Inside Kings Cross: The Railway, Ch5

KingsCrossSuburban

• RMweb Premium

Maybe there is a case for retro fitting DVTs with a 1000hp diesel engine which could be switched on in certain situations and get the train to the nearest station?

Please let me know if I am being blatantly naive.

You are being Naive ;)

Given the DVT has no traction motors you are looking at an expensive modification to transmit power all the way back along the train to the 91.

While its also true the IEP has vehicles with engines but no motors - the entire train is linked by a power line to distribute the electricity (regardless of how it is created) to all motors along the train.

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of the stranded 1E19,what is the current position regarding the positioning and numbers of Thunderbird locos on the ECML.I noticed a Class 67 stabled at Doncaster last month.Would this perhaps have been its emergency duty ?

Edit: Sorry just read previous posts.

If the passengers had been tipped out somewhere then wouldn't the train have gone straight to Bounds Green rather than bringing it into what was about to become a very congested Kings Cross and then having to find another loco to take it out again?  So I was also a little surprised that the platform staff weren't expecting passengers

I noticed another 67 towing a 91+Mk4 set on last night's episode. How many standby locos does the ECML have? and if one train with a broken pantograph can cause over 4000 minutes of delays, with all the financial compensation that entails, what are the economics surrounding adding an extra standby 67 and crew at strategic location, to provide a quicker response?

I've not seen the program, but there could be a number of reasons for hauling a failed set ecs into Kings X.

For a start, the set concerned appears to have failed in the Grantham area, so likely to have been rescued by Doncaster's T'bird. It's only the Kings X drivers who 'know' onto Bounds Green depot.

There may have been pathing problems getting it via Hertford - normal access onto Bounds Green is from Bowes Park so trains from the north need to go via Hertford or into Kings X and reverse.

If the train was taken out of service early, it would likely still have to go into Kings X to have the catering supplies de-stocked before going onto the depot.

As others have noted, there's 4 T'birds on EC, all at traincrew depots. The only EC traincrew depot without a T'bird's Leeds, which is too close to the Doncaster one to make much difference. Besides, in the case of a broken Pan, the time taken to get the T'bird 'on site's' only a minor part of the equation, and 67s on EC T'bird duty are authorised to run at 100 mph light engine instead of the normal 75 mph.

Additional T'birds would make little difference in such incidents anyway. The biggest factor in delay to the train involved is that, as shown in a photo on a recent thread regarding the recent incident at Retford, the remains of the Pan are often left 'out of gauge' and require removal or tying down before the train can be moved to avoid causing even more overhead line damage. This requires getting fitters, as well as the T'bird out to the train, and then as they require roof access, full isolation and earthing of the overheads. This requires electrification crew out to switch out the sub-section locally and apply earthing straps.

In an incident at Cowton about a year ago, the T'bird was on site, from Newcastle, in about an hour. It was five hours by the time the train could be moved.

The biggest factor in delays in these incidents is the time it takes to clear and repair the damaged overhead lines.

I've seen the first three episodes, like most tv documentaries I'm throwing a small pinch of salt  but it's an enjoyable watch.

Working on the freight side, it's eye opening seeing what my counterparts on the passenger side encounter daily. I don't envy it, well done to those who make it all happen!

Jo

Archived