Dinting Railway Centre

bennyboy

I've just bought the Bachmann Brick Servicing Depot which seems to be based on the Dinting shed and it has inspired me to build a small diorama based on the Railway Centre as it was in the 80s when I used to occasionally visit it. So I'm just trying to compile a list of the long term exhibits and so far my research has come up will the following.

Bahamas 5596 Jubilee 4-6-0 (Now on the Battlefield Line)

Leander 5690 Jubilee 4-6-0 (Now at Carnforth)

J94 Warrington WD 150 0-6-0 (Now at Peak Rail as Royal Pioneer)

Barclay 0-4-0 2258 Tiny (Now at KWVR)

GCR 8K 2-8-0 63601 (Un-restored) (Now at GCR)

LNWR Webb Tank 0-6-2 1054 ( (Now at KWVR)

Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0 1704 Nunlow (Now at KWVR)

Baguley Cars/McEwan Pratt 'Jacob' 0-4-0 680 (Now at Beamish)

Crane Tank 'Southwick' 7069 (Now at KWVR)

Avonside RS8 0-4-0 Shunter (Diesel Conversion) (Currently being rebuilt by Andrew Briddon)

SR Queen Mary Brake Van 56287 (Now at Bluebell Rly)

Cravens Steam Crane (Now at KWVR???)

I know that they also had some famous guest locos such as Sir Nigel Gresley and Blue Peter, but are there any long term exhibits that I've missed off my list, especially any of the coaches, wagons or other oddball items?

I've just bought the Bachmann Brick Servicing Depot which seems to be based on the Dinting shed and it has inspired me to build a small diorama based on the Railway Centre as it was in the 80s when I used to occasionally visit it. So I'm just trying to compile a list of the long term exhibits and so far my research has come up will the following.

Avonside RS8 0-4-0 Shunter (Diesel Conversion) (Currently being rebuilt by Andrew Briddon)

I know that they also had some famous guest locos such as Sir Nigel Gresley and Blue Peter, but are there any long term exhibits that I've missed off my list, especially any of the coaches, wagons or other oddball items?

I think the BLS might be confused at this. 45596 is most definitely a KWVR engine. The loco itself is at Tyseley being overhauled. 63601 isnt "Un-restored" more of boiler ticket awaiting a decision on its future.

Not only is the shed based on Dinting, the rear add on lean to shed (also made by Bachmann) is pure Dinting also. Shown here.

285462904_4a12bb6aa7_z.jpg?zz=1

I visited Dinting twice back in the early 80's. pity it closed it was a good museum. As far as I know the site is still undeveloped and the shed still there. Can anyone confirm ? Not been there since around 2003.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO

The Dinting site was sold not so long ago for only £150k including shed but the new owners can't get planning permission for houses on the site so it's back in limbo yet again

Edited by 25901
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Dinting site was sold not so long ago for only £150k including shed but the new owners can't get planning permission for houses on the site so it's back in limbo yet again

Can't imagine it would be a great place to live so close to the glosop line with units squealing round the curve

• RMweb Gold

I seem to remember that was unable bit of a state too

Was 79 when I went on a NELPG charter from Middlesbrough

I'm not sure now but I seem to remember it in undercoat for ages...

My Great Uncle Harold was caretaker there for years and we visited him often in his caravan by the short running line.

He used to supply us with fresh rabbits which my father would roust and then make butties for us. Many a time I would spit out the pellets at collage to "ewes" and such...

Kev.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You might find these photos of mine (and some of Dad's) of interest, they are in one of my flickr albums at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/albums/72157626296112494

They date from the late 60s/early 70s.

The photos are also scattered in my RMWeb colour photo thread, the link is in my signature.

Plus these 3 which are not (yet) on my flickr site or RMWeb.

post-5613-0-36938300-1484519046_thumb.jpg

Dinting Stephenson and Hawthorn crane tank Southwick May 72 C0920

post-5613-0-44544100-1484519038_thumb.jpg

Dinting Royal Scot 6115 Scots Guardsman May 72 C0923

post-5613-0-98357200-1484519052_thumb.jpg

Dinting viaduct Class 506 Manchester Piccadilly to Hadfield May 72 C925

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Coach wise there was a L&YR Medical Saloon from Holyhead which went to the SVR and a Mk1 BSK. I did some loco cleaning there in my youth, including Leander. There was a tram loco but it was derelict.

Dava

• RMweb Gold

I think the BLS might be confused at this. 45596 is most definitely a KWVR engine. The loco itself is at Tyseley being overhauled. 63601 isnt "Un-restored" more of boiler ticket awaiting a decision on its future.

45596 Bahamas was indeed at Dinting at one time and is now based on the  KWVR.  It is of course listed in the ARPS Year Book and Steam Guide for 1974, as are the ones below.  Remember that Dinting was the headquarters of the Bahamas Locomotive Society for many years.

The Beyer Peacock 0-4-0VB tram engine was also there.

Also on site was an ex BR Mk 1 BSK No 34460 along with an MSCR open wagon 6115 (not sure what those initials stand for).

SR Schools Class 30925 was also there  from 1972 for some time.

Edit:

Railways Restored 1980 Edition (Ian Allan) also lists :

LNER A2 532 Blue Peter

LNER A4 19 Bittern

Second edit

The 1982 book "Steam 82" (Allen and Unwin)adds the locos below to the list:

LNWR 2-4-0 790 Hardwicke (on loan from the National Collection).

LMSR Medical officers saloon 45017 built 1923

SR bogie brake van S56287 built 1936

BR brake van B950690 built 1950

LNER(design) Thompson Brake 3rd corridor coach E1866 built 1950

David

Edited by DaveF

I used to visit it regularly in the late 1970s /early 1980s.

Add EM1 26020 http://www.pittdixon.go-plus.net/woodhead-ry/woodhead-ry.htm

Bahamas, Blue Peter, Bittern and Scots Guardsman were always immaculate at one point. That's when they were stored in the exhibition hall rather than left outside.

The two National Collection locomotives at the time were still in ex BR condition. 30925 was quickly restored for Rocket 150 and returned later for a while. 63601 disappeared elsewhere around about the same time.

There was quite a lot of railtour engines that turned up, particularly around the time of Rocket 150. Flying Scotsman, Sir Nigel Gresley, Green Arrow, Lion, 1000, 13809 and Clan Line (ISTR but may be mistaken with that one). Always good having a brake van ride with a big mainline loco, something that doesn't really happen now.

Pity it all came to an end due to petty arguments.

Jason

• Like 1

When I put unrestored I was referring to it's time at Dinting as I don't think the restoration was completed while it was there.

Not only is the shed based on Dinting, the rear add on lean to shed (also made by Bachmann) is pure Dinting also. Shown here.

285462904_4a12bb6aa7_z.jpg?zz=1

I visited Dinting twice back in the early 80's. pity it closed it was a good museum. As far as I know the site is still undeveloped and the shed still there. Can anyone confirm ? Not been there since around 2003.

Brit15

Thanks, I was wondering if the lean to shed was also part of the Dinting Shed as I couldn't remember. Unfortunately as I only have a narrow shelf to build the diorama I'm going to have to do without it. And the shed is still there which I guess is why Bachmann decided to make a model of it. I posted a few pictures of it here from 2011.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64602-dinting-station-image-heavy/

45596 Bahamas was indeed at Dinting at one time and is now based on the  KWVR.  It is of course listed in the ARPS Year Book and Steam Guide for 1974, as are the ones below.  Remember that Dinting was the headquarters of the Bahamas Locomotive Society for many years.

The Beyer Peacock 0-4-0VB tram engine was also there.

Also on site was an ex BR Mk 1 BSK No 34460 along with an MSCR open wagon 6115 (not sure what those initials stand for).

SR Schools Class 30925 was also there  from 1972 for some time.

Edit:

Railways Restored 1980 Edition (Ian Allan) also lists :

LNER A2 532 Blue Peter

LNER A4 19 Bittern

Second edit

The 1982 book "Steam 82" (Allen and Unwin)adds the locos below to the list:

LNWR 2-4-0 790 Hardwicke (on loan from the National Collection).

LMSR Medical officers saloon 45017 built 1923

SR bogie brake van S56287 built 1936

BR brake van B950690 built 1950

LNER(design) Thompson Brake 3rd corridor coach E1866 built 1950

David

Thanks a lot for that list as it's the items like that tend to get forgotten about. And I'm guessing that the MSCR wagon means Manchester Ship Canal Railway.

• RMweb Premium

The lean-to shed was the enginemens' mess/bothy with a roaring fire, table & long benches round it. It was the only warm area for visitors until a cafe was built 1980-ish I think. There was also a stores room adjoining it, mainly oil stores I recall. The bank at the back had lots of broken/discarded pots, stone bottles etc, I still have one I salvaged.

Dava

When I put unrestored I was referring to it's time at Dinting as I don't think the restoration was completed while it was there

It had two periods of working at Dinting.

It went straight to Hunslet for an overhaul after it's purchase from BR and worked until the mid 1970s. It was withdrawn due to needing firebox repairs and became a static exhibit. It was then overhauled again in the mid to late 1980s.

Jason

Couple of other locos which were there:-

Avonside 1883/1922 0-6-0ST Joan now at the Ribble Steam Raiilway

Ruston & Hornsby 43179/1959 0-4-0DE James, a relatively late arrival ( now scrapped?)

Thanks, I'm guessing that the R&H shunter is this one now at the KWVR.

http://kwvr.co.uk/diesel-train/ruston-hornsby-diesel-electric-0-4-0-shunter-james/