Working aerial-ropeway in 4mm scale: has it been done ? If so, how ?

I built a model of (one end of) the aerial ropeway which connected Rhiwfron Halt on the Vale of Rheidol with the Cwm Rheidol lead mines. Although the layout still exists (just!) the headgear building disintegrated some years ago. The model worked after a fashion but not terribly successfully, at least in part due to tensioning issues and having to keep 'derailing' the carts to fill them up.

CC Green relates that on one occasion this ropeway carried a passenger - a woman who lived across the valley from Rhiwfron Halt who mentioned to the workmen that she would have to walk all the way down the hillside and back up the other side - so they sent her across!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can't help with how to make one but here's probably the only time an aerial ropeway has featured in a movie.

Michael Caine - Get Carter revenge scene.

One of the railway enthusiast's all-time favourite films, if only for the opening credits cab ride up the ECML to Roy Budd soundtrack.  

Although it's all meant to be around Tyneside, I believe this final scene was actually at Horden colliery just North of Hartlepool.

Blimmin' Southerners - "It all looks the same up Norf dunnit?"

• 2 weeks later...

Was at the Cardiff model show on Saturday , talked briefly to Wayne Hopkins the builder of the arial ropeway and colliery layout , he now has another project on the go which includes a longer arial ropeway apparently 18 ft long !, will post any more information as and when I know

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

We had a walk up to the Claughton Ropeway on a misty Sunday (yesterday). Surprising to me was the colour and texture of the shale that is the raw material in brick manufacture. I always assumed it closely resembled clay, soft and pliable, but it is dry and flaky, a bit like puff pastry.

post-15238-0-94855700-1534766006_thumb.jpg

post-15238-0-83317500-1534766228_thumb.jpg

post-15238-0-22274600-1534766246_thumb.jpg

• Like 4