Model Rail 228 November 2016

Butler Henderson

Found stuck in letter box today

First Review - Dapol N A4 with valances, Heljan O Class 25, Revolution N TEA

Model of the Month Dapol N Class 33  (87% rating)

Reviews - Peco 009 L&B Bogie Open, Knowle Wagon Works Bearing Tool (OO/EM/P4)

Layouts - St Ruth BR(WR) 2mmFS, Crawton BR(ScR 1970s-1980s) OO

Feature - Trains near water "Smoke and Water", Class 47, Watermills

Paul A Lunn trackplans - "Building Butlin's"

Workbench -Part 7 of Chris Leighs Cornish Coastal Layout - Build a Harbour, Revell N North Sea Fishing Trawler (and a harbour), weathering intermodal containers, pond, stream, stone setts, dockside water, DCC power bus

Part 2 of Liveries of BR 1948-1964 - Steam freight locos, Diesels and Electrics inc Units

Looks like a great issue although I've not had much time this evening to look through much of it. I'm particularly enjoying the development of Chris' Cornish harbour layout so I had to turn to that section first.

Did anyone else notice that the downloadable trawler kit is available until 31st February? Looks like an interesting kit though.

Downloaded and stored for future use... also forwarded to work e-mail for printing on their posh laser printer ☺

Leafing through it looks an excellent issue with a big competition and lots of goodies to be won.

My only negative is that the opening comment is once again about price rises. I think everyone in the hobby knows they are here to stay now and it does feel a bit like being told off by your mum every time you open a model railway magazine - not just model rail.

• RMweb Premium

Oh and let me guess.........I take it they are defending price rises?

Only here to stay if you accept them . Quite interesting some companies can bring out mk3 s at £35 but others have to charge £55 for their new range of coaches. Even with 15% increases , I reckon Hornby Colletts still around £45 . Does suggest some latitude in pricing don't you think?

That beach looks very convincing chris. The waves are particularly effective.

I think they probably look more effective in the photo than in real life. You expect them to be static in a picture but when you actually see them the lack of movement detracts. Nevertheless I'm pleased that they look so good. Very simple and quick to do - strips of aquarium filter wool, glued in place with PVA and then stippled down with Ronseal acrylic varnish. It dries with that slightly yellow look which looks like the sand whipped up in the water. In the past, I've used clear resin but the Ronseal doesn't smell and stays where you put it! (CJL)

Very good issue, and noone has grumbled about it not being all about trains! 

I wonder how many will now buy that lighthouse. I have just ordered one. Had been wanting one before but had forgotten about that shop.

Very impressed with Gavin Rose's Trinity Dock Street . He mentioned to me that the wagon turntables were I think 15ft, so I did some research, found that size was common up north, so did a version in my 3D printed range. It is also much easier shunting wagons on and off the slifghtly longer version, especially with free running wheels! Unfortunately Shapeways threw a wobbly when Gavin tried to order one and I had to apply a fix to every one of my turntable designs, just in case.

That bridge is very tempting, as is doing the complete area of stone setts using 3D printing and some laser cut sheets(Inthegreenwood) for large non rail areas. There is also an excellent brown filler available in Wilkinsons, sold as wood filler, but not solvent based so does not react with plastic, and is very tough.

That Revell trawer kit has been around for quite a few years, and I think I can use the hull to create a larger scale boat. Itis worth while checking online as I was recommended looking at some resin boats and accessories which are on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Model-railway-Small-fishing-boat-Scottish-MFV-1-72-scale-/222273263130?hash=item33c084d61a:g:DPsAAOSwYmZXJisj

For my water effect, I use a water based glue called IGLU(not sure on spelling ) , which is vaguely green and feels more like the old Gloy type paper glue.

Not sure if it is still available(from school suppliers) but I bought a job lot for a project. We found it was not so good for paper models, but has that nice murcky green tinge of pond/river water.

As it says in one of the articles, make sure everything is sealed , otherwise you come down next day  and find it has all disappeared.. It does not smell, and is safe indoors and was sold as an eco friendly product.

Got my lighthouse today. Smaller than I thought, but that is a big bonus as it will fit in one of my boxfile lid layouts. Another project on the list(getting longer).

For my water effect, I use a water based glue called IGLU(not sure on spelling ) , which is vaguely green and feels more like the old Gloy type paper glue.

Not sure if it is still available(from school suppliers) but I bought a job lot for a project. We found it was not so good for paper models, but has that nice murcky green tinge of pond/river water.

As it says in one of the articles, make sure everything is sealed , otherwise you come down next day  and find it has all disappeared.. It does not smell, and is safe indoors and was sold as an eco friendly product.

Got my lighthouse today. Smaller than I thought, but that is a big bonus as it will fit in one of my boxfile lid layouts. Another project on the list(getting longer).

Yes, it was smaller than I expected, too. It's way undersized even for 'HO' but when you reduce the height overall and put outside access rails on it, the proportions come good. (CJL)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking at the Water Mills article. (Alan Downes).

Photo 3 looks very real, but the outside bearing pedastal doesn't line up with the (Ball Point Pen) Axle. This jars somewhat, as the engineering is off.

There is a Mill (Bate's Mill) near Beeston Castle (Cheshire) that looks a little like the main photo, as the wheel is internal...

The mill pond is on the other side of the lane from the mill. (Fed from the River Gowy further up stream.)

The Gowy has/ had a lot of Mills...

http://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/pages/river_gowy.htm

Bunbury Mill (Museum)

http://www.bunburymill.com/

The link is on Scalescenes website, and leads to a "protected" page.

It certainly worked for me...

You will need the link in the mag, and then you will need to enter the "Passcode", also printed in the mag.

Then you will need to select OO, N, or even both gauges.

Then you need to add the item (s) to your "Cart". (The price is £0.00)

Then you will need to enter an Email address, so that the download link can be sent to you by Scalescenes (They do other Free downloads as well, by the way...).

Scalescenes will send a link to your supplied Email adddress...then you will need to download the files (Zip Files....).

The fies wiil need unzipping (I haven't done this part yet! ;) ), and printing, etc....

Archived