Midland Johnson 3130

• 1 month later...

It's that time of the year again when the night's are drawing in so on with another challenge. This time a London Road Midland Johnson 3130 kit with 2950 gallon tender.

This is what you get in the kit and added to it are Gibson wheels, a High Level Loadhauler + gearbox and a Mitsumi motor.

After the J50 which i tried out Alan Gibson hornblocks (not overly impressed) i'm going to have a change and try the chassis with CSB this time.

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It's that time of the year again when the night's are drawing in so on with another challenge. This time a London Road Midland Johnson 3130 kit with 2950 gallon tender.

attachicon.gifIMAG2344.jpg

This is what you get in the kit and added to it are Gibson wheels, a High Level Loadhauler + gearbox and a Mitsumi motor.

attachicon.gifIMAG2343.jpg

After the J50 which i tried out Alan Gibson hornblocks (not overly impressed) i'm going to have a change and try the chassis with CSB this time.

Dave

It's a bit frustrating that the only currently available kit [EDIT: in 4 mm scale] for a Johnson 0-6-0 (that I'm aware of) is for an engine with 4'10" wheels - of which there were only 60 of this class and 120 of the earlier 1142 Class, in contrast to the 706 engines with 5'2" wheels (including S&DJR and M&GNJR engines) which the old Alan Gibson kit represented - strictly the last 366 of class M (including joint line engines).

Looking forward to following this build, nonetheless!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

My first dilemma has reared it's head in the shape of the CSB, before i've even started!! 

By utilising this method of springing it will reduce the space left for the gearbox as i need to use horn blocks and guides on all axles. The EM spacers with the kit are 13.8mm wide (P4 ones are 15mm, would have been a breeze with those), the loadhauler gearbox is 10.8 so leaving 1.5mm either side for the CSB etc. That is very tight, the CSB wire is usually 1mm away from the frames on handrail knobs or a similar arrangement.

I may have to substitute the load hauler gearbox for a roadrunner which would give me either 2mm or 2.5mm if i used the plain roadrunner and not the extended version. 

The first job to do i think is to make up the hornblock assemblies and to see if i can slim the driven axle pair down or re jig it so i gain as much space as i can when they're mounted on the frames.

Dave 

I've made a start on the hornblocks.

I'm using Puffers ones as they are the thinnest i have. The guide has been cut back on one side and i've soldered home made carrier tags onto one side of the hornblock bearing, they all have a 0.5mm dia hole 4mm above the axle centre line. I made them so that the bottom of the tag would be flush with the bearing so they were relatively easy to assemble then. 

I decided to go with the roadrunner+ gearbox in the end as it gave me an extra 1mm in width to play with over the load hauler. They are so easy to put together as long as you follow Chris's instructions exactly. Axles have been glued to the frames so i just need to let that set.

Next job is to mark out the frames for the fulcrum point tags that the wire beam will go through picking up on the holes in the hornblock bearing tags. 

Dave

• Like 1

Dave, I hope you understand my comment about the plain black hiding the detail on the J50. A bit of weathering will bring it all back out again. 

The next one on the list is always a nice way to keep a track of your modelling over the years. I have a feeling I have another loco comming on too. 

Dave, I hope you understand my comment about the plain black hiding the detail on the J50. A bit of weathering will bring it all back out again. 

The next one on the list is always a nice way to keep a track of your modelling over the years. I have a feeling I have another loco comming on too. 

Hi Doug glad to hear you've something in the pipeline.

Once i've got my EM layout built i'll add decals and weather all of the stock to reflect that. At the moment the J50 is sitting patiently waiting something to run on.

Cheers

Dave

It's a bit frustrating that the only currently available kit [EDIT: in 4 mm scale] for a Johnson 0-6-0 (that I'm aware of) is for an engine with 4'10" wheels - of which there were only 60 of this class and 120 of the earlier 1142 Class, in contrast to the 706 engines with 5'2" wheels (including S&DJR and M&GNJR engines) which the old Alan Gibson kit represented - strictly the last 366 of class M (including joint line engines).

Looking forward to following this build, nonetheless!

London Road Models do a 5'3" Johnson 0-6-0. I have only built the Gibson version but I am told by others that the LRM kit is a good one.

• RMweb Premium

London Road Models do a 5'3" Johnson 0-6-0. I have only built the Gibson version but I am told by others that the LRM kit is a good one.

Do they? I only see the H-boilered and Belpaire versions on their website, along with this 1698 Class engine.

• RMweb Premium

I've just looked at the LRM catalogue and they do a 3130 Class engine

Regards

Yes, that's the one Black Country Mon is building here. The point is, it's the less common 4'10" driving wheel version of the Johnson goods engine; outnumbered nearly 4-to-1 by the 5'2" engines.

Fulcrum points (short handrail knobs) added to the inside of the frames at the positions from the CLAG website (see below for link) and 0.36 dia guitar wire threaded through all of the components. 

I've checked the line and level of the axles with some long 1/8" bar and all seems ok but until i get the wheels pressed and quartered on i won't be certain. As the wheels are Gibson's i will be leaving that until after the brake assembly is sorted and the chassis is painted.

CLAG website link http://www.clag.org.uk/beam-annex3.html#introduction

Dave

Yes, that's the one Black Country Mon is building here. The point is, it's the less common 4'10" driving wheel version of the Johnson goods engine; outnumbered nearly 4-to-1 by the 5'2" engines.

Having had a look at their website I was wrong, now eating humble pie and note to self  to check first in future.

Just to satisfy my curiosity I have taken a butchers and Stephen Summerson's 'Midland Railway Locomotives Volume 4' ISBN 1-903266-55-6. I have the book in front of me as I write.

As intimated earlier in the thread there were several series of engines, the 4'-10 1/2" '1142 Class Mineral Engines', the 5'-2 1/2" '1357 Class Express Goods', the '1698 Class' 4'-10 1/2" Mineral Engines (which were renumbered from 3130 in 1909), and several series of 5'-3 1/2" 'Standard Goods' starting with the '1798 Class'.

I'm not all convinced that the Midland had a concept of the '3130 Class'. I think the classification based on the number of the first in the class went out of the window in 1909 to be replaced by a system based on traffic classification, ie Class 1, 2 etc.

Regards

Opened out the boiler at the firebox and soldered the boiler seam. Wrestled as i always do with the smokebox wrappers and front without getting the rivetted overlay too obliterated with solder. Decided also to use the kits boiler bands before it was attached to the footplate assembly.

Got the saddle fitted to the footplate along with the cylinder cover and frame extensions. Everything so far has fitted really well with only a miniscule amount of trimming where the firebox and splashers meet. 

On with some of the detailing components hopefully over the weekend at some point.

Dave 

• Like 4