Model Rail 242 December 2017

Budgie

I was very disappointed with the poor quality of the various sketches that accompanied Paul Lunn's article on using 'setrack' for layouts. They reproductions were far too feint and the accompanying hand-scrawled notes were illegible.

Hi there, you're absolutely right I was disappointed too and take full responsibility for the quality of reproduction.  It was a bit of an experiment in trying to share pages from my sketch/notebook in trying to encourage folks into realising you don't have to be an artist to get a solution 'doodled' out.  Unfortunately pencil doesn't seem to transfer too well!  I've tried to upload better copies with this post but to no avail, but think I can provide a link to WeTransfer with the necessary images uploaded there.  If this is something that would be helpful either for yourself or other readers please PM me with a suitable email address and i'll send the link.  Kind regards Paul 

• RMweb Premium

I was a bit dismissive of the last Model Rail issue but I bought this one, a bargain with the 'How to build a model railway' supplement packed with ideas, we had nothing like that back in the day [70's/80s]. The actual magazine is much more construction and 'how to' oriented than the other mags, with fewer layouts. Great photos of 'Hadleigh', huge depth of hi-res field, do they use stacking?

It must be a tough job finding/creating new content every month when there are 5 or so railway modeling mags serving quite a limited market.

Dava

It is a great pity that Mike Harris is moving on from Model Rail. Mike seemed be taking on a greater load and capability in the layout write-ups and had clearly taken to our hobby.  It is in the 'Model Rail TV' space where he really stood out - a real breath of fresh air. I hope that he is not lost to model railway journalism and wish him all the best for the future.

It is a great pity that Mike Harris is moving on from Model Rail. Mike seemed be taking on a greater load and capability in the layout write-ups and had clearly taken to our hobby.  It is in the 'Model Rail TV' space where he really stood out - a real breath of fresh air. I hope that he is not lost to model railway journalism and wish him all the best for the future.

We were sorry to lose him but he's into photography as well as modelling and he had a very tempting offer that has taken him in a different direction. Last thing he did before he left was to film a Model Rail movie (similar to the Dave Lowery one on Youtube) at my home - it may yet see the light of day in due course. (CJL)

• Like 3