• RMweb Gold

I feel sorry for the OP. Qwilpen asked that this thread be about innovative engineering design, not the rights and wrongs of the Chord. Apparently there is much more interest in planning processes, democracy, pathing concerns at Pickyerwilly, anything but the intended aim of the thread.

I suggest he asks for his money back.

• RMweb Premium

Apart from the hell we will have whilst they do the work - those through platforms are very heavily used.  This will be our London Bridge redevelopment equivalent

True, but if it gives me something better in the long run (and heaven knows there's not much I think that about, so this is pretty unusual) it's worth the hassle. And I'd rather have the hassle go on longer for a better job in the long run.

Easy to say of course when I don't use it all that often (although I've got similar going on with the roads right now, and for something I'm merely ambivalent about).

Mike, I think that perhaps you have become accustomed to the French system with its more honourable demarcation between politics and business.

In Britain now (my town has had an example that's recently been in the National news) has had a serious issue of politics and business becoming a little too close. As a matter of fact a few years back medieval buildings were demolished at the behest of a developer.

Yet locally a couple bought a derelict former farm house and rebuilt it- because they used "common" roof truss design instead of Queen (Anne) truss- there was no original roof to copy- they were made to rebuild the whole lot, couldn't afford it and ended up having to give the house to one of the quangos (english heritage I believe) who then did SFA with it anyway.

If only it still worked in Britain the way you describe. I regret that I cannot comment more on your voting concept due to politics rules in this forum.

As for laws- I am all for following well drafted laws that apply equally to all. The problem is that they DON'T apply equally to all.

(Alleged) corruption is a different matter and the pages of Private Eye are full of such examples. France is no paragon. At least five mayors are in the dock at present for forcing through planning consents for wind farms on land that they just happened to own....

Anyway, back to the Ordsall Bends, which are not a commercial development.

True, but if it gives me something better in the long run (and heaven knows there's not much I think that about, so this is pretty unusual) it's worth the hassle. And I'd rather have the hassle go on longer for a better job in the long run.

Easy to say of course when I don't use it all that often (although I've got similar going on with the roads right now, and for something I'm merely ambivalent about).

If I want to travel to the South or get a train to Cumbria and not leave my car at Piccadilly then I use both Oxford Road and Piccadilly at least once a week.

Connection times are usually tight so it will only make it harder, I think the new Northern franchise will see the end of trains terminating at Oxford Rd which will help a bit and I guess the new viaduct should keep the original stuff intact for some time until they need to build the roof etc.

I don't doubt the work is needed and it will be very nice in a few years with air conditioned units on local services and shiny big stations to use.

• RMweb Premium

I feel sorry for the OP. Qwilpen asked that this thread be about innovative engineering design, not the rights and wrongs of the Chord. Apparently there is much more interest in planning processes, democracy, pathing concerns at Pickyerwilly, anything but the intended aim of the thread.

I suggest he asks for his money back.

Thanks for reminding everyone of what i asked for .

All if you can't play nicley and discuss the topic of design I will be asking for the thread to  be closed.

theres enough Carp going on without more rowing, and yes I know I made a spelling mistake

Steve

No thread OP survives it's first response especially if the topic has no bite to it.

It's a bridge and a nice one but the only reason it generates any debate is because it goes over an 1830s Liverpool and Manchester Bridge.  Otherwise it would have been built years ago, there would have been some progress pictures and by now we would have forgotten about it.  

It gets lots of coverage on other forums but generally because of the impact on the MOSI, the Stephenson Bridge and why Manchester thinks it deserves to join Piccadilly and Victoria stations.  The whole lot is interlinked and it is going to be very difficult I think to talk about just one single aspect without tipping into the others even if they are a little divisive.

The Bridge is part of the whole Northern Hub improvements, the benefits of which are wider than just the centre of Manchester so lets not just focus on one bridge in one part of Manchester.  If you leave the thread open then over the next couple of years it will be filled with pictures of it's development as well as that of Oxford Rd and Piccadilly.

The asymmetrical bow string design looks suitably impressive, and should fit in well with the general modernistic feel of the regeneration in Salford. I don't understand the need for the lower end of the support tube (I assume it is tubular??) at one end. A conventional design would have simply used a larger bow span and conventional supports, which equalises the stresses. Is there an engineering reason for this, or is it an aesthetic - any bridge engineers out there?

Also, despite the architect's impressions, it is still not entirely clear to me how the old Stephenson bridge fits underneath? It shows a walkway but the headroom looks far more limited than I expected. Does anyone know a link that show an elevation rather than plan?

No thread OP survives it's first response especially if the topic has no bite to it.

It's a bridge and a nice one but the only reason it generates any debate is because it goes over an 1830s Liverpool and Manchester Bridge.  Otherwise it would have been built years ago, there would have been some progress pictures and by now we would have forgotten about it.  

It gets lots of coverage on other forums but generally because of the impact on the MOSI, the Stephenson Bridge and why Manchester thinks it deserves to join Piccadilly and Victoria stations.  The whole lot is interlinked and it is going to be very difficult I think to talk about just one single aspect without tipping into the others even if they are a little divisive.

The Bridge is part of the whole Northern Hub improvements, the benefits of which are wider than just the centre of Manchester so lets not just focus on one bridge in one part of Manchester.  If you leave the thread open then over the next couple of years it will be filled with pictures of it's development as well as that of Oxford Rd and Piccadilly.

That's what the OP wants. Or you could start your own thread?

That's what the OP wants. Or you could start your own thread?

You're as guilty as me of going off the OP, I just don't think you can get a thread about the structure without some of the small politics that surrounds it or divorce it from the other works which also merit discussion because they will transform the through route, the Ordsall Curve is much more than a bridge..

You're as guilty as me of going off the OP, I just don't think you can get a thread about the structure without some of the small politics that surrounds it or divorce it from the other works which also merit discussion because they will transform the through route, the Ordsall Curve is much more than a bridge..

Guilty as charged, m'Lud! However, the OP has specifically asked that we refrain from the wider issues, and I think convention (rather than the shambles that usually transpires) dictates that we concur? You are right that this deserves wider consideration, so I suggest you kick off a new thread (as I do not have the current local knowledge that you presumably have - I only have my past experience, now some 12 years OOD on that patch and wot I read)?? My current knowledge is beginning to grow however, as my daughter lived in Leeds until very recently and now lives in the Calder Valley, so expect my ignorant interventions now and again.....

• 1 month later...

Archived