?

I look forward to seeing any photos of the Donald and Douglas pairs. Would Bachmann think ahead and make them suitable for a UK market in non-Thomas guises?

Unfortunately as has been discussed elsewhere here, Bachmann are not allowed under their licensing to re-release the thomas moulds under different liveries - hence why the starter engines changed rather abruptly, and the old LNER/GWR starter engines disappeared from the shelves.

Agreed. It would be nice to have a starting point on which to bash an 812, but if it's as near to prototype as their 'Thomas' is to an E2 it'll be a caricature of an 812 with a cheap mechanism. You never know though...

But the Bachmann range is based on the TV series models, whilst the earlier books are clearly proper railway locomotives. As others have said, don't hold out too much hope....

Guest stuartp

But the Bachmann range is based on the TV series models, whilst the earlier books are clearly proper railway locomotives. As others have said, don't hold out too much hope....

Yes, that was kind of my point.

It is an interesting point that to make a more accurate model of the real locomotives that the books were based on, rather than the caricatures in the TV series, it would neatly get around the licencing issues for selling what would amount to Donald and Douglas models without the faces on the front*

* When I was little we were too poor for the Hornby TTTE offerings, and several Hornby Dublo locos were drafted in to represent TTTE locomotives, using a dollop of imagination to replace the faces (and other small details)

• Like 1

I see that an earlier comment has described the Bachmann Thomas range as "cheap caricatures with cheap mechanisms"

Can I point out that these have been a learning curve for Bachmann. Whilst Thomas, Percy and James (the oldest models in the range) may not be that good, the likes of Salty (07), Mavis (04) and Edward (???) have very good mechanisms. And the price! I picked up a Bachmann Gordon for £45, and it's not a bad loco. In fact, it's a shame Bachmann didn't get the UK liscence, as they produce better products IMO.

Hopefully, they could retool T, P & J with new mechanisms and detail for 2011, giving them a nice, well balanced range.

• 7 years later...
  • 2 years later...