A question: have Edwardian, host of this thread, and Martin S-C, host of another thread that has a lot of 'cross-contributorship', ever been seen in the same place at the same time?

Just asking.

Quite likely.  Martin gives his location as Peterborough and, until three years ago, I lived but 20 minutes or so outside Peterb8gger (as we called it), in the soggier regions to the east.

Having said that, I don't know Martin (so far as I know!) other than by his on-line persona.

Given the amount of time I spent in Peterb*gger town centre, I may well have stalked past him at some stage, perhaps even with a troublesome little red-head in tow.

Actually, I changed trains in Peterb*gger yesterday, en route to a site visit. Where Martin S-C was at the time, I really couldn't say!

Perhaps he'll turn out to be a former teacher of one of my offspring, or a member of the Cathedral chapter, or a customer of Trains 4U (and I spent enough time in that Alladin's cave to have bumped into all its customers at one time or another!).

• Like 5

Haha, that's funny. I have only known Peterb*gger for less than 3 years. Prior to that I only went there a few times - once to get a passport and a couple of others when the Midland mainline was broken and I had to get home to Leicestershire via Kings Cross, changing at Peterthingy. This was when I worked in London of course.

I had another job for 2 years which involved me driving around the city quite a lot but only moved there a few months ago when I retired. A strange choice of retirement location one might think but there were reasons that I won't go into here.

Prior to that I have lived in south London, Brighton, Kibworth, Kineton near Warwick, and near Kettering, hopping about the place fairly frequently, surfing live's waves of financial opportunity. At one time I lived only a few miles from Naseby battlefield, the last major battle of the First Civil War and then moved to Kineton only a stone's thrown from Edgehill battlefield, the first major battle of said unhappy conflict. As military history is my other hobby I got out and about exploring both places, though of course lots of Edgehill is under MOD occupation.

When my layout is in suitable condition there will be a general call-up for volunteers to operate it since on my own I can only potter about at one station or another. I think it will need six operators to really function, so anyone interested in that sort of thing will be very welcome. I won't spam James' thread any more but announce it again on my own thread nearer the time.

...and yes, the very convenient but wallet-draining Trains4u is only a few minutes drive from me. That's both a blessing and a curse.

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 4

Haha, that's funny. I have only known Peterb*gger for less than 3 years. Prior to that I only went there a few times - once to get a passport and a couple of others when the Midland mainline was broken and I had to get home to Leicestershire via Kings Cross, changing at Peterthingy. This was when I worked in London of course.

I had another job for 2 years which involved me driving around the city quite a lot but only moved there a few months ago when I retired. A strange choice of retirement location one might think but there were reasons that I won't go into here.

Prior to that I have lived in south London, Brighton, Kibworth, Kineton near Warwick, and near Kettering, hopping about the place fairly frequently, surfing live's waves of financial opportunity. At one time I lived only a few miles from Naseby battlefield, the last major battle of the First Civil War and then moved to Kineton only a stone's thrown from Edgehill battlefield, the first major battle of said unhappy conflict. As military history is my other hobby I got out and about exploring both places, though of course lots of Edgehill is under MOD occupation.

When my layout is in suitable condition there will be a general call-up for volunteers to operate it since on my own I can only potter about at one station or another. I think it will need six operators to really function, so anyone interested in that sort of thing will be very welcome. I won't spam James' thread any more but announce it again on my own thread nearer the time.

...and yes, the very convenient but wallet-draining Trains4u is only a few minutes drive from me. That's both a blessing and a curse.

Ah, so a lack of temporal synchronicity, but, as I am a native of Leicestershire, I am not sure your account suffices to free us from the suspicions of Nearholmer (whom I have met and who is barely recognisable without the peaked cap).

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

It was those Ratio kits that finally prompted me to ask. I’m sure the same soon-to-be-made kits have figured in CA, or did I dream that?

Hope neither of you is too offended.

I was considering the Ratio 4-wheelers for some of the more modern (1890s) 4-wheelers, but for sometime the plan has been to use cut and shut Triang coaches for 4 and 6 wheelers, using Ratio Midland suburban coach roofs and ends. Triang coach bashing is hardly an original idea, and I notice that Martin is planning to do some too.

He also plans to adopt a similar, green and cream, coach livery and to build a trestle bridge.  He flatteringly asked to feature WNR goods stock.  All in all, I expect that Martin will manage to build my layout before I do!

EDIT: There has been no further progress on either the 4 or 6 wheelers for some considerable number of months!  The 6-wheeler body was photographed in October 2016, and is in the same condition today. The 4-wheelers from February 2017, still incomplete.  Further livery tests in May 2017.

Quite shaming.

I do have some Ratio GW 4-wheelers actually part built as GW 4-wheelers.  Must finish these, too!

post-25673-0-76060200-1539865927_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-16576600-1539866056_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-13018600-1539866138_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-59616800-1539866170_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-72501900-1539866246_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-34564200-1539866277_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-03107600-1539866558_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-79492600-1539866674_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I was considering the Ratio 4-wheelers for some of the more modern (1890s) 4-wheelers, but for sometime the plan has been to use cut and shut Triang coaches for 4 and 6 wheelers, using Ratio Midland suburban coach roofs and ends. Triang coach bashing is hardly an original idea, and I notice that Martin is planning to do some too.

He also plans to adopt a similar, green and cream, coach livery and to build a trestle bridge.  He flatteringly asked to feature WNR goods stock.  All in all, I expect that Martin will manage to build my layout before I do!

EDIT: There has been no further progress on either the 4 or 6 wheelers for some considerable number of months!  The 6-wheeler body was photographed in October 2016, and is in the same condition today. The 4-wheelers from February 2017, still incomplete.  Further livery tests in May 2017.

Quite shaming.

I do have some Ratio GW 4-wheelers actually part built as GW 4-wheelers.  Must finish these, too!

Not sure why it is 'shaming'.  The list of my uncompleted work is probably longer than yours, plus I am adding new projects to the bottom of my list which I have no idea when they will start.

• Like 3

It was a pair of Johnson Midland Ratio loco kits I put up photos of - the 4-4-0 and the 2-4-0... well the unopened boxes anyway... I think they are similar engines to what was being discussed here a few pages back.

I have an Alan Gibson T26 and a Dragon Models 4-4-0 small Sharpie to get done at some point too. So many loco kits, so few years left to go...

Neatly done GW 4-wheelers James, is the rear coach the Shirescenes brass sides Dia.T36 conversion?

• Like 3

It was a pair of Johnson Midland Ratio loco kits I put up photos of - the 4-4-0 and the 2-4-0... well the unopened boxes anyway... I think they are similar engines to what was being discussed here a few pages back.

I have an Alan Gibson T26 and a Dragon Models 4-4-0 small Sharpie to get done at some point too. So many loco kits, so few years left to go...

Neatly done GW 4-wheelers James, is the rear coach the Shirescenes brass sides Dia.T36 conversion?

Ah, wrong Ratio!

Must keep up!

Yes, it's the Shire Scenes overlay. 

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 4

I just think 8'6" wide is not what I'd expect for ordinary carriages of the 1880s/90s - 8'0" being a more typical dimension. 

Well, IIRC, the Triangs are 8'.

Must be a kind of magic!

EDIT: I will add that these are modern 4 and 6-wheel mainline carriages of the 1890s, so the most generous on the line in terms of length and compartment spacing, in case that makes you feel any happier concerning such extravagance.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3

EDIT: I will add that these are modern 4 and 6-wheel mainline carriages of the 1890s, so the most generous on the line in terms of length and compartment spacing, in case that makes you feel any happier concerning such extravagance.

Its a dreadful waste of money. Our shareholders are pushing for carriages 7 feet wide and 30 feet long with no seating. Even roofs are seen as an unnecessary infringement on share dividends. The directors of the L&M in 1830 had the right idea.

- Board of Directors, WNR

There was some discussion on block instruments, many many pages ago - somewhere in the 120s I think, I have a bookmark to the area which I found a couple of days ago, but I can't remember which of my computers it was on....

Yes, keeping up with CA is something of a full-time job, isn't it? I had no idea of the consequences of clicking the "Follow this topic" button;

post-20196-0-33793600-1539889350_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Its a dreadful waste of money. Our shareholders are pushing for carriages 7 feet wide and 30 feet long with no seating. Even roofs are seen as an unnecessary infringement on share dividends. The directors of the L&M in 1830 had the right idea.

- Board of Directors, WNR

So, you propose following the example of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and run 4th class carriages with no seating or roofs and just a handrail round the sides for passengers to hold on to? Or perhaps the latter would also be considered an extravagance?

Jim

• Like 6

So, you propose following the example of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and run 4th class carriages with no seating or roofs and just a handrail round the sides for passengers to hold on to? Or perhaps the latter would also be considered an extravagance?

Jim

5th class:  Allowed the use of a narrow cinder footpath alongside the railway, for a halfpenny per mile.

First

Second

Parliamentary

Parsimonious

Scrooge.

Small or Large, would you say?!?

Oh, Large, definitely....

Aargh. Beat me to it.

Aha, but small or large?

attachicon.gifsmall.jpg

attachicon.giflarge.jpg

Tsk, some clever devils ALWAYS need to bring Railway Locomotives into the discussion!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1