I've given the body a spray in Tamiya light grey primer. I am going to need something thicker - I'll try a can of the red oxide primer next. I have heard of "Plastic Filler Primer" but I would not know which is the best to try, though it has been suggested that the suitable ones come from automotive suppliers.

I've given the body a spray in Tamiya light grey primer. I am going to need something thicker - I'll try a can of the red oxide primer next. I have heard of "Plastic Filler Primer" but I would not know which is the best to try, though it has been suggested that the suitable ones come from automotive suppliers.

• 1 month later...

I heard back from the designer the other day. He's taking into consideration a long list of suggestions I have made with regards to the 7mm scale version. The one currently on Shapeways is a straight upsize of the 4mm scale version and consequently has introduced a few compromises/errors into the model print.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

So has anyone who ordered this 3D loco from Shapeways completed one yet?  I would like to order the 7mm version.  I know there's some problems with the print, but I'd still like to give it a go.

So has anyone who ordered this 3D loco from Shapeways completed one yet?  I would like to order the 7mm version.  I know there's some problems with the print, but I'd still like to give it a go.

I bought the 7mm version in acrylic or whatever it's called but typically haven't had time or energy to do anything with it – it's not not high on my list of priorities. Nice finish though...

• RMweb Premium

So was the chassis too wide or too narrow Martin?

Edit update:  I've just seen your post from 15th September, but I don't think those problems will affect me much at all.  I use either 1/8th or 3mm axles on my coarse scale 'O' gauge locos and I always mount driving axles on a short subframe between the frames which also carries the motor.  Very old school 'O' gauge constriction methods, but they work and don't give any problems.  Again the narrow chassis will be fine since I'm using 'O' gauge wheels to Greenly standards.  The brake gear will need to be cut off and moved, but that won't be a problem.  My last loco used side rods hand filed from thickish aluminium with brass bushings, but others I did had side rods hand filed from sections cut from old nickel silver forks. All that's needed is a bit of patience and some decent sharp files.  Being a woman of slender means has taught me to employ files and found materials to make things because in a word it's CHEAP.  I haven't made any 0-6-0's yet so I don't know if my simple methods would work for those.

The parts are for a Barclay I never finished because 'life' happened, but it shows what's possible with just a file and some drill bits.

QG4QhwN.jpg

Edited by Annie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think a slender instrument motor with a gearhead would fit.  For some reason I have a tendency to collect such things and I have a particular one in mind that should fit between the frames.  Of course all this is academic until I can get hold of a 3D print myself and can have a look at it.

Edited by Annie

It's sort of the way that we are doing our new locos. 3D printed top with a CAD drawn etched nickel sliver bolt together chassis.

Marc

Marc

1I had envisaged something more like the old K's kits: two slabs of brass screwed into square metal spacers! Your version sounds considerably more sophisticated.

• 1 year later...

I'll post further on this in my own O Gauge thread in the 7mm Modelling section. After moving house a few times and finally settling in back with family, I found my loco with the wheels still in the 3-D printed chassis. It needs to be lowered by about 3-4mm, so I'll just make a new one out of brass or plastic-card. The rods came from an old Triang Nellie chassis I had lying around!20190622_124741.jpg.2bcdeaa09ed4fb7ab43e5553e5f76d8e.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2