Dapol

P58586

I think the LNER is a difficult one, actually. It was essentially a loose confederation of pre-group railways, each part of which continued to row its own boat for many years. A GW pannier tank (if well chosen as to class) can pop up practically anywhere on the GW. There are few, if any, LNER classes of which the same can be said. The majority were distinctly localised, so in effect you would be aiming for a slice of the global LNER market rather than the whole. It wasn't until Mr Thompson came along that there was any serious attempt at standardisation, and by then the show was pretty much over. Even in BR days the former NER area would have looked very different to the former GER area, for example.

I am arguing against my own case here. I am another who would like a Sacre 2-4-0t by the way, but commercially it would only sell to people who thought it was pretty, and to about 5-10 who actually needed one. Please can we have the open-cab version with the Parker chimney? :locomotive:

Which is why we chose the 57XX/8750 0-6-0PT and it is available now. 

• Like 4

If I were to suggest a serious LNER contender, it would be the J9/J10. (Essentially the same class with different valve gear.) Small loco, albeit with tender, OK for passenger or goods and ideal for a typical branch line. Quite a big class, and the J10s lasted until the early 60s, so also long-lived.

Obviously at home on the GC/CLC. However post 1923 some were sent to Bonny Scotland. Others rocked up in East Anglia. I don't think they'd be too out of place on the former GN either. They ended up as station pilots at Wigan North Western, of all places, so even fit the LMR.

Snag, lots of variation within the class. Although that could be seen as an opportunity. 

LLC have already stuck their flag in Eastern England and suggested they have a production plan of 2 locos per year with an Eastern steam already being worked on. The GoG forum has a bit more discussion (and wish list frothing)

Paul

• Like 2

I wonder how much a tender will add to the price? At least £70 which is what the milk tank costs - essentially you could regard them as equivalent

Paul R

Not a bad guess. The Heljan GWR large prairie tank and GWR Mogul have basically the same chassis and the respective full RRPs are £699 and £779.

• Like 1

There is of course the Sentinel Y1/Y3 for LNER fans....or the NER Y7/Y8

Dava

Quite so. That's why Ixion and Minerva started with industrial locos - usually long-lived and ubiquitous and some, with careful selection, used by mainline companies.

• Like 3

Choosing an LNER prototype must be near impossible for manufacturers. Which class of loco can you build an LNER layout around?  A J10 is cute but it is useless to modellers with a leaning towards railways in East Anglia, York, West Yorkshire, Newcastle, Scotland etc.  In fact the only loco that springs to mind as having served over quite a bit of the old LNER system is the LMS Fairburn Tank, and this loco would serve the S.Region as well. So the bottom line is, the best LNER loco is an LMS one!   :mosking:

Hat, coat an' all that....

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Paul

I am very much inclined to agree with you. don't forget the Dapol/Lionheart BR standard 3 is still listed albeit at a price tag of £999 which somebody suggested would be significantly less if produced under the Dapol label but given there were only 20 built the Ivatt 2-6-2 might be a better choice and certainly so from a geographical point of view. One was even tried on the Aldborough branch

regards

Paul R

Paul

I am very much inclined to agree with you. don't forget the Dapol/Lionheart BR standard 3 is still listed albeit at a price tag of £999 which somebody suggested would be significantly less if produced under the Dapol label but given there were only 20 built the Ivatt 2-6-2 might be a better choice and certainly so from a geographical point of view. One was even tried on the Aldborough branch

regards

Paul R

Standard 3MT - 45 were built, and they had very widespread use, and one is being built new. As a youth I regularly saw them at Waterloo, including 82029 and had no idea the same loco had started work on the North Yorkshire Moors branches based at Malton. But the price looks scary compared to other RTR models now being produced.  http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brsteam/e6514a914

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

LNER tank engines that got about the system, first option would be the V1/V3, designed by Gresley for the LNER.

Other tank engines could be he NER G5 or J71/72 these tank engines though NE designed saw service around the LNER and in to BR days.

If I was being purely selfish I'd go for a J77 which saw service from the NE to darkest Yorkshire, but I can live in hope!!!!!

Regards

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The J94 [or Hunslet Austerity in LNER guise]] is an obviously post-WW2 option. Also found on the Cromford & High Peak among other places. Now who promised a 7mm scale RTR version, some years [sept 2013, 4 years] ago? Ah yes, wasn't he something to do with Dapol once....

Dava

Edited by Dava
  • Like 1

If one really wants to be wild, then the GCR/ROD 2-8-0 reached to a good many parts of Britain before they were clawed back by the Government and put on sale before the Grouping. The LNWR got some but the LMS scrapped them within a decade although keeping the tenders. The GWR kept their ROD's in traffic until 1957.  They got around the LNER system quite a bit but with differing boilers and different chassis. so we are back to square one. Hardly the first choice for a country branchline.

Edited by coachmann

If one really wants to be wild, then the GCR/ROD 2-8-0 reached to a good many parts of Britain before they were clawed back by the Government and put on sale before the Grouping. The LNWR got some but the LMS scrapped them within a decade although keeping the tenders. The GWR kept their ROD's in traffic until 1957.  They got around the LNER system quite a bit but with differing boilers and different chassis. so we are back to square one. Hardly the first choice for a country branchline.

My Australian Ixion partners have always wanted to do the GCR/ROD 2-8-0 in 0 gauge. The Richmond Vale Railway, a colliery network in New South Wales, bought 13 of them between 1925-27. The last one remained in service until 1973 and one is preserved albeit non-operational. Size is indeed the problem; they are more likely to be trophy rather than working models.

• Like 2

We had the first two prototypes for our G15/Y6 GER/LNER/BR 0-4-0 Tram locos on our stand at Telford there will be an initial run of 20 produced in our own workshop in the Lake District. We are hoping for the first production models should be ready for Reading in December.  The will be supplied to the customers specification ie livery, DCC, DDC sound. Prices start at £500 for primer finish and DC. 

post-13539-0-12482100-1505069060.jpg

post-13539-0-74862000-1505069087.jpg

post-13539-0-00711500-1505069141.jpg

• Like 3

Paul

regards

Paul R

Hi Paul,

I concur with Paul B's comments about numbers built and there widespread use, I was involved in a conversation with Richard (Lionheart) as a kernel of an idea to produce a model of the 82xxx, as I had some drawings. I have no formal connection with the project whatsoever, just a supporter of the superior quality that Richard has brought to the RTR market, either through Lionheart or Dapol, It may follow the upcoming 45xx in a similar production style and at a similar price? so about half the price against the original quoted spec. Room for optimism one thinks, Like the idea of the Ivatt, Johng 

• Like 1

Choosing an LNER prototype must be near impossible for manufacturers. Which class of loco can you build an LNER layout around?  A J10 is cute but it is useless to modellers with a leaning towards railways in East Anglia, York, West Yorkshire, Newcastle, Scotland etc.  In fact the only loco that springs to mind as having served over quite a bit of the old LNER system is the LMS Fairburn Tank, and this loco would serve the S.Region as well. So the bottom line is, the best LNER loco is an LMS one!   :mosking:

Hat, coat an' all that....

And there lies the challenge - and it's one that LLC is very keen to pick up. I'm very much looking forward to it and I have developed a strategy that will work (at least on paper).

On the subject of the ROD, one of LLCs partners is very keen for us to produce it, but I must admit it is some years off, if at all.

• Like 3

And there lies the challenge - and it's one that LLC is very keen to pick up. I'm very much looking forward to it and I have developed a strategy that will work (at least on paper).

On the subject of the ROD, one of LLCs partners is very keen for us to produce it, but I must admit it is some years off, if at all.

The ROD seems a lot more sensible than the 4+ 9Fs being produced RTR in 7mm. Long and varied life and the tenders had independent lives which lasted even longer. There was one at the first Swindon Works open days I went to in 1975. I've a photo somewhere.

Paul

• Like 1

The 04/ROD has huge potential. One potential would be to sell the tender separately, as there were quite a few locos (apart from GC ones!) that had a ROD tender. The liveries that could be chosen are almost infinite, and with a bit of rejigging several LNER variants could also be developed.

Only snag, it's not really a branch line engine, and most of us only have room for a branch line in 7mm scale. At best. 

I think that an ex LMS 2F, 3F, or a 4F would be a great choice. They operated on trains of all sizes from local freights to branch line passenger services especially in the later days of steam. They have the advantage of being small and very versatile. Another choice would be an Ivatt tank which would suit many people and was seen all over the country. How about it Dapol or whoever.

Rod