Road vehicles for a blt

The Johnster

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of rivets holding diecast models together. I once saw a demonstration on an 0 scale model where once the model was dismantled about two thirds of the rivet was ground or cut away, a small length of plastic tube was glued onto the stump and the model was re-assembled using small self tapping screws. Problem is that with 00 scale it might not be possible to find self tapping screws small enough.

On the subject of rivets holding diecast models together. I once saw a demonstration on an 0 scale model where once the model was dismantled about two thirds of the rivet was ground or cut away, a small length of plastic tube was glued onto the stump and the model was re-assembled using small self tapping screws. Problem is that with 00 scale it might not be possible to find self tapping screws small enough.

I have been motorising a few Oxford Diecast New Routemaster buses in 1/148 scale. They are basically held together with one self tapping screw hidden behind the printed clear plastic front which is glued in place, and which does not come off easily. One that I did was just about to meet up with the Dremel to drill away the plastic around the hidden screw when the front just fell off. Happily this one had missed out on the glue. Some you win, and some are a pain.

• Like 1