The Bournemouth West Model Railway Group / Now known as The South Coast Model Railway Development Group / TSCMRDG

Ceptic

Hi Roger,

With reference to your post of 29/12/16, that several methods were used to work stock around BW, I think you have the right of it. Peter Smith in the combined book describes the Bath No 1 duty on P 53 and states "Depart from Bath station 3.06pm down 'Pines'; arrive Bournemouth 5.32pm. Shunt stock to carriage sidings,..." The implication being the train was backed out of the platforms by the train engine. Further on on P. 53, he states "With no rear end assistance, the '5' made a sure-footed start up the initial 1 in 90 bank,...", i.e. no assistance from the station pilot, which presumably propelled the stock to the platform. He also describes an amusing incident on P.153 where and M7, propelling a rake of 7 coaches down to the platforms from the carriage sidings had not been coupled to the train, only the vacuum connection had been made....!

Meanwhile, Roy Miles in his book "Right Away with the 'Pines'" (he was a guard on the S&D in the mid 1950s,) says "We had time only to check that the station pilot, usually an M7 0-4-4T which had brought the coaches into the platform from the carriage sidings, was uncoupled from the train...". He then says a little further down "The pilot would give us a welcome push to the platform end- it was no mean task for our Standard Class 5 4-6-0 or even a 9F 2-10-0  to start away from the 'West' with this heavy train."

Hope this is of interest.

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Roger,

With reference to your post of 29/12/16, that several methods were used to work stock around BW, I think you have the right of it. Peter Smith in the combined book describes the Bath No 1 duty on P 53 and states "Depart from Bath station 3.06pm down 'Pines'; arrive Bournemouth 5.32pm. Shunt stock to carriage sidings,..." The implication being the train was backed out of the platforms by the train engine. Further on on P. 53, he states "With no rear end assistance, the '5' made a sure-footed start up the initial 1 in 90 bank,...", i.e. no assistance from the station pilot, which presumably propelled the stock to the platform. He also describes an amusing incident on P.153 where and M7, propelling a rake of 7 coaches down to the platforms from the carriage sidings had not been coupled to the train, only the vacuum connection had been made....!

Meanwhile, Roy Miles in his book "Right Away with the 'Pines'" (he was a guard on the S&D in the mid 1950s,) says "We had time only to check that the station pilot, usually an M7 0-4-4T which had brought the coaches into the platform from the carriage sidings, was uncoupled from the train...". He then says a little further down "The pilot would give us a welcome push to the platform end- it was no mean task for our Standard Class 5 4-6-0 or even a 9F 2-10-0  to start away from the 'West' with this heavy train."

Hope this is of interest.

David

Oh yes David, of great interest. I had the opportunity to meet Peter when we first started doing the research for BW, a very interesting chap, and most knowledgeable. We hope to have him take a look at the layout sometime in the not too distant future. His input would be invaluable.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm aware there's not been a lot on here recently, the reason is we have been busy "playing trains" or rather working out an operating sequence so we can all get used to it. Some things have progressed though, the fiddle yard traverser has been tweaked again and is now working well and further buildings have appeared plus more vegetation. The auto uncoupling system is working very well and three locos are now equipped with it for the station pilot and shunting duties. When our resident cameraman is able I'll try and post a video on here of it in operation.post-20301-0-62112100-1489743425.jpegpost-20301-0-19401500-1489743470.jpeg

A couple of pics from last nights session. "Weymouth" brings in the Bournemouth West portion of The Royal Wessex and an M7 departs with a push pull service to Brockenhurst.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Roger, when's it likely to be ready for exhibiting? Just wondering if 2019 would be an opportunity to get this and Wimborne together at the Wimborne show :)

Hi Paul

Our first outing is at Swindon in September this year. I'm more than happy to book it in for Wimborne 2019 if you want to.

• Like 1

Hello project,

I have in my collection a photocopy of :h

BRITISH RAILWAYS

SOUTHERN REGION

CARRIAGE WORKING NOTICE

STEAM TRAINS

Commencing 12th September, 1960,

and until further notiice.

SOUTHERN DISTRICT

It has cover plus 55 pages in total, coverage as below

Is all or part of it of interest?

I should be able to scan and send electronically..

regards,

Rodney Hills

Surrey, Uk

Pages 1 to 45-upper cover WEEKDAYS

Pages 45-lower to 55 cover SUNDAYS

Stations included with approx number of workings, weekdays uness otherwise indicated

Alresford 1

Bailey Gate 1

Bournemouth Central 65 ( c 6 1/2 pages )

Bournemouth Central Goods 6

Bournemouth West SX 83, SO 70 (c 6 pages)

Bridport 3

Broadstone 1

Brockenhurst 37

Christchurch 7

Dorchester South 7

Dorchester West 1

Eastleigh c 110

Fareham 16

Fawley 6

Gosport 2

Lymington Pier 16

Lymington Town 11

Maiden Newton 5

Poole 10

Romsey 2

Southampton Central 19

Southampton Docks 20

Southamton Terninus 41

Swanage 21

Totton 1

Wareham 24

Weymouth SX 46 SO 55

Weymouth Quay 6

Wimborne 8

Winchester City 8

Yeovil Pen Mill 17

-----

SUNDAYS

Bournemouth Central 28 Sun

Bournemouth West 27 Sun

Brockenhurst 15 Sun

Dorchester South 2 Sun

Eastleigh 17 Sun

Lymington Pier 9 Sun

Lymington Town 5 Sun

Poole 2 Sun

Southampton Central 3 Sun

.. Docks 2 Sun

.. Terminus 9 Sun

Swanage 6 Sun

Wareham 5 Sun

Weymouth 19 Sun

Yeovil Pen Mill 6 Sun

..END

Hello Rodney

I am not a member of the project but would welcome a copy. I'd be happy to reciprocate anything that I have.

Brian

Brian,

That was quick.!

I will try and get it scanned.

BTW - there are a couple of typos in my post - I can edit and correct and preview but how do I save the edited version?

regards, Rodney

• RMweb Premium

Hello project,

I have in my collection a photocopy of :h

BRITISH RAILWAYS

SOUTHERN REGION

CARRIAGE WORKING NOTICE

STEAM TRAINS

Commencing 12th September, 1960,

and until further notiice.

SOUTHERN DISTRICT

It has cover plus 55 pages in total, coverage as below

Is all or part of it of interest?

I should be able to scan and send electronically..

regards,

Rodney Hills

Surrey, Uk

Pages 1 to 45-upper cover WEEKDAYS

Pages 45-lower to 55 cover SUNDAYS

Stations included with approx number of workings, weekdays uness otherwise indicated

Alresford 1

Bailey Gate 1

Bournemouth Central 65 ( c 6 1/2 pages )

Bournemouth Central Goods 6

Bournemouth West SX 83, SO 70 (c 6 pages)

Bridport 3

Broadstone 1

Brockenhurst 37

Christchurch 7

Dorchester South 7

Dorchester West 1

Eastleigh c 110

Fareham 16

Fawley 6

Gosport 2

Lymington Pier 16

Lymington Town 11

Maiden Newton 5

Poole 10

Romsey 2

Southampton Central 19

Southampton Docks 20

Southamton Terninus 41

Swanage 21

Totton 1

Wareham 24

Weymouth SX 46 SO 55

Weymouth Quay 6

Wimborne 8

Winchester City 8

Yeovil Pen Mill 17

-----

SUNDAYS

Bournemouth Central 28 Sun

Bournemouth West 27 Sun

Brockenhurst 15 Sun

Dorchester South 2 Sun

Eastleigh 17 Sun

Lymington Pier 9 Sun

Lymington Town 5 Sun

Poole 2 Sun

Southampton Central 3 Sun

.. Docks 2 Sun

.. Terminus 9 Sun

Swanage 6 Sun

Wareham 5 Sun

Weymouth 19 Sun

Yeovil Pen Mill 6 Sun

..END

Rodney

Thanks for this, sorry I've just seen it. We would very much appreciate the info for Bournemouth West. We did manage to get hold of a copy of the CWN some time ago but it's much earlier. 1960 is spot on for the period we are modelling. If you can scan them and PM me with them, even better. Look forward to seeing these.

Kind regards.

• RMweb Premium

Roger, when's it likely to be ready for exhibiting? Just wondering if 2019 would be an opportunity to get this and Wimborne together at the Wimborne show :)

I would definitely make a point of travelling to see that.

Hi Paul

Our first outing is at Swindon in September this year. I'm more than happy to book it in for Wimborne 2019 if you want to.

Swindon ? ? ? thats GW territory!

• RMweb Premium

I would definitely make a point of travelling to see that.

Swindon ? ? ? thats GW territory!

Well yes it is. Our other layouts, in our group, are Horfield (GWR) and New Kensal Green (GWR) and these have already appeared at Swindon (more than once). Let's say it's a bonus for both of us. Swindon gets a new to the circuit layout, we get an early opportunity to test the layout under exhibition circumstances.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

post-10226-0-81081600-1490794241_thumb.jpgpost-10226-0-75311900-1490794261_thumb.jpgpost-10226-0-77578900-1490794282_thumb.jpg

Phil thank you so much for sharing the contents of your dads log. Info like this is vital if we are to get it right. The loco numbers are also of immense value as, other than one of our group, none of us were around in the 60s. Can I ask if there is any more info like this. If so, would you be willing to share it with us?

Roger,
Thanks to Phil Sutters’ link from an SDJR thread, I have just found the BW layout. I am most impressed indeed and wish the club well in progressing it for Swindon and elsewhere.
With grandparents in Poole, I used to spend holiday weeks based there.  I didn’t spend much time at BW itself but did watch and record the railway action I saw from 1963 to 1967. I did however visit BW on what I think was its last day – 31/7/65 – and photographed the third last S&D departure, the 17.30 to Templecombe. I’ve uploaded this and a couple of other shots to Flickr at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tingleytim/33586343561/in/datetaken-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tingleytim/32873592854/in/datetaken-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tingleytim/33586342871/in/datetaken-public/
Most of my visits to BW were to catch the 11.40 to Bath arriving from Poole at 10.47 on the 5.58 from Bristol.
Your response to Phil’s dad’s notes has prompted me to post some of my own.  I’ve attached the pages that I wrote on 31/7/65 which give a lot of info about the trains that were running on West’s last day. They were mostly observed from the Poole side of Branksome triangle, so there’s not much about trains that went to/from West/Central. Hope they’re of interest. The very last S&D departure from West was I believe the 22.05 SO to Templecombe, missing off the posted pages, which left behind 80039.
I’ll continue to follow progress with interest, especially looking for opportunities to come down and see it in action.
Cheers.
Tim.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just a quick update. We have dismantled the layout to tidy up some areas underneath and fix some ongoing infrastructure issues. At the same time Dave is building the transportation system. This will allow us to stack the majority of the boards on two "shelved" trolleys. Only 6 of the boards will be bolted front to front for travelling purposes, this will save a lot of time setting up and taking down.

As each scenic board comes down they are being worked on to fit final details etc.

The first one is the Prince of Wales road bridge board, here's a pic under the railway.post-20301-0-58589700-1493560068_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick update. We have dismantled the layout to tidy up some areas underneath and fix some ongoing infrastructure issues. At the same time Dave is building the transportation system. This will allow us to stack the majority of the boards on two "shelved" trolleys. Only 6 of the boards will be bolted front to front for travelling purposes, this will save a lot of time setting up and taking down.

As each scenic board comes down they are being worked on to fit final details etc.

The first one is the Prince of Wales road bridge board, here's a pic under the railway.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

You can imagine the storm of protest that ad would attract these days.

Edit to add: Not an expert on Minis, but I think that poster must date from around 1970, so somewhat out of era for the layout.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

The first one is the Prince of Wales road bridge board, here's a pic under the railway.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Drove along that road twice this evening and that view really captures the look and fell of that location.

Good stuff.

• 2 months later...

Just an update. Today, at long last, the 16 road traverser and accompanying loop, to reverse full trains ready for their next turn, was finished and tested. Hallelujah!

To be fair though we have only run a loco through everything so far - testing with up to 12 coaches is still to do.

We had obtained the original plans of all the major railway related buildings some time back and Frank (better known as Ceptic Frank on this website) has done some fantastic work on scaling and drawing these to 4mm. The main station building has been broken down into 3 main parts and I hope to cover the build of the model in stages as I do it. The main shell will be from Foamex, as was the goods shed, with overlays of SEF English bond brick sheet. The main building was quite a complex shape. The following should give some idea but I will try and entice Frank to add some of his stunning drawings as well.attachicon.gifimage.png

Frank---What a wonderfully detailed drawing beautifully drawn for others to share--thank you,

Ed

• RMweb Premium

You can imagine the storm of protest that ad would attract these days.

Edit to add: Not an expert on Minis, but I think that poster must date from around 1970, so somewhat out of era for the layout.

Yes you are right Joseph. We will change this when we get a more suitable poster. I originally used it on a blue era diesel layout (70's) .

• RMweb Premium

Frank---What a wonderfully detailed drawing beautifully drawn for others to share--thank you,

Ed

Frank's drawings have been a fantastic help in getting the layout to its present state. Sorry about the lack of updates but all the work has been on running sessions (we are getting there but solving some of the issues of operating a Terminus like this are taking a bit of thought) and infrastructure items. Dave has created three large trollies which, barring the 2 station boards, take all the remaining boards- 18 of them! Then we've improved the way the boards go together with a captive bolt system. All this will pay dividends once we are exhibiting, although it doesn't make for a riveting update. One thing we are very pleased with is the automatic Kadee uncoupling system, used by the station pilots. I think I've said before this is a little known system marketed by Prescimodels, a Swiss company. In conjunction with a Zimo decoder it has to be seen to be appreciated. If I can I will post a video of it in action. It deserves to be more widely appreciated.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes you are right Joseph. We will change this when we get a more suitable poster. I originally used it on a blue era diesel layout (70's) .

If I spotted it, you would certainly have got plenty of comment from others.

For those who are not car nerds, it's the lack of external door hinges which stands out (or rather, does not).

If I spotted it, you would certainly have got plenty of comment from others.

For those who are not car nerds, it's the lack of external door hinges which stands out (or rather, does not).

As well as the later front grill and a more modern design style for me.

Love the layout, one of the few larger scale threads I follow as an N gauge modeller.

Best wishes

Simon