Churminster & Stowe Magna, Southern Railway

Tony Teague

• RMweb Gold

I'm pretty sure the 2nd and 3rd are K's kits. The firebox is a different shape to the ACE models one and the tender is a give away. K's never did the tender with open coal rails. 

There was also the Mallard models kit for a K class which was brass like the ACE models one 

Thanks Bill

I had no idea there was also a Mallard kit, but I must say that I had thought the ACE one was white metal - I'll have to go and have a look!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

In covering the Lord Nelsons, I had intended to include a picture of one of them in wartime black livery; I rather like these locos and I feel they look particularly good in black. The Bachmann model may be dated but to me it still portrays the massive nature of these locos well:

SJPP611000202180611.jpg.d92334a18d393db29c05f34fef47d8c8.jpg

No.859 'Lord Hood' - a Bachmann re-spray.

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Prices will probably drop further once the Hornby model comes out - but I agree with you - this one may be old but it is a good basis for improvement, and I don't think Bachman ever did produce the model that you describe.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Seemed a bit like Christmas here on Friday, with several parcels arriving from different directions!

First up was a loco kit that I had ordered from CSP / Agenoria Models for an obscure East Kent Railway loco that is currently missing from the collection - but they still have no news of the far more important but even more diminutive ex-LSWR C14 kit - one day perhaps!

Next, and certainly most exciting, was the arrival, fresh from DLT's workshop, of No.347 the ex-LSWR Drummond K10 which plugs a very important gap in the collection; many of you will have been following the complex build of this loco from an ancient and somewhat deficient kit on Dave / DLT's thread ( http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/2359-dlts-sr-locos/page-52&do=findComment&comment=3196202 ) where he has posted a number of pictures of the completed model.

I have already added a crew but have yet to fill the tender or add headcode discs, but here is this beautiful mode pulling a short test train - Set 45 - being a pair of the excellent Hornby Maunsell non-corridors - as it passes Stowe Magna Gasworks:

SJPP616000102180616.jpg.623d01b30e63d8bfab9ccf182bb1b0c7.jpg

Later she crosses Churminster Junction to approach Churminster Station:

SJPP616004402180616.jpg.9745e111d70ce134f53acb7419244f67.jpg

Where she pauses to change crew, having run impeccably throughout:

322509812_SJP2018-06-1712-07-25(BRadius8Smoothing4)02180616.jpg.623337483549b1f3d70ad5d56fb976c0.jpg

A big thanks to Dave for turning a sow's ear of a kit into a silk purse of a model!

Of the final two of four parcels arriving that day, the first contained a South East Finecast chassis kit for an ex-LBSCR E5, whilst the last came from Shapeways and contained a 3D printed body for an E5X - one of my "missing" locos!

SJPP614000802180614.jpg.40754104cdb79083e5110191cedf34fb.jpg

I have been in touch with 'Javier' during the development of the 3D model, and who will now be offering it via his Shapeways shop at https://www.shapeways.com/product/567J28HNV/full-space-lbscr-e5-x-body-shell-oo-and-ho?optionId=65671354&li=user-profile

I have checked all of the key dimensions and feel that it should make up to a good model; here it is sitting loosely (and too high) on the chassis from an existing E5:

SJPP614001102180614.jpg.fcb0749c71d85ce51d3d1d1cd7d461d7.jpg

and shown for comparison against the E5 model:

SJPP614001002180614.jpg.17f3131219d5b10454ac2f4e39af8522.jpg

The chassis will need some adjustment so as to get the body riding at the right height; the print includes some key parts that are sitting inside the main bodyshell:

SJPP614001302180614.jpg.c99eefa58fda2f297c6e247f7af08382.jpg

I am looking forward to working on this model and will report progress in future.

Together with the delivery of the K10, this updates my "missing" list (A-L only so far!) as follows:

SECR Wainwright B1    (16)
LB&SCR Billinton B4X   (12)
LB&SCR Marsh C3        (8)
LSWR Drummond C14  (3) - potential solution = CSP / Agenoria kit announced years ago but yet to be delivered
LB&SCR Marsh D3X      (1)
LB&SCR Billinton E4X    (4)
LB&SCR Billinton E5X    (4) - 3D printed body + SEF chassis kit held for assembly
LB&SCR Billinton E6X    (2)
SECR Wainwright F1      (9) - solution = Jidenco kit held but not yet in build
SR Maunsell I1X             (18)
LSWR Drummond L12   (20) - solved, 3D printed, etched & cast by Arun Sharma, now in build on Hornby RTR chassis

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tony,

That's good news, the K10 looks very much "at home" on Churminster, and I'm relieved to hear that she's running ok.  How is the pulling power?

I like the look of the E5X, I got to know this loco quite intimately while I was building one.  There were only four of them, and they were all different!

All the best, Dave.

• Like 1

I agree with DLT, that K10 looks fantastic,and very much at home. 

Exciting news about the E5x! Did you consider getting it in the more finely printed detail option?

Looking forward to see it progressing

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony,

That's good news, the K10 looks very much "at home" on Churminster, and I'm relieved to hear that she's running ok.  How is the pulling power?

I like the look of the E5X, I got to know this loco quite intimately while I was building one.  There were only four of them, and they were all different!

All the best, Dave.

Hi Dave

Will test & report on pulling power later - I take it you mean coaches & wagons & not "the ladies"!

I agree with DLT, that K10 looks fantastic,and very much at home. 

Exciting news about the E5x! Did you consider getting it in the more finely printed detail option?

Looking forward to see it progressing

Hi Jack

Yes I looked at the higher grade print, but at the time the designer was not completely confident that he had got everything right - and so I took the safer / cheaper option. I will see how the body "scrubs up" and if it looks too rough but is right in other respects, then I'll re-order and put this one down to experience.

Tony

• Like 3

Hi Dave

Will test & report on pulling power later - I take it you mean coaches & wagons & not "the ladies"!

Hi Jack

Yes I looked at the higher grade print, but at the time the designer was not completely confident that he had got everything right - and so I took the safer / cheaper option. I will see how the body "scrubs up" and if it looks too rough but is right in other respects, then I'll re-order and put this one down to experience.

Tony

Hello there! This is The designer!

I can confirm that I was unsure about how it would print in a higher detail plastic, I am however almost finished making patches to the design that will allow for better detail plastic prints. The only thing stopping me now is finding time to finalize everything: Im putting myself through college studies right bow, and its a right pain!

Im elated to see the print on the body Tony! Thank you so much for trying it out! I May make adjustments to the model to help how it looks aesthetically. I will raise the height of the piston block slightly, thus diminishing the size of the saddle: The E5-X has an iconic saddle look that im not satisfied woth the look as it is now. I also want to make those splashers right. Im glad they seem to fit there, but I want to make sure they fit just right, if theres anything you want me to do to fix this please let me know.

As for everything else I do plan to have the E6-X ready by the end of this week as well! At that time I will also release the other three versions I have of the E5-X: including the double domed version. Im thinking I may release a LBSC version for the locos, this mainly centers small details such as dome shape and other bits and pieces. There is one detail on all of them I am investigating, it appears in LBSC versions there are a total of seven washout plugs on the firebox, though in later versions there appears to only be four. Ill have to do some snooping to see if they were removed or not, or this is an error by me.

In the mean time I hope you enjoy the model Tony! You have a fantastic collection of locos there, and im glad to have been able to contributed to it!

Happy modeling!

~Javier

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for joining the discussion Javier and for your enthusiasm!

I shall certainly be at the head of the queue for an E6X, and just between ourselves, I already bought a South Eastern Finecast E6 chassis to fit it!

I'll also feed back to you on any issues with the body - chassis fit, and thanks again for producing this.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

OK, a quick update on layout progress - after all that is what this thread is supposed to be about!

Churminster Goods Shed is now all but finished; it needs a little more embedding into the landscape, the crane needs further painting, a load, and the installation of a servo, plus the shed has lights inside which are yet to be connected, but otherwise it is pretty much there:

SJPP616004902180616.jpg.f59ce156e10ff93838bc77dd3f8fdeaa.jpg

SJPP616004702180616.jpg.1bb5ac173bba2f1c81e0b8ae5f6109c5.jpg

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Thought you might be interested in this photo of an E5x, recently uploaded by Mr Mike Morant - his albums are invaluable!

Click here

Interesting, I don't know when 401 received its two-dome boiler, it certainly had it in BR days.  The few photos that I've seen in SR livery show a single dome.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Thought you might be interested in this photo of an E5x, recently uploaded by Mr Mike Morant - his albums are invaluable!

Click here

Thanks Jack - useful picture.

Interesting, I don't know when 401 received its two-dome boiler, it certainly had it in BR days.  The few photos that I've seen in SR livery show a single dome.

Cheers, Dave.

Dave

Locomotives Illustrated has two pics of 401 - with a single dome in LBSCR livery, and then with two and a short chimney on 14th April 1949; it is a shame that the Mike Morant pic has no date - but I think that the solution for me will be to avoid no.2401 for fear that I get it wrong! If I could find my copy of Bradley, then I might be able to come up with a more definitive answer!

Tony

• Like 2

According to Bradley, E5X (32)401 received a double-domed boiler, first fitted to C3 No. 304, in August 1949 which it carried through to withdrawal in July 1954.

As for the E6X, (32)411 received one originally fitted to C2X 545 in February 1951 which it carried to December 1952, whilst (2)407 had one, originally installed on B2X No. 319, from September 1945 up to February 1952.

There are photos of 32401 and 2407 in this condition in the RCTS book.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

According to Bradley, E5X (32)401 received a double-domed boiler, first fitted to C3 No. 304, in August 1949 which it carried through to withdrawal in July 1954.

As for the E6X, (32)411 received one originally fitted to C2X 545 in February 1951 which it carried to December 1952, whilst (2)407 had one, originally installed on B2X No. 319, from September 1945 up to February 1952.

There are photos of 32401 and 2407 in this condition in the RCTS book.

Thanks Nick - given that I model 1938 - 1948 I think that means that the only ones fitted with a double dome that would be right for me would be 407 and 411 - but I shall stick to a single dome which will be right for all four E5X's until 1945.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

OK, back to the A-Z and on with "M" and to the humble ex-LSWR Drummond M7; the current Hornby model is really pretty good, with both long and short-framed varieties in multiple liveries:

SJPP611003502180611.jpg.a6a7f424af2416b2ca4026a60a79d881.jpg

Nos 242 & 249 are both short-framed and in malachite & wartime black respectively

SJPP611002702180611.jpg.cff01cc32b8bc7b14445399e345362e9.jpg

An SEFinecast kit is also available, represented here by long-framed No.28 and short-framed no.251:

SJPP611000602180611.jpg.61a90b05290d28501cc3c5bd5536fb63.jpg

I'd have to say that lined olive is my favourite livery for these locos!

On now to Bulleid's MN Merchant Navy class - incidentally I somehow missed out the Battle of Britain class under "B" and so we will have to pick them up under "W" for West Country!

Nos. 21C1 'Channel Packet', and 21C3 'Royal Mail' are the only two Merchant Navy locos issued so far in SR livery by Hornby from their new tooling - and very fine models they are!

SJPP611004202180611.jpg.4ab4c894459826a76b97e30cb5d608b0.jpg

SJPP611003902180611.jpg.90e78061e9bc112817c18ab8c1f39192.jpg

No.21C18 'Orient Line' is from a PDK kit - an equally fine model:

SJPP611002802180611.jpg.89dddc958d7db99bb27e28752532dc5f.jpg

And that completes the letter "M" at which point we are half way through our A-Z of Southern Locomotives - so still a few to go!

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 11

A terrific collection you've got there. Usually not my kind of thread, but I can't help but keep an eye on a parade of Southern power.

I do have to point out that the wartime black with sunshine lettering is actually the finest paint scheme for every loco that ever carried it. Looks wonderful on top of a set of green coaches... :)

• RMweb Premium

A terrific collection you've got there. Usually not my kind of thread, but I can't help but keep an eye on a parade of Southern power.

I do have to point out that the wartime black with sunshine lettering is actually the finest paint scheme for every loco that ever carried it. Looks wonderful on top of a set of green coaches... :)

Why didn't they paint the coaches black as well?

Hat, coat, etc.

Tony,

Forgive me for asking here but the collective following might be able to answer for me, Which was the last LBSC K class lose it's Brighton cabs? E.g as below

post-14629-0-02351700-1528717094_thumb.j

The usual ports of call haven't been able to answer for me, sadly.

Edited by Jack P

• RMweb Premium

Drummond also developed an L12 - a further T9 variant with a larger boiler but sitting on an identical chassis and wheel arrangement to the T9; no kit or RTR model is known to exist for this class, and so after some time with this sitting on my "missing" list, I managed to persuade my good friend Arun Sharma to draw and 3D print a body with the idea that this would then sit on a donor Hornby T9 chassis:

We then decided that this would not be heavy enough and that it would be improved by etching the footplate, cabsides etc, and casting the boiler, firebox and smokebox in white metal - all of which Arun then undertook; after a couple of false starts, and with the help of another RM Webber, the build is now making good progress and I will report further in due course.

I am the RMWebber that Tony mentioned above, and he's asked me to report on progress on here... so here goes.

When I visited Tony a couple of weeks ago, he showed me the progress, but the white metal boiler was looking distinctly ovoid. He was talking of starting from scratch with brass tube for the boiler but I do like the weight that a white metal boiler provides and the casting was good apart from the ovoid problem, so suggested that it could be rescued with some heavy duty soldering. Anyway, one thing led to another and I volunteered to have a go. Sadly I didn't take a photo of the boiler before I started, but this picture shows the extent of filling required. I solder a brass strip along the inside, and then filled the gap with low melt solder.

post-19760-0-10352600-1529480525_thumb.jpg

post-19760-0-90430800-1529480676_thumb.jpg

It seems to have produced a boiler which looks round, and now measures the same vertically and horizontally (it was 2mm different originally). I then did the same for the smokebox, producing a nicely weighty boiler to sit on the brass footplates.

post-19760-0-24289500-1529480793_thumb.jpg

I have now attached this combo to the footplate and added the smokebox door which is the acid test of whether it's truly round. I'd be grateful for any comments on what I've done so far, in particular any obvious errors, before I continue dressing the boiler.

post-19760-0-96838300-1529480944.jpg

post-19760-0-47346300-1529480919.jpg

Tony, Are the L12 pictures you leant me subject to copyright? If not it would be useful to post one or two, so that the non aficionado knows what it's supposed to look like - being an LNER man, I'm ashamed to say that I'd never heard of an L12!

Regards

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking like good progress with the L12.  Might this lead on to a kit being available?

One point, the cab doesnt look right to me.  The L12 cab was higher than the T9's, and presumably the cab floor was as well, so that the crew could see over the firebox.

There are some good photos on this page:  http://1920slocomotives.blogspot.com/  a little way down are two L12s, followed by a T9, and the contrast can be seen.  

Hope this helps,

Dave.

Looking like good progress with the L12.  Might this lead on to a kit being available?

One point, the cab doesnt look right to me.  The L12 cab was higher than the T9's, and presumably the cab floor was as well, so that the crew could see over the firebox.

There are some good photos on this page:  http://1920slocomotives.blogspot.com/  a little way down are two L12s, followed by a T9, and the contrast can be seen.  

Hope this helps,

Dave.

the L12 cab should be around 7" higher than the T9 to the eaves. The centre line of the L12 boiler should be 8'6" from rail level as opposed to a c/l of 7' 9" for the T9. Hope this helps.i think the boiler may possibly be a little high

• RMweb Gold

Tony,

Forgive me for asking here but the collective following might be able to answer for me, Which was the last LBSC K class lose it's Brighton cabs? E.g as below

post-14629-0-02351700-1528717094_thumb.j

The usual ports of call haven't been able to answer for me, sadly.

Hi Jack

As mentioned in posr #203, "having ... consulted...Locomotives Illustrated...all of the original cab roofs were changed by 1938"; it also says that all 17 of the class were altered between 1935 and 1939, however, it does not give dates for each loco. Perhaps Bradley might help - if I could find it!

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Tony, Are the L12 pictures you leant me subject to copyright? If not it would be useful to post one or two, so that the non aficionado knows what it's supposed to look like - being an LNER man, I'm ashamed to say that I'd never heard of an L12!

Regards

Andy

Andy

Regret yes, these pictures are copyright, but I think that DLT has provided a link to some others.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

Dave

There is no intention to make a kit available although Arun who produced the etches and castings for me has said that he has a small number of sets of parts which he may be prepared to make available to interested parties.

I agree that the cab does not look right, however, the etches are not from a T9, they were drawn specifically from L12 drawings and so I suspect that as Denbridge has pointed out, the boiler maybe sitting too high. I will work with Andy to check all of the key dimensions before we go any further.

Tony

• Like 1

Andy

Regret yes, these pictures are copyright, but I think that DLT has provided a link to some others.

Dave

There is no intention to make a kit available although Arun who produced the etches and castings for me has said that he has a small number of sets of parts which he may be prepared to make available to interested parties.

I agree that the cab does not look right, however, the etches are not from a T9, they were drawn specifically from L12 drawings and so I suspect that as Denbridge has pointed out, the boiler maybe sitting too high. I will work with Andy to check all of the key dimensions before we go any further.

Tony

the D12 cab is higher than the T9 from the info i have. See my previous post