Dapol

P58586

As the 2F,3F & 4F tender locos all shared the same 8' x 8'6" wheelbase as the Jinty perhaps some of the chassis design/tooling could be re-used?

Ray.

Only if Dapol had the sense not to make the mechanism require the space inside the side tanks of the Fowler 3F "Jinty."

Edited by hartleymartin

As the 2F,3F & 4F tender locos all shared the same 8' x 8'6" wheelbase as the Jinty perhaps some of the chassis design/tooling could be re-used?

Ray.

This is never as easy as it seems. A top and drop solution is rarely possiblle without some compromise. The Jinty had 4'7" driving wheels, the 2F, 3F and 4F had 5'3" driving wheels (some 2Fs had 4'11"). It will be interesting to see if the Heljan large GWR Prairie tank loco and GWR Mogul share common chassis tooling. The Grange, Hall and Manor classes also have the same wheelbase. 

As you say, Chris, the Mogul and large Prairie chassis have far more in common with each other than the Jinty has with the 2F etc.  The oft repeated (but not necessarily true!) story is that Swindon started construction of the Moguls before the design work was completed by simply using the relevant Prairie drawings.

Cheers,

Ray.

If I am correct the GWR pursued a policy of standardization from a early era once the nonsense of the 7ft+ track gauge had been abandoned. This must make it somewhat simpler for manufacturers as a fair bit of common tooling could be used. I am not a manufacturer so maybe I am talking out of the back of my head re this so please bear with me if I have got it all wrong.

Rod

If models were made out of a similar number of components to the real thing we'd be on to a winner, Rod.

Unfortunately (or maybe not, for the sake of variety?), all those standardised components were invariably attached to other items which were specific to a particular class, and cannot be made separate in model form.

Nice try though!

• 2 weeks later...

For LNER, how about a J94? I know there are suggestions of one coming from DJ Models, but nothing concrete as to when. In my limited experience, I would expect the loco's to have wide commercial viability , as they can be produced as both LNER and BR variants, as well as industrial versions. And they seem to have gotten about - i think i've seen a picture of 68077 running through Clapham Jct!

Just a thought.

PM