Big Chinese thing at the NRM

Sweeps

• 2 weeks later...

By using the slow lines to Skelton Jct, South on the up or down fast on to the loco line and in via the new Siemens depot!

There's the small problem of some wires carrying 25kV above many of the tracks though...

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Back in the 1980’s a sales team from Datong Locomotive works visited the UK looking to see if any lines were interested in buying QJ’s for use in the UK.

I have some pamphlets, badges etc from Datong from that visit.

• 2 weeks later...

That wasn't the question but if Isolated it may fit?

I suspect not - it's a seriously big beastie, and it's not just the OLE; there's other structures that might come into play too. It would certainly give NR's Gauging Team a headache!

HS1 and the Eurotunnel terminal also operate larger than UK loading gauge locos. The Eurotunnel locos need moving by road to and from Brush at Loughborough for maintenance.

But you're right about the NVR for steam locos. It's a pity they no longer have the Kriegslok.

Don’t they have a Polish 0-8-0T?

I know there were three different Swedish locos at various times, plus that odd little railcar and the various Continental coaches

post-10066-0-53988300-1525443952_thumb.jpeg

Edited by rockershovel

HS1 and the Eurotunnel terminal also operate larger than UK loading gauge locos. The Eurotunnel locos need moving by road to and from Brush at Loughborough for maintenance. 

But you're right about the NVR for steam locos. It's a pity they no longer have the Kriegslok.

What happened to the Br.64, 64.305? Is that still gently corroding away?

There's the Kriegslok (and 141R?) at Bressingham, but I don't think that one has ever run here.

NVR Wikipedia page (I know, but the NVR website doesn’t mention it) thus;

“German 2-6-2T Class 64 No. 64.305. Built in 1936. Now stored awaiting overhaul. Original intentions had been to start work once 1178 was completed. However, due to the potential costs of asbestos removal this now looks unlikely.”

Like much online information this seems to be several years out of date! However if it was in service, I’d know, because I live close to the line and regularly see the trains running. Locos I’ve seen this year are 92 Squadron, the Black 5, the Centre-cab diesel thing and the little Swedish railcar.

I also not that it’s possible to see Tornado there this weekend!

Edited by rockershovel

• RMweb Premium

Didn't the Br.52 go back over the channel? I think it's now in Belgium.

Yes, complete with spare boiler. I heard when it was at the NVR and was up for sale, the asking price was £35,000!

The 64 tank has indeed been discussed, but the heritage insulation would make it ridiculously expensive to overhaul, plus I understand the boiler isn't in a very good way anyway.

• RMweb Gold

Don’t they have a Polish 0-8-0T?

I know there were three different Swedish locos at various times, plus that odd little railcar and the various Continental coaches

attachicon.gif08C446A7-22DE-42BA-A8A0-5A4FCE068E16.jpeg

It is currently undergoing overhaul at the Flour Mill. I understand that it is expected to return upon completion.