Portchullin6.jpg

Welcome to a thread on my layout, Portchullin. The first few postings are dragged over from the old RMweb, then we will get around to some real updates.........

For those that wish to see pictures of my layout, Portchullin, I have created a Fotopics site for it. Some of the later photos are a bit ropey at present but they will get updates as I do have some better ones.

For those of you who did not get to see it at Scaleforum [2008], it is an imaginary station, on the Dingwall & Skye Railway, the Highland Railway's arm to Kyle of Lochalsh. It is set in 1974, which is when I first went there as a nipper; but at this time, whilst it was well into the blue & grey era, the remaining infrastructure was all 20, 30, 50 years old or even original. It is thus a traditional railway, without steam trains!

It is modelled in P4 and was entered into the Scalefour Society and DEMU's D&E Challenge, for layouts that are capable of being transported by a family car (fortunately trailers were allowed!) and had at least 75% diesel or electric traction. The layout was fortunate enough to win this on the public vote.

It will be venturing out for some more shows, but not until well into next year as it does need finishing and I do have a day job..............!!!!!

post-7769-127032793551_thumb.jpg
View at Scaleforum 2008 - looking east, it is a long way yet to Inverness!

post-7769-127032786228_thumb.jpg
View at Scaleforum 2008 - looking west, not to far to Kyle now!

post-7769-127032809354_thumb.jpg
A sulzer idling at the station - a common enough sight (and sound!) on a single track line.

Edited by Portchullin Tatty
  • Like 11

Again, dragged over from the old RMweb........

I am slowly developing the website (see link at my signature). As I have cracked a layout plan, I attach it.

A very simple layout, as were all the station on the Kyle line. Just a passing loop, a pair of sidings on the down line and one to the up line. However, there is enough here to keep the visitor entertained I hope.

But any station like this might still have to accomodate a pair of passing trains at the same time that one overtakes one of them - it i had enough stock imight even try it! The manouvear was somewhat complicated but entirely legal. My father did an article about in the LMS Journal about a year ago, it went on for pages!

I have now accepted several show invites. Leytonstone in May 2009, Guildford in January 2010 (NB, this one did not happen, they could not squeeze me in!) and Epsom in April 2010 (this one is!) - there will be more to come. If you go to the shows and see the layout, say hello!

post-7769-12703283496_thumb.gif

• Like 9

Whilst to many the burble of a sulzer is what you associate the most with the line to Skye, it was not always so and the further you go back, the more interesting the locomotive power................

Whilst the concept of the layout is firmly in placed in 1974, my first choice modelling era is the 1920's. The combination of the pre-group liveries mixed in with crimson lake, the victorian and edwardian engines does it for me!

However, with the exception of the stock, the paint schemes on the timber buildings and the signals, absolutely nothing is different on a station out in the highlands between the 1920's and the 1970's. In time, I will make replacement signals and buildings, so that the layout can be radically backdated.

As a taster, a few photographs of my father's Clan MacKinnon were taken at Scalefourum and these are attached. This was built for him by John James and a very nice job he made of it too. So much so, I am indulging in some cheque book modelling myself, another is being built for me! Hopefully by the time mine has arrived, the absence of lettering for the name will be resolved.

file.php?id=61444Clan MacKinnon, at the platformClan_2[4].JPG (36.62 KiB) Viewed 2966 times

The Clans were the last locomotives built by the Highland Railway, just before grouping. They (like most of the Highland engines) looked particularly fine in crimson lake, which they would have worn until the late 1920'2, early 1930's. Strictly speaking, the Clans did not make it down the line, being mostly confined to the Highland main line (and for about 10 years the Oban line); however, their very close sisters the Superheated Goods (or Clan Goods as many referred to them), were the staple motive power for over a decade in the 1930's.

file.php?id=61443Clan MacKinnon, approaching the bridgeClan_1[6].JPG (37.72 KiB) Viewed 2965 times

• Like 5

By May 2009, the layout had moved on a bit and had its second outing, at Leytonstone:

Now that the "photo situation" has been sorted out; here are some photos of Portchullin taken at Leytonstone.

Lets start with my favourite, a picture of a class 26 (Heljan) with a rather nice weathering job courtesy of Craig Asquith. I really like this picture although there are a couple of things that jar - its amazing how you do not see things until you sit down with a photograph. The loco had had a wiper knocked off and I had forgotten to paint the open headcodes (doah!).

file.php?id=80363The sun catches on the windscreen as 26 046 pulls away with the morning Inverness trainPICT0121compress.JPG (26.41 KiB) Viewed 732 timesThe next shot was taken a short while later as the train moves out of the station past the down home.

file.php?id=8036526 046 again, passing the the down home and that "other" signalPICT0123compress.JPG (37.71 KiB) Viewed 731 times

Finally for now, is a progress shot of the west side of the layout. You will see in earlier pictures the rockfaces were pretty lifeless and the "growies" were contained to only a limited area. Both of these have been developed but are still work in progress.

file.php?id=80364Looking across the station from the west endPICT0133overall compress.JPG (35.29 KiB) Viewed 730 times

• Like 8

Now that's the proper colour for a loco! smile.gif

Is Jerusalem Works to get to see any red ones?

All you need to do is move the era to the first 6-8 years of the LMS and you can get lots as they painted most passenger/mixed traffic loco's in red. The Highland section, having had unlined olive green for 15+ years took too it big time so even titchy unclassified (effectively 0P locos's) were decked out in lined red. Must have had something to do with the person who was paying for it being a very long way away down in Euston!

Is Jerusalem Works to get to see any red ones?

It's certainly a possibility, there is very little detail on the layout that will pin it down to any time period, (deliberately, as the original concept was just as a decorated display case), so going prewar might be quite fun, (as and when funds permit of course). I really must post some progress pics... :)

• RMweb Gold

Mark,

Great to see you back on the RMWeb at last. Look forward to seeing more, especially as Portchullin (along with some of the other Scots "greats" on here help me stay motivated with Kilbrannan Ferry. Although not much progress there since February due to redecoration of my house!

Gus

• 2 weeks later...

I had intended to complete the update of the "old RMWeb" thread but have had an extended sojurn across the continent unexpected thrust upon me. It did allow me to relive a few Interail memories though - not least how the French railwaymen do like a strike!!!

Rather than update the story at the moment, can I let you know that Portchullin will be at the Epsom show this weekend. There will have been a few bits added to it, but less than I had hoped - but we should have all noisy Sulzers as they do sound good when they tick over. Details of the Epsom show are at http://www.trainweb..../exhibition.htm. I do recommend the show, it is one of the best in the SE and this year looks good even if I say so myself!

At least one other RMWeb regular Wheal Elizabeth is going to be there (http://www.rmweb.co...._1entry116700) - I am particularly keen to see this again as I only saw it at Scaleforum in passing as I was rather busy myself. Johnstown Road ( http://www.barrowmor...DSC_0311800.jpg) and Horton Regis (http://www.trainweb....HortonRegis.htm) also catch my eye.

So not yet able to do the Highland stock for some time yet:

post-7769-127187064041.jpg

But plenty of dirty diesels will be on hand:

post-7769-127187046653.jpg

Stop by and say hello!

• Like 4

A couple of AJ couplings to attach and then we will be packing for the journey to Epsom.

And, Portchullin makes the national press............... http://www.building....ode=3162190&c=1 . I think I was supposed to be selling what a great company I work for (etc etc) and how all our cleints should instruct us on more work. Oh well!

• 1 month later...

To continue the saga from the old RMweb, the next outing was at Uckfield and by this time much of the layout was beginning to look finished (ish)

post-7769-127508591646_thumb.jpg

And some of the more junior members of the operating crew seemed to have a good time (by standing on a very high box!)

post-7769-12750851066_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Paul, I regret to say that you are indeed quite a long way off. I am not wishing to discourage show invites from Stateside, but I sense the expenses might be viewed as a bit eyewatering..........!!!!

JD, a couple more photo's for you. Firstly of the east box, an excellant model made for me by Peter Bond (thanks Peter!):

post-7769-127525471299.jpg

post-7769-127525474064.jpg

And then a couple of my favoriate views of the layout, looking like a Highland station generally does - empty waiting for a train!

post-7769-127525481638.jpg

post-7769-127525492047.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Mark,

Stunning layout,cool.gif the scenary and those Scottich sulzers look great.

I have a friend on holiday in the UK at the moment and he said he might go to the DEMU show, he will love Portchulin as he is building a Scottish based layout. I noticed Airthrey Park is going to so should be a good show.

Cheers Peter,

• 2 weeks later...

Andy York came armed with his camera to DEMU and in the relative peace and quiet of Sunday morning managed to get some great shots, one of which has made Portchullin a cover girl I see! Here are a couple of them:

post-7769-127663519441_thumb.jpg

post-7769-127663497787_thumb.jpg

cheers for those Andy!

Next outing for Portchullin is a little way off, the East London Finescale Exhibition on 6th & 7th November - details of which are here: http://www.ehmrc.org.uk/exhibs.html

• Like 7

Paul, I regret to say that you are indeed quite a long way off. I am not wishing to discourage show invites from Stateside, but I sense the expenses might be viewed as a bit eyewatering..........!!!!

Alas, I will have to content myself with admiring your craftsmanship via the Internet. Happy to see that Portchullin made Photo of the Week!

• 2 weeks later...

STOP PRESS!!!

I have accepted an invite to attend this year's Scaleforum (25 & 26 September - http://www.scalefour...hows/shows.html). It was due to go in 2011, but due to a layout having to withdraw, the invite has been brought forward a year.

This is my favoriate of Andy York's pictures - I have been holding it back to use it in a splash!

post-7769-127823863382_thumb.jpg

Looking at the picture, some more fence posts are badly needed and I really do need to sort out the joint by the down fiddle yard. About the only problem with the layout that is not merely operator error.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Yet another cracking model of a Scots prototype. Seems Scotland brings out the best in some people's skills. Well done!

I agree completely with Ian, it is a lovely model.

Regards,

Nick