Churminster & Stowe Magna, Southern Railway

Tony Teague

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

Thanks again for your hospitality yesterday. I enjoyed seeing Churminster & Stowe Magna again. Your ‘NASA spaceship ‘ control desk is truly awe inspiring and I’d forgotten how good the trains look disappearing into the distance past your wonderful signals.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Andy

Thanks

A great pleasure to have you here and I'm only sorry that the train set did not behave at all times! - Sod's Law.

The good thing is that as the more major works get ticked off, it will allow time for snagging faults and issues that have accumulated over the many years that the layout has been in build.

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

A few derailments are not a problem. They make me feel less bad about my own layout and allow me to be useful as your gofor!

It always seems worse when it’s your own layout.

Andy

Edited by thegreenhowards
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

At long last, construction of Tony's Arum Sharma C3 kit is getting started.  It will be detailed on my own topic, but I need to ask a couple of questions here first.

Firstly, does anyone know what the cab interior looked like?  Its going to be very similar to the C2X, as they had the same boiler.  I have several drawings, but nothing shows the cab.

The angle and position of the reversing rod indicates screw-reverse rather than the C2X lever type, so what does a Brighton Screw-Reverser look like?  And does a manufacturer provide one? 

Likewise I haven't so far located suitable buffers.  In late SR days they had a long narrow tapered shape buffer with a square base.  Any suggestions please?

You would be right in surmising that my knowledge of Brighton locos is limited, as is my reference material.  I'm more of a South Western man.

I don't know if Tony wants his topic cluttered with such discussions, so please PM me if you prefer.

Thanks very much,

Dave.T

• RMweb Gold

Dave

I am of course delighted that construction of the C3 is underway - and I'd be equally happy if my thread were 'cluttered' with the sort of discussion you have requested; I'm unfortunately not able to answer your questions myself and so I am hopeful that others more knowledgaeble than I will have something to say!

Thanks for what you are undertaking.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A short update today to cover further scenic progress on the Churminster cutting.

When last shown in early March it was simply looking a dirty brown colour, but since then it has had a couple of visits from my friend Steve Povey, the 'grassmeister'; after several layers involving many different lengths & shades of grass, this is where it has got to - looking south:

SJP_422001704240422.jpg.9a1c01d91b78ffc9bd9bab3dc2bf1f88.jpg

At the far end / bottom of the incline, I am now committed to a re-build of the 'chalk' cutting face which I think will improve things and so this area has not been touched.

There are some bigger, shrubby things still to be added but there is already a massive improvement; looking north:

SJP_422001403240422.jpg.6e48598a4df06e05fc9aed2f0d7b1de5.jpg

The bridge at the top of the incline did cause a couple of problems - in that, although it is removable, Steve managed to glue it in place.................

After much cursing I managed to extract it unscathed 🤬

Meanwhile there has also been more progress on the semaphore signals.....................

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Road overbridges can be a problem. To fix or not to fix! If all goes to plan I will need to face that problem this summer.

Yes, in this case it crosses over two narrow gauge and the twin standard gauge tracks and would have been easier to construct as a fixed installation, however, the decider was that there is wiring underneath it that just might need to be accessed - so that determined that it must be removable.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Whilst Steve has been grassing away to his heart's content, there has also been progress elsewhere.

Sinkholes seem to be a current fad and as my layout is supposed to mimic reality, it came as no surprise that one had appeared under Stow Magna goods yard - well it could just be subsidence; you can see the result here:

SJP2020-10-1015-24-25(BRadius8Smoothing4)02201010.jpg.ef2cd78d321a02a0a5007f809e49ed76.jpg

It is actually the result of a baseboard construction fault, in that the left hand board has a leg under it, whilst the right hand one was simply screwed to the left one and whatever was used has slipped over the 15+ years since they were made (not by me I hasten to add!).

With Giles' help we put in an extra support, and with the careful use of an Irish screwdriver (hammer) we persuaded the right hand board upwards:

SJP_421000102240421.jpg.f9d4c028b15f53ba1af72661cfcc61b7.jpg

Sadly, the cork underlay, ballast and the track itself did not appreciate this degree of adjustment and so I have since had to take more radical action, this time involving the use of a Dremel & cutting disc:

SJP_421000203240421.jpg.185cb0748cc0f62dc53c3776275f022b.jpg

On a brighter note, it appeared that only the front reception siding was seriously affected & requiring replacement:

SJP_423000305240423.jpg.0315dea26d83310686143bb53798501f.jpg

(Now looks bowed upwards but it isn't); fishplates soldered in place & electrical continuity tested

SJP_423000406240423.jpg.4f9cdd05f57347e5a5b022671702226a.jpg

Ballasted, only some serious weathering now needed before traffic can resume!

Meanwhile, on the recent arrival of the excellent Accurascle banana vans I may have mentioned that in my drawer-full of unmade kits there were two Parkside GWR banans vans & so I prioritsed their building so as to give the train a bit more length:

SJP_423000502240423.jpg.3364aea2797e017d24eb020553e4eee2.jpg

They will get some weathering with the rest of the train, which now at 16 vans has reached a reasonably acceptable length; I'll post another pic when these are back in the consist.

Tony

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, manna said:

Could have put it down to 'Bomb' damage, circa 1940.

Indeed it could - especially as the nearby Stowe Magna locoshed had also suffered bomb damage as reported back in about 2018, when it's entire west wall was demolished:

SJPDsc_315502151116.jpg.a2b4f9f973c6e5a317e0b5f9b1c91502.jpg

Locally, however, this is referred to as 'bum damage' as it was the result of an impact with a large ar$e - subsequently perspex screens were installed along this strtch to protect the layout and its buildings from such incursions!

Tony

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

On 23/04/2024 at 19:32, Tony Teague said:

Whilst Steve has been grassing away to his heart's content, there has also been progress elsewhere.

Sinkholes seem to be a current fad and as my layout is supposed to mimic reality, it came as no surprise that one had appeared under Stow Magna goods yard - well it could just be subsidence; you can see the result here:

SJP2020-10-1015-24-25(BRadius8Smoothing4)02201010.jpg.ef2cd78d321a02a0a5007f809e49ed76.jpg

It is actually the result of a baseboard construction fault, in that the left hand board has a leg under it, whilst the right hand one was simply screwed to the left one and whatever was used has slipped over the 15+ years since they were made (not by me I hasten to add!).

With Giles' help we put in an extra support, and with the careful use of an Irish screwdriver (hammer) we persuaded the right hand board upwards:

SJP_421000102240421.jpg.f9d4c028b15f53ba1af72661cfcc61b7.jpg

Sadly, the cork underlay, ballast and the track itself did not appreciate this degree of adjustment and so I have since had to take more radical action, this time involving the use of a Dremel & cutting disc:

SJP_421000203240421.jpg.185cb0748cc0f62dc53c3776275f022b.jpg

On a brighter note, it appeared that only the front reception siding was seriously affected & requiring replacement:

SJP_423000305240423.jpg.0315dea26d83310686143bb53798501f.jpg

(Now looks bowed upwards but it isn't); fishplates soldered in place & electrical continuity tested

SJP_423000406240423.jpg.4f9cdd05f57347e5a5b022671702226a.jpg

Ballasted, only some serious weathering now needed before traffic can resume!

Meanwhile, on the recent arrival of the excellent Accurascle banana vans I may have mentioned that in my drawer-full of unmade kits there were two Parkside GWR banans vans & so I prioritsed their building so as to give the train a bit more length:

SJP_423000502240423.jpg.3364aea2797e017d24eb020553e4eee2.jpg

They will get some weathering with the rest of the train, which now at 16 vans has reached a reasonably acceptable length; I'll post another pic when these are back in the consist.

Tony

Hello Tony

Small point.  GWR Bananas had a white disc.  The yellow spot was a BR innovation which only came in after steam heating Banana vans was discontinued from around 1959, I think.

Loved the coaching stock 'series' by the way.

Chris Knowles-Thomas  

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, chris45lsw said:

Small point.  GWR Bananas had a white disc.  The yellow spot was a BR innovation which only came in after steam heating Banana vans was discontinued from around 1959, I think.

Thanks Chris

I followed the instructions with the kit in decorating it - which are quite specific about the yellow spot; I did wonder because the recently issued Rapido van (of which I have one, illustrated on the page before this, has a white disc - so I felt that one of us would be wrong!

Glad you like the coach series; there are a small number left to post when I get around to finding and photographing them.

Tony

• Like 1