The Bournemouth West Model Railway Group / Now known as The South Coast Model Railway Development Group / TSCMRDG

Ceptic

• 3 weeks later...

You could do with a signal box Rog!  :laugh:

Perspective SketchUp drawing based on the only close up S/B photo the Group has...

post-7009-0-94165400-1470058053_thumb.png

Any more views / info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, 

Ceptic.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Perspective SketchUp drawing based on the only close up S/B photo the Group has...

attachicon.gifSignal Box (1) (1) (2016_08_01 12_42_02 UTC)resize.png

Any more views / info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, 

Ceptic.

Assuming that the "box" on the roof is a vent to the stove (logically being it is in the middle), the other pipe is a vent from WC (and looks to small for a flue anyway). So that puts the WC inside (downstairs presumably) and no outside loo accessed from the stairs.

• Like 1

It's a pity George Pryor is no longer with us, but I wonder if Alan Greatbatch, a former signalling colleague of George's, could help, I'll ask him if I see him on Wednesday. :sungum:  

Many thanks Paul, Joseph, Andy, Ian, et all.

One of the last of many publications by the late George Pryer, "Signal Boxes of the London & South Western Railway" (Oakwood Press, 2000), although not directly mentioning the B'm'th West station box, he describes the architectural characteristics of the this and the various, other, types.

Many of the area's S/Boxes fall within the description of 'Type 3' (+ '3A' & '3B'), including the nearby boxes controlling the Branksome Triangle. All of which feature the large, roof mounted ventilator.

Many years since, I did manage an inside peek of the listed West Junction box. Although no photos to confirm, the stove, as I remember, was not in the centre. but in the far LH corner.

The photo (Copyrighted J.J Smith. Available through the Bluebell Railway's archives) does show two 'Stovepipes' at the western end. (The drawing does replicate these).

I'm guessing here, but, I'd say, the nearer and of larger diameter pipe relates to the stove chimney, and the outer / further away, is the vent / pong-pipe to the downstairs WC.

Then again, I could be wrong. (see signature)

All the best, and, again, many thanks for your support.

Ceptic.

• Like 1

Hi all.

Over the past years, several modellers have expressed an interest in modelling this 'Iconic' Southern terminus. Sometimes known as 'The Clapham of the South'.

For me, locally, the first inkling of this group's proposed layout came via an invitation from long time RMweb member, and friend, Mr. Peter Kazmierczak, to participate in a meeting, held, under the auspices of himself and that of the Bournemouth Central Library.

Along with Peter, was our most esteemed guest, BR(S / S&D) Driver & Fireman, Peter Smith, Driver of the last, up. 'Pines Express'. Donald Beale (R.I.P.), being the booked Driver, giving up his 'seat' for the occasion.

Along with meeting both Peters, I was most impressed with the ambitions of the BWMRG. (No names, no pack-drill.   at the moment !)

The layout's main viewing point is from the North. (Not a favourable, prototype. view, according to several  photographers).

Approximately 35' long (Scale 1/2 Mile +). from the terminus stop-blocks, to the convenient exit, opposite the Carriage Cleaning Shed.

Beyond this. the line transcribes a 180 degrees curve to enter the 'Fiddle' ?, 'Formation' ? yard.

All the best,

Ceptic.

Hhmmm.....

P.S....

Looking at the file upload limit. here, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm doing it right ?   or,   if  it's all worth while ?. .

Edit :- Or, most likely, the Dopey old Duffer behind this thread.

See under the title 'Remembering to re-size the image to below 1000 of lord knows what'.     

Cheers.

Hi 

Just love the point work you have done, do not see that done very often.

Great bit of work, please keep the photo coming.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

What a superb layout, I always thought Bournemouth West would make a good model. I was born in 68  so missed out on Steam but have always liked Bulleid's and the S&D since operating a club members S&D layout at a show  in the early 80s. 

Best of luck with the layout.

Cheers Peter.

It's a pity George Pryor is no longer with us, but I wonder if Alan Greatbatch, a former signalling colleague of George's, could help, I'll ask him if I see him on Wednesday. :sungum:

Right Frank, I'd forgot that most of the written records,books, photos, and information owned by George was burnt after his death by a vengeful wife, for reasons I won't go into here. the little that was saved passed into the ownership of Mark Jamieson, MOM at Bournemouth station.

One other source of info could be Rex Kennedy ( Steam Days, and formerly OPC), he was a good friend of the last station master of Bournemouth West ( whose name escapes me at present!), who passed lots of info on to Rex for possible use in Steam Days magazine, whether it was published I don't know as I'm not a regular reader of that mag. I haven't seen Rex for a couple of years, whether he still lives in Westbourne I don't know, but I think his phone number is in the Steam Days mag. 

Another name that could be useful is Colin Stone, a self confessed Southern Railway/Bulleid pacific fan ( I was going to say 'nutter', but he wouldn't thank me for that :sungum: ), he can be found at Wimborne Railway Society most Thursday evenings.

• RMweb Gold

Another name that could be useful is Colin Stone, a self confessed Southern Railway/Bulleid pacific fan ( I was going to say 'nutter', but he wouldn't thank me for that :sungum: ), he can be found at Wimborne Railway Society most Thursday evenings.

I'll call him a nutter for you :sungum:  A very nice nutter though and generally top bloke  :jester:

• Like 2

Right Frank, I'd forgot that most of the written records,books, photos, and information owned by George was burnt after his death by a vengeful wife, for reasons I won't go into here. the little that was saved passed into the ownership of Mark Jamieson, MOM at Bournemouth station.

One other source of info could be Rex Kennedy ( Steam Days, and formerly OPC), he was a good friend of the last station master of Bournemouth West ( whose name escapes me at present!), who passed lots of info on to Rex for possible use in Steam Days magazine, whether it was published I don't know as I'm not a regular reader of that mag. I haven't seen Rex for a couple of years, whether he still lives in Westbourne I don't know, but I think his phone number is in the Steam Days mag. 

Echoing Roger's post, many thanks Paul.

It was committee members of the Bournemouth Railway Club (which, as a whole, is not a model club) who came up trumps with the 1889 drawings. These showing the 'Improvements' to the original 1874 station, as well as plans for the Goods Shed and Parcels Office. Unfortunately, the Signal Box plan was unavailable. (If anyone's interested, the Dorset History Centre, in Dorchester, hold the drawings for the Carriage Cleaning Shed, which is typical of many others on the SR).

Regarding Mark Jamieson, Gary, my son, who's SWT, based at BM, doesn't recall the name. He's going to make a few enquiries tho'. He thinks Mark may have either retired or been transferred to the, then, Railtrack after the 'great split-up / sell-off'.

I'll try and get in touch with Rex Kennedy, although I sometimes bump into one of his sons, Ian, as he lives just around the corner from here. Failing that, there's always the Poole MRS show, where Oakwood Press usually have a trade stand. A long way off, I know (In November).

Another fellow I've been meaning to get to have a natter with is Malcolm Ellis, SM at Parkstone. He has organised the small museum there, situated in the station's Waiting Room. (Was, once, the highlight of the 'Up-side Waiting Room at B'm'th Central). 

Also, thanks for the Colin Stone / WMRS contact. I've got to visit Wimborne in the near future.

Cheers, and once again, thanks.

All the best,

Frank. 

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I think Mark is now with Railtrack. I know him but not that well I follow him on Flickr though. so he could be contacted that way. I could ask my Brother if it's any help he is still in contact with him. They knew each other from work as my Brother worked at Bournemouth for a few years and I think Mark worked at Branksome Box.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mark is very much still with NR, I saw and talked to him last week ;) He was a Signalman at Bournemouth, then Eastleigh and moved to a MOM at Bournemouth. You can see his drawing skills in each of the Swanage Branch boxes as Mark does the main diagrams.

Tell me what you want by pm and I'll drop him an email.

Edited by PaulRhB

Ceptic,

It is good to see this layout develop. As I work for Network Rail, Railtracks successor, I just looked up Mark Jamieson via my phone.

There is an employee with that name. Unfortunately, at this moment I cannot confirm whether or not this is the man your looking for. I'll check when I get back in front of a computer at work.

Paul 4475

• RMweb Gold

George was his Signal Manager for years so definitely the right guy. His box diagrams are works of art and Mark is also a very good photographer and recorder of today's railway as well.

• Like 1

Talking of Parkstone (and going a tad OT), the station opened at the same time as B'm'th West in 1874 and many features of it's building were common to both.

Here's a few images to illustrate.

post-7009-0-10900900-1470318167_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-25787300-1470317992_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-16889000-1470318716_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-07294800-1470316619_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-80770700-1470319506_thumb.jpg

The distinctive chimney caps with their Wind Baffles (Originals made locally by C. Jennings, South Western Potteries, Parkstone)

post-7009-0-27569800-1470317002_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-55367000-1470319293_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-90109700-1470319790_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-79326900-1470319994_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-83757700-1470320711_thumb.jpg

Showing the contrasting horizontal brick courses, the exposed roof rafter ends and the arched 'Soldier' courses / Lintels over the windows and doors. All typical to both stations, although the majority of the Sash windows and doors fitted on the two storey / main buildings of B'm'th West featured semi-circular upper frames and ornate Gothic style, multi coloured brick Soldier courses.

post-7009-0-90399400-1470321438_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-52478400-1470321686_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-89131100-1470322089_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-84202600-1470322184_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-32251400-1470322268_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-73860500-1470322313_thumb.jpg

Parkstone's window and door details.

All the best.

Frank.

• Like 4

Hi Guys,

I think Mark is now with Railtrack. I know him but not that well I follow him on Flickr though. so he could be contacted that way. I could ask my Brother if it's any help he is still in contact with him. They knew each other from work as my Brother worked at Bournemouth for a few years and I think Mark worked at Branksome Box.

Cheers Peter.

Ceptic,

It is good to see this layout develop. As I work for Network Rail, Railtracks successor, I just looked up Mark Jamieson via my phone.

There is an employee with that name. Unfortunately, at this moment I cannot confirm whether or not this is the man your looking for. I'll check when I get back in front of a computer at work.

Paul 4475

Ceptic,

Paul 4475

George was his Signal Manager for years so definitely the right guy. His box diagrams are works of art and Mark is also a very good photographer and recorder of today's railway as well.

My word, what a response !

One Peter, A.k.a. P.C.M.. and three Pauls,   Paul A.k.a. bike2steam,  Paul A.k.a. Paul RbH,  and Paul 4475, A.k.a. Flying Fox,   In one day.    Must be something in the names.

A heartfelt thanks to each.

As an reference post-script, I forgot to mention, previously, the two comprehensive volumes by B.L.Jackson, describing the history and development of 'Castleman's Corkscrew', A.k.a. the 'Old Road', again published by Oakwood Press in 2008 & 2007. Therein both, there are several references to the West station and one where he lists the number of levers controlled by West station's S/B as 72, compared to the Central's 60.

All the best,

Frank.

Perhaps because someone decided on a good location to make a model railway of eh Frank ?? Now if it's portable, and for exhibition showing, and could be available for a S&DJR themed show -------?? :sungum:

I know where you're coming from / what you're thinking of Paul...  ...Nice one :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps because someone decided on a good location to make a model railway of eh Frank ?? Now if it's portable, and for exhibition showing, and could be available for a S&DJR themed show -------?? :sungum:

Well it is portable and is designed for exhibition showing - so what are you thinking of Paul?

Well it is portable and is designed for exhibition showing - so what are you thinking of Paul?

Just ideas at the moment, perhaps, but I'm tempted sometimes to organise another show a Blandford, it would be nice to have a model of each of the S&DJR terminus stations, but BGP's costs are a bit prohibitive unless you're running one of the big shows - as I said , at the moment just ideas.