New DCC Concepts Position Light Signals

• RMweb Gold

Very definitely yellow.

Won't be buying any of them then....

They should be white. I could understand it in the days when small white LEDs were either very hard to come by or stupidly expensive but nowadays they are cheap as chips.

Andi

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not strictly about the red green ones but I've read somewhere that these signals aren't controlled from the panel they supply but have to be linked to point motors

The "usual" way of controlling the DCC Concepts ground signals (of any type) is via the supplied DCC controlled Mimic board.

They can also be controlled via a reversing 12v DC (or so) feed with suitable inline resistor - typically 500-1kohm. So yes - can be connected to a SPDT switch, such as that on a point motor in conjunction with a +12/0/-12 split supply or a 12v DC supply with a DPDT switch. 

They are available without the Mimic board as the add-on pack of signals only.

Cheers,

Mick

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I bought some and have to say they are quite nice, the price is fantastic and they seem to be simple to install. Considering the other signals on the market at £30 each in DCC format getting 12 DCC ground signals and a control board for £69 is a winner in my book.

Not sure I would agree that they are 7mm scale even if they are allegedly bit over scale, you can remove the block under neath and seat them lower down as was done in earlier pictures.

Its down to personal choice again.

regards

Doug

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

How do you control them?

The pack I bought has a panel which allocates 12 DCC addresses, so you can control them via your controller using each address.  You can also link them to a panel (DCC) link the mimic or similar.  I am going to control them with my JMRI panel that I have put together.  I control points, routes and signals on there.

If I can work out how to upload a picture will send some.  

I do agree they are a slight yellow look but I am happy with them.

Doug

Where would these be used? I cannot see any reference on various UK Signalling websites (this and others) I've looked at, nor a google image search of UK Modern Signals is coming up with anything.

attachicon.gifdcc.JPG

Hmm... can't say that I have ever seen anything like those either. It looks almost like a 'fudge' because they can't provide a single 'pivot lamp' that can show both red or white.

Where would these be used? I cannot see any reference on various UK Signalling websites (this and others) I've looked at, nor a google image search of UK Modern Signals is coming up with anything.

attachicon.gifdcc.JPG

They are the same as a normal independent position light, but they just have 4 lenses to show two reds horizontally and two whites at 45 degrees, so they have the same positioning rules.

Of course, what has been discussed is that they are very over scale (I think they are almost overscale for 7mm!).

Simon

Hmm... can't say that I have ever seen anything like those either. It looks almost like a 'fudge' because they can't provide a single 'pivot lamp' that can show both red or white.

They are Fibre Optic type signals, see third photo on this page: http://www.railsigns.uk/photos/p_shuntsig2/p_shuntsig2.html

There's still one at Portsmouth & Southsea and I'm sure they are other places.

Simon

Of course, what has been discussed is that they are very over scale (I think they are almost overscale for 7mm!).

Thanks Simon,

I've read the comments about being oversize, but I wasn't sure if those comments we relating to the 3 light LMS/BR signal (or the other two types).

So, are ALL the DCC Concept signals overscale?

They are Fibre Optic type signals, see third photo on this page: http://www.railsigns.uk/photos/p_shuntsig2/p_shuntsig2.html

There's still one at Portsmouth & Southsea and I'm sure they are other places.

I'm looking to get some signals for my (eventual) layout, so doing some research at the moment. Not sure whether to buy some in advance as Hattons currently have these at a good discount.

So (maybe a length of string questions), but with a modern era Diesels layout (year 2000 to current), mainline with some shunting and fiddle yard being considered, would l be looking at these 4 lamp ground signals as UK prototype, or the 3 lamp LMS/BR signals? (Once I learn more about signalling I'll probably look back at this post and realise that this was a really silly question, but at the moment I'm starting from scratch and learning a lot).

Thanks Simon,

I've read the comments about being oversize, but I wasn't sure if those comments we relating to the 3 light LMS/BR signal (or the other two types).

So, are ALL the DCC Concept signals overscale?

Hi,

Certainly the position light signals are overscale, I'm trying to establish if the miniature red / green signals are overscale or not, I don't think they are, but I'm not sure

I'm looking to get some signals for my (eventual) layout, so doing some research at the moment. Not sure whether to buy some in advance as Hattons currently have these at a good discount.

So (maybe a length of string questions), but with a modern era Diesels layout (year 2000 to current), mainline with some shunting and fiddle yard being considered, would l be looking at these 4 lamp ground signals as UK prototype, or the 3 lamp LMS/BR signals? (Once I learn more about signalling I'll probably look back at this post and realise that this was a really silly question, but at the moment I'm starting from scratch and learning a lot).

The best bet is the triangular LMS type. However, for current period layout, they should display two red lamps horizontally when 'ON' and two white lamps at 45 degress when 'OFF', so just check that when you buy. You could use the 4 aperture signals for a bit of variety, but these weren't that common.

Hope that helps.

Simon

The best bet is the triangular LMS type. However, for current period layout, they should display two red lamps horizontally when 'ON' and two white lamps at 45 degress when 'OFF', so just check that when you buy. You could use the 4 aperture signals for a bit of variety, but these weren't that common.

Hope that helps.

It sure does, thanks. I had assumed that 'LMS' was a reference to the old steam days, and therefore these were on old signal style, if still around between 2000-2018 then probably being phased out.

Certainly the position light signals are overscale, I'm trying to establish if the miniature red / green signals are overscale or not, I don't think they are, but I'm not sure

I'm not familiar with the terminology. What are 'Position Light Signals' and 'Miniature red/green signals'?

Does this relate to any of the 3 DCC Concepts range of signals (below (ignoring the US type)), or does it refer to the signals on the taller posts -v- ground based signals?

post-31758-0-47400800-1542987228.jpg

It sure does, thanks. I had assumed that 'LMS' was a reference to the old steam days, and therefore these were on old signal style, if still around between 2000-2018 then probably being phased out.

I'm not familiar with the terminology. What are 'Position Light Signals' and 'Miniature red/green signals'?

Does this relate to any of the 3 DCC Concepts range of signals (below (ignoring the US type)), or does it refer to the signals on the taller posts -v- ground based signals?

attachicon.gifDCC Signals.JPG

LMS is more of a reference to who originally designed them...

In your screenshot, the Position Light Signals are the centre and right hand images, whilst the miniature red / green signal is the one on the left.

So, the signals shown in the centre and right are overscale, I'm not sure about the ones on the left.

Simon

Hi,

I had a short conversation with DCC Concepts about the size of their ground signals at Warley this afternoon

The representative told me that they were to scale and to engineering drawings, claiming that the ground signals have got much smaller over the years, they I think we've agreed is the opposite to what has actually happened. They even tried to explain to me that the signals getting smaller is the reason for them being mounted at drivers eye level now.....

He also revealed they are going to be doing more ground signals in future and possible even main aspect signals....I don't hold out much hope....

However, I got a good look at the miniature red / green signals, and I think they are just about within an acceptable scale.

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Has anybody tried the TrainTech GPLS? I use these http://www.train-tech.com/index.php/signalling/dcc-signals/77-gs1-ground-position-shunt-signal-wr which work well from standard DCC addressing.  Pricey (£35) but worth looking at and about the same size as the CRS ones (£17) - but the TT ones come with a built in DCC controller.