Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Results - The Wishlist Poll 2015

Many thanks Brian and the rest of the poll team for a successful 2015 Poll.

I was a little disappointed that my favourite loco the LSWR Adams T3 only had 110 votes but nonetheless it did manage to just make it into the mid scores in the SR category. I still hold out hope that one day it may get done as part of the National Collection in Miniature series.

Perhaps next year Brian we could have the LSWR Adams A12 Jubilee (another of my favourites) on the poll ?

Cheers,

Chris

Many thanks Brian and the rest of the poll team for a successful 2015 Poll.

I was a little disappointed that my favourite loco the LSWR Adams T3 only had 110 votes but nonetheless it did manage to just make it into the mid scores in the SR category. I still hold out hope that one day it may get done as part of the National Collection in Miniature series.

Perhaps next year Brian we could have the LSWR Adams A12 Jubilee (another of my favourites) on the poll ?

Cheers,

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Hello David

I think these are the ones you want. If you need any others, just ask.

Please bear in mind that The Poll is 'not an exact science'. Items are deleted and new ones go in each year, whilst others - for the best reasons - may be amended, split, combined or possibly moved from one category to another.

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

3. SR Steam Locos.pdf

5. LNER Steam Locos.pdf

7. Diesel, Gas Turbine & Electric Locos.pdf

• RMweb Gold

Dear All

Below is a summary of how the Warley announcements have impacted The 2015 Poll results (to the best of our current awareness):

Top 50

Prototype HST - Locomotion Models/Rapido

Other High Polling

GER/LNER B12/3 - Hornby

Industrial 0-6-0 Diesel - Golden Valley Hobbies (Janus)

SR Cattle Wagons (Diag.1529 & Diag.1530) - Hornby

Middle Polling

Class A & B Tank Wagons - Heljan

LMS Coke Wagon (Diag.1729) - Hornby

BR Coke Wagon (Diag.1/151) - Hornby

Hello David

Please bear in mind that The Poll is 'not an exact science'. Items are deleted and new ones go in each year, whilst others - for the best reasons - may be amended, split, combined or possibly moved from one category to another.

Thanks Brian - much appreciated. 

Do you happen to have those spreadsheets with the number of votes per loco?  I'm also interested in how the concentration of votes shifts on a year to year basis and the spread / histograms. 

David

• RMweb Premium

Hello David

Well, looking at the SR loco list I believe that the manufacturers are heeding this wishlist. So, a mighty hussar to/for Brian and Co

Phil    

Seconded. I have been tracking the top end of the OO wishlists since 2009, and it is pretty obvious that what has been called for consistently, is by and large being 'converted' into available models. That's locos, stock and some anciliaries. Hornby alone have now racked up near half the total of 'wanteds' from the top end of the 2009 poll - including the Q6 - either available or announced; and most of the rest are either available or announced by the other players.

• RMweb Premium

I just find it astonishing that Bullieds Leader, an ugly one off experimental loco , that lasted what......months , scores 232. Yet I think the highest Scottish loco , the Caley Jumbo scores 159. Incredible and very disheartening!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Phil (#33)

We never claim that things happen specifically because of The Poll - we simply hope that the wishes of the voters reflect the same message that makers will get from all their other sources. The Poll tells us how modellers are thinking (given the bounds and constraints of the method and level of participation).

As noted above, it is not an exact science - but the results (pre-2012 and post-2012 when the current Team took over) seem to have some cohesion.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Legend (#35)

The Bulleid Leader has climbed up - but so have the Caley locos. This year is the first time that not one but three CR locos are in the 'high polling' segment. An NBR loco appears for the first time in the 'high pollers' of LNER.

PS With apologies to all, but I can't seem to reply quoting the original posting!

• RMweb Premium

Hello Legend (#35)

The Bulleid Leader has climbed up - but so have the Caley locos. This year is the first time that not one but three CR locos are in the 'high polling' segment. An NBR loco appears for the first time in the 'high pollers' of LNER.

PS With apologies to all, but I can't seem to reply quoting the original posting!

Ah I see. In the high polling segment for LMS and LNER respectively but still outside the overall top 50.

Thanks Brian . Great poll, just the results I disagree with! I think I have to conclude I'm not representative of opinion!

• RMweb Gold

Hello Jub45565 (# eight)

If we deleted items of a similar ilk to 'Big Bertha' (for example, The Great Bear, Turbomotive, P2 Streamlined, LNER Garratt, Hush Hush, Class 252 Prototype HST) then we would get complaints of bias. In fact, Turbomotive was in for 2012, but was deleted due to low votes - however, it was requested for re-listing and went into the bottom end of the LMS 'middle pollers' in 2014 and finished up towards the higher end of that segment this year.

We provide The Guide to give everyone a 'potted history' to aid their decision (if they don't already have the knowledge that many here will already have).

(Edited twice as posting number in figures somehow selected a totally inappropriate 'emoticon'!!)

I just find it astonishing that Bulleid's Leader, an ugly one off experimental loco , that lasted what......months , scores 232. Yet I think the highest Scottish loco , the Caley Jumbo scores 159...

No accounting for lack of taste is there? I have no doubt whatsoever about what would sell more product if placed on dealer's shelves. Any of the significant successful classes built under the signatures of Drummond, Holmes, McIntosh, Reid (just to pick out the four that I would guess at being most prolific for locos surviving into BR service) will I think work their magic once seen in model form.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks 34C (# 42)

Along with many others, a Press Release about The Poll went to the Caledonian Railway Society and I think they were trying to get details onto their web group. (The one for the NBR was sadly too late for inclusion in their magazine.)

If any CR Society members are reading this, perhaps they could kindly let us know? Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm - industrial steam still doing well, slightly surprised industrial diesel didn't do a bit better (as those Hornby Sentinels are relatively-late prototypes). I suspect assessing the potential market may still remain hard to quantify.

Metropolitan/LT Dreadnought coaches did extraordinarily well, without a lot of special pleading. An outlier, or a new trend?

I think Heljans Metropolitan Bo-Bo had a lot to do with it.

Undoubtedly - and presumably if the E Class 4-4-0t were to appear (or Sarah Siddons herself), some Ashbury stock might be as popular. I was just expecting less of a spike, and to me suggests more interest than impulse-buying and making do with Hornby Gresley suburbans (great though they are) or repainted Grafar, etc.

I was also surprised to see a single S Stock car as a "must-have" Christmas gift in one of the papers, too.

.  Has anyone a sensible reason for why the three "outstanding" Standard Class locos (Standard Class 2 2-6-0 (355 votes), Standard Class 3 2-6-0 (354 votes) and Standard Class 2 2-6-2T (315 votes)) are being consistently ignored by manufacturers ?

The only "theory" I have heard is that Hornby thinks these are obviously going to be done by Bachmann and that Bachmann have other choices to do first ????????

( P.S. who was that one brave person that voted for the Class 2 2-6-0, but not the Class 3 2-6-0 ? )

----------------

Also, The SR U-class 2-6-0 polled 347 votes (making it the third highest polling steam loco after two of the Standards) but the LBSC K-Class 2-6-0 (a much nicer looking loco to my eyes) only managed 216 votes, being behind such things as the Bullied Leader and a re-vamp of a Lord Nelson (which is necessary) and of all classes a Z-Class 0-8-0T which had very little geographical spread ?

Strangely enough it is these odd (to my mind !) results which makes the poll both interesting and of use - showing me (partially) how skewed my views are and how particular classes catch various peoples' attention.

No accounting for lack of taste is there? I have no doubt whatsoever about what would sell more product if placed on dealer's shelves. Any of the significant successful classes built under the signatures of Drummond, Holmes, McIntosh, Reid (just to pick out the four that I would guess at being most prolific for locos surviving into BR service) will I think work their magic once seen in model form.

And "Big Bertha" topping the LMS poll !  If ever a loco. had a restricted sphere of operation that surely is it.

Interesting to see that 3 Caley types (Jumbo,812,439) all come out ahead of the top NBR poller (the J36) - but only just. These 4 represent the best chance of seeing the light of day in RTR form,I guess. Oddly (to my mind) none of the 4-4-0s do so well. I wonder if the D30 and D34 would do better if they were offered separately ?   Combining them strikes me as a bit of a false choice. It's not as if they differed only in terms of detail.

What might improve the prospects of the best Scottish candidates would be a poll organised on a "knock-out" basis,with the lowest poller dropping out after each round until we were left with (say) 2 top runners. Any thoughts on that?

DR

• RMweb Gold

Hello Phil

The U Class was originally on the Eastern & Central Sections, then to the Western Section. They were even seen on the S&D. They lasted until 1966.

The K was more generally restricted to the Central and went by 1962 (but I agree that it is 'attractive' and we even mention that in The Guide!).

In the late 50s, the Z was based at Exmouth Junction, Salisbury, Ashford and Templecombe (although not specifically on the S&D line per se).

• RMweb Gold

Hello Lochinvar (# 47)

We wouldn't run such a poll, but if you search RMweb for 'Scottish Loco Poll' you will find something similar that was run in 2010. You may like to take up the matter there.

We originally had the D30 and D34 separately, but felt they could be combined. I will definitely raise the point on the agenda for you.

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team).

Archived