Ashfield Valley

mwrosebury2000

• 2 weeks later...

I have started work on the ground signals and have gone through more drill bits than I care to recall. I have bought the final (I think) building for the village, these buildings will have lighting fitted when I get around to it. I have also made some tables from a kit bought off Ebay, they look good but are a pain to build and have lead to a lot of bad language.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

I don't but I will get one for you when time allows, I have been a bit poor in adding photos haven't I.

I have put some stattic grass down or is that up?

The midway sation on the preserved line is made from Hornby platforms, these are a mix of old and new stuff so some had faded. I have quickly filled the holes and have given them a quick coat of paint. Whilte lines will be added to the platform edge as well as lighting, seats, signs etc.

The footpath in the village is slowly being superglued down, hopefully this will be complete by the end of the week.

I want to hook up the power to the track and give it a little test before I add the ballast.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Not having a good week, my woodland scenics stripe pen isn't working as it should (think the nib is full of dried paint), also had some plastic brick that has bubbled a bit.

Sheep have been added to the field and fence posts have been laid out ready to be installed.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Holes for the fence posts have been added and posts put in place, just need to add the wire. One side of the street has a footpath now, the other side is almost done.

I have started to add plasterboad to the cellar ceiling, should have done this before I started the model.

White strip added to the midway station.

Cables have been connected to the signals (well some of them), going to work on some of the ground signals tonight.

More plasterboard to go up at weekend.

Going to ask my other half to take some pics as she is better at it than I am.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

The plaster board has gone up and the sound improvement is amazing.

Cleaned the top of the rails after painting them. Connected up the power and desaster... my controler is bust, packed up up and i'm sending it for repair.

I was hoping to give the layout a run before ballasting this section.

Pylons have been built and are ready to be placed before the cables are added.

Painted the canopy for the midway station.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Got my controler back from Gaugemaster, what amazing customer service they have.

I have run a few trains over the layout and it all works as it should.

The midway station is coming on really well, canopy has been installed and the lighting has been done and is ready for connecting. I need to add the benches, bins and people then fencing will be added.

I have put some signals in on this line now and you can get a bit of a feel for how it will be when complete.

Signal box and point / signal cables etc to go in next, then I will add ballast before weathering.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of pics from the other week.

post-4413-0-54348800-1506905973_thumb.jpg

The station is made from Hornby with the holes filled in and the surface has been painted with a tarmac colour paint. I have added a 3rd column to the middle of the canopy, I had to make a hole for this one. The canopy has been trimmed so that a building can fit behind it. Slaters brick has been put over the (oversize in my opinion) Hornby ones. The whole thing has been painted, I still need to add the mortar to the bricks and weather it. I am happy with the result so far.

post-4413-0-61368200-1506906009_thumb.jpg

Wire will be added to the pylons as well as the danger of death signs to bring it to life. The signals are from the Dapol range the signals on the approach to the station will be custom built.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Happy New Year to you all, i'm not going to make a modeling new years resolution as I never stick to them but I will outline what I hope to achive over the next year.

I hope to get a couple of Dogfish for the layout and complete the raised section of the layout, building scenary the lot.

I want to get the cellar floor finished and tidy.

I want to get the signalling on the preserved section done and the train dectection installed on the main layout.

Also want to connect all the droppers for the track.

This might not sound like too much but with a full time job, working at a heritage railway, bee keeping, growing fruit and veg as well as keeping my wife happy I think I have my work cut out for me.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

post-4413-0-76327800-1518368922_thumb.jpg

Dry stone walling has been painted along with the stone on the viaduct. I couldn’t find a RTR Dogfish so I have tackled my first kit. It’s not the best but I’m quite pleased for a first attempt.

I have a bridge number to add to the viaduct and a bit of ballasting to do.

I have started to add the point rodding and I have some signal balance weights (I think that’s what they are called), these are made out of brass and I only had plastic glue to hand so wouldn’t stick to the signals, I will get some super glue this week.

Any questions just ask.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Bridge number has been added, as well as the siganl ballance weights and some ballast untill I ran out (now on order). The fence posts are up and I just need to add the wire to the fence.

Cosmetic fish plates have been added across the viaduct on both lines through the station. I have made some anti trespass bars to stop those pesky dog walkers. I have built a signal gantry for the other end of the station and installed the power cables to the signals.

I still need to finish the fencing at the other end and put platform 2 in place, then maybe start work on the switch pannel. A job for next week I think.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Not had much time for modles due to work. I have added the carpark surface and level crossing (just need to put the gates in). The track for platform 2 has been raised so that trains are right for the platform. Point rodding is coming along but is taking ages to do. The fishplates have been painted rust colour and will be "oiled" when the latest bit of ballast has dried. Got a bit more of the cellar sorted to.

Mark

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

post-4413-0-91717900-1526830446_thumb.jpg

post-4413-0-21218300-1526830520_thumb.jpg

post-4413-0-58611300-1526830656_thumb.jpg

I’ve finished the point rodding, the footbridge has been built. I have also built and painted the farm house. I added a Sky dish and TV aerial and I have also put telegraph poles up the road to the farm. Once I have finished platform 2 I will start work on the farm yard.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

I've been a bit busy with work and other commitments but I have managed to put the rest of the fencing around the station car park and weather the track from just before the level crossing to the other side of the viaduct. I have also put some really tiny wire from the SB to the signal that is furthest away, I will do the rest when my eyes recover.

Also been doing a bit of sorting out and got rid of a big box of cardboard.

I need to find the benches for platform 2, I have put them in a safe place (big mistake) and get on with painting people.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered some cars from Germany, I also ordered some paint for one of them. Well it has all turned up and a Ford has been pulled apart, rubbed down and has the first coat of paint applied. It will soon look like my wife’s old KA.

I have made some raised beds for the garden out of some sleepers, these have been painted along with some of the out buildings.

Hopefully I will get some more modelling done tomorrow.

Mark

Some resent progress on the layout.

post-4413-0-76139600-1529595202_thumb.jpg

This is my first attempt at building a signal gantry with semaphore signals and it’s not quite up to scratch with others on here but as a first attempt I don't think that its too bad.

It is made from a gantry kit, MSE components and brass rod with the lamps being some loco lamps that have had the handle removed.

On the left of the signal the main arm works and the smaller arm on the right of the signal works.

All 4 have working lamps behind them although the small arm on the right lost a lens during assembly.

I still need to add the rod from the gantry to the servos under the baseboards and box the cables in.

The fixed signals have the option of being made operational in the future.

post-4413-0-75966900-1529595296_thumb.jpg

The raised beds are made from sleepers with cotton wool pads with a bit of earth colour scatter. The path is fine ballast.

I have ordered some plants and a green house. Tools and compost bins will also be added.

The fields between the wall and track will be tackled next and then this part of the layout will be looking a bit more like finished.

Mark

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The plants have arrived, I have built the green house and the cucumber plants are growing nicely, tomatoes are taking a bit longer but it should be worth it.

I have started to paint the pigs, I wanted large blacks but couldn’t find any so the ears aren’t quite right.

I am also after modelling my dog but as a rare breed again I cant get an off the shelf model and don’t know how to go about getting one 3D printed.

My plan for the weekend is to get some serious work done on the layout but I'm unsure if this will be cosmetic work, wiring or a bit of both.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Some pictures showing the progress from the weekend.

I think I will add some bushes along the railway line and maybe some track marks in the pig field. I have also made all the plants for the vegetable plot, they just need planting in the raised beds.

I feel that this part of the layout is missing something but I just cant put my finger on it…

post-4413-0-98283900-1531757294_thumb.jpg

post-4413-0-71764800-1531757382_thumb.jpg

post-4413-0-56483100-1531757642_thumb.jpg

post-4413-0-69357400-1531757742_thumb.jpg

post-4413-0-34758700-1531757857_thumb.jpg

Mark

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have put a hedge along the road next to the field and have put the telegraph poles in for the farm and signal box.

My latest mini project was converting an old power supply from a PC to provide power for signals, lighting and points on the layout. This turned out to be a lot easier than I thought and now provides me with 5v & 12v DC. The point motor took ages for me to get it right but I have tested it over and over again and it is finally reliable (until I come to run trains that is).

I have painted a few people to go on the platform and have a few more to finish before I place them.

Next on the to do list is finish the people and wiring before giving the track some more weathering and a clean.

Mark