I have been watching the development of 3D printing with interest but have been rather sceptical about the quality.  However a recent thread on a completely different topic made me look at the CD Design / Street Models website where, tucked away amongst Met A tanks and various GER tanks there was a delightful picture of the Millwall Extension Railway's minute Manning Wardle tank loco, and this discovery coincided with a "Post Free" weekend offer from Shapeways so I bit the bullet and sent off my order. Within a very surprisingly short period, a small box arrived on the doorstep, and inside were two very fine mouldings for the body and chassis with virtually everything included. I was very pleasantly surprised by the fine quality of the finish and the amount of detail such as the Westinghouse brake, the springs inside the cab and some details on the firebox back which will be a challenge to highlight in the painting stage, as the cab is incredibly small.  In fact, the loco is probably the smallest mainline(ish) passenger loco on the standard gauge, and makes a Brighton Terrier look enormous.

post-189-0-79540200-1442414415_thumb.jpg post-189-0-80823300-1442414431_thumb.jpg

The finely detailed chassis would need a bit of fettling to fit, but looks fine for OO.  However, as I would intend it to be in P4 I will need to create a separate chassis and probably just use the sides cosmetically.  What will be the challenge is fitting a gearbox and motor and DCC decoder and getting enough ballast in the tiny space available.

post-189-0-95246300-1442414449_thumb.jpg

I think I can get a old Studiolith gearbox in with a Mashima 10/15 motor at a push, but I would welcome any suggestions.  I need to track down the relevant MRJ somewhere in the loft to confirm wheel diameters (3' 6" and 2' 8" I think) before I order Gibson wheels, and I will have to investigate Archers rivets to provide the distinctive pattern on the side tanks. My one regret is that I ordered it in white, as the black version would mean that, for instance, the chassis, although needing painting, would not show any marks if scuffed, whereas the white will, no doubt, show through, but it looks so good in white I am not complaining. :D

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

I believe you are correct with 3' 6" drivers.  There was a discussion about these locos earlier this year in the industrial section starting April 11th.  See: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/33695-industrial-loco-drawings/page-2

Hope this helps.

Ray.

One of my reasons for querying the diameter is that I have some ten spoke wheels of that diameter but the spokes look more crowded than on the prototype, yet that had eleven spokes! That number of spokes suggest a larger diameter, and I was wondering if larger ones were fitted later. Three foot six inches is roughly the height of the buffers and to my eyes the wheels are slightly higher than that.

Fred Harman's very comprehensive series of books (vol 2 in this case) on Manning Wardle locos give 3' 6" as the diameter of the drivers and 2' 9" for the leading wheels. Apparently the cylinders were 9.5"x16" – truly minute for a standard gauge loco. Total weight loaded and ready to go was 15 tons 1 cwt.

However a recent thread on a completely different topic made me look at the CD Design / Street Models website where, tucked away amongst Met A tanks and various GER tanks there was a delightful picture of the Millwall Extension Railway's minute Manning Wardle tank loco

Do you have a link you can post to their website? Would be most appreciated by many I'm sure - thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic detail on this tiny loco. If they could print one in 7mm scale I wouldn't need to build it-the 4mm version looks delightful. I'll ask them if I can navigate the sign-in system!

Dava

Overnight Charlie confirmed he'd give it a go!

Edited by Dava
  • Like 2

Fantastic detail on this tiny loco. If they could print one in 7mm scale I wouldn't need to build it-the 4mm version looks delightful. I'll ask them if I can navigate the sign-in system!

Dava

Overnight Charlie confirmed he'd give it a go!

I think I'd be interested in a 7mm scale version...

• RMweb Premium

I think I'd be interested in a 7mm scale version...

I think the demand for a few will encourage him to scale up the design later this year. I definitely want one and think a few others will too.

Dava

• 1 year later...

Ressurecting this old thread, there is a 7mm version available on shapeways now as a "Beta Model" I've just ordered one to give it a try.

I am hoping that some slaters wheels and a suitable motor/gearbox is all I need, though I am starting to doubt that I will get the usual Mashima 1833 into it.

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Like 2

Any suggestions for the livery? I am somewhat inclined to go for green or maroon, but all-over black would be just fine.

I am also looking at suitable wheels from skaters. I think the GWR Railmotor with the 8" throw would be most suitable.

Edited by hartleymartin

• RMweb Premium

Will be interested in how good the 3D print is, Iwould like to build one of these [and have the MRJ article] but too many other projects and modeling 014 at present.

Dava

I too shall watch with interest; long been fascinated by the MER (both of them, actually, thinking about it).

To me, it is a loco that might well be made using 'mixed media'. Maybe etched brass, and brass tubing, for some parts and 3D printing for others.

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

Have you got a reference for the MRJ article?

It's MRJ 53, a good article and loco drawings. I do have a scan of it somewhere.

Dava

WSF - White Strong and Flexible (acrylic)

BSF - Black Strong and Flexible (offered for some items)

FUD - Frosted Ultra Detail.

Apparently the FUD is somewhat easier to prepare and has a better finish, but can be a bit powdery and brittle. The WSF/BSF is much stronger and more forgiving, but there is more work involved on preparing the surface finish.

From what I understand, the WSF needs to be sprayed with primer filler and sanded several times before painting.

With regards to wheels for the O gauge version, Slaters has suitable 2'8" bogie wheels. There are no 11-spoke 3'6" wheels though. The options for 10 spoke wheels in the size are ones for BR 02, BR 07 or GWR Railmotor.

It is hard to make a decision on these since the catalogue is not illustrated.

I also do not know if suitable side rods are included. I would think that 3D printed brass ones would be suitable but it would not be too difficult to make up a set from nickel-silver flat bar if need be.

With regards to wheels for the O gauge version, Slaters has suitable 2'8" bogie wheels. There are no 11-spoke 3'6" wheels though. The options for 10 spoke wheels in the size are ones for BR 02, BR 07 or GWR Railmotor.

It is hard to make a decision on these since the catalogue is not illustrated.

I also do not know if suitable side rods are included. I would think that 3D printed brass ones would be suitable but it would not be too difficult to make up a set from nickel-silver flat bar if need be.

I have assumed the GWR railmotor wheels would be best given they have an 8 inch crank throw – the MER locos had cylinders with 16 inch stroke.

Richard

I managed to find a picture of the GWR Railmotor wheel sets from slaters. Aside from lacking one spoke, they look like they are going to be the best fit. I might also try the Manning Wardle 4'9" rods from slaters. After all, I only need to move the centre holes out by 0.29mm on each end. so I should be able to get away with it.

It is certainly true that this is a diminutive locomotive. 10'0" overall wheelbase, 17'10" over headstocks, and not even 10' tall from rail level. The thing would be dwarfed by a standard vent van!

I am actually looking forward to this arriving with some considerable anticipation. I've never put together a locomotive from a 3D-printed kit. I am rather inclined to wonder if the person who did the CAD work should have broken it down into a few major component parts to make it easier to prepare the finish.

One challenge will be the motor and gearbox combination. The boiler outside diameter is only 2'8" - just over 16mm. I think the length available for the motor and gearbox is probably not going to be much more than 40mm inside the body. My concern about motorising this kit is finding a suitable gearbox that will take the 3/16" slaters axle. If I could use a 1/8" axle, it would be easier to find a suitable small motor and gearbox from OO scale. I am still pondering whether I should try to drive it from the rear axle or the centre. I am leaning towards rear axle, and filling the side tanks with solid brass to bring the weight of the locomotive up.

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Like 1

Now I feel really stupid for not realising that the seller did have printed stainless steel coupling rods... so I've had to cop a second shipping charge.

I looked back at my shapeways order and I'm due to get it around mid-September. So I placed an order with Slaters for the wheels. They will probably get here before the locomotive body!

Edited by hartleymartin