Early days and beyond

844fan

• RMweb Premium

I wonder how many people realise how inexpensive the steam locomotive was compared with what had gone before. Take Liverpool to Birmingham and back in 1848, the trip each way taking about 4¼ hours, stoppages included. The train of coaches weighed about 80 tons transporting 240 passengers with their luggage. The distance between these two places by railway is 95 miles. This double journey of 190 miles was affected by the mechanical force produced in the combustion of a quarter ton of coke, the value of which was 6 shillings.

To carry the same number of passengers daily between the same places by stage coach on a common road would have required 20 coaches and an establishment of 3,800 horses, with which the journey in each direction would be performed in about 12 hours, stoppages included.

Under those conditions, few would have actually made the journey, as it would be expensive to spend an entire working day travelling. What the railway did, was make such a journey more affordable and so encouraged growth.

• Like 1

I've only myself to blame, I know, but now I've got that mental image to get rid of...  :bad:

Hmm funny I see no disturbing mental images. All I see is a horse with a eye half closed, it's tail raised, a humorous sound and a rather nasty smell. Which in hindsight is rather not so much a mental image but a olfactory imprint and a permanent one for anyone behind it.

Who would be so cruel to a horse as to feed it beans for a week? 

• RMweb Gold

Hmm funny I see no disturbing mental images. All I see is a horse with a eye half closed, it's tail raised, a humorous sound and a rather nasty smell. Which in hindsight is rather not so much a mental image but a olfactory imprint and a permanent one for anyone behind it.

Who would be so cruel to a horse as to feed it beans for a week? 

Same sort of people who feed popcorn to seagulls and watch them detonate in mid air.  You've got to admit it's funny...