Mark,

Whom are to standing in for, if it's not a delicate question?

Not delicate at all. Just one of those unfortunate things that was outside the control of the Scalefour Society. Regrettably, Mostyn withdrew their original acceptance of our invitation to attend.

We are currently looking at having one or two D&E layouts attend to replace it, depending on the space available. Mark has very kindly offered Portchullin to us at very short notice, as it was the winner of the Society's D&E Challenge and we would be delighted to have it return.

All the best

Paul Willis

Deputy Chairman

(typing this from a very noisy Amsterdam, where Het Oranje are celebrating)

• 2 months later...

Right! Things are pressing ahead to get the layout ready for Scaleforum.

Mr Parkside have thought seriously about retiring after the number of their kits that I have purchased over the last few years and we have a selection of additional vans to add to the stock list (and plenty more in the cupboard!). Indeed, I recall them saying to me a couple of years back at the layout - you'll be wanting a lot of our vans then! How right they are, when you look at pictures of the kyle line, most of the goods was carried in fitted vans.

No bang up to date pictures, but here are a few from earlier in the year (with thanks to Nick Harling for some of these).

post-7769-001803800 1283894963_thumb.jpg

post-7769-043555000 1283895166_thumb.jpg

Whilst I still do not have enough stock to convert the layout back to the 1920's, I have been working on this (see my workbench thread too). So not yet but soon, we will make it look like this.

post-7769-058878600 1283895375_thumb.jpg

So Pinkmouse, what is the proper colour for an engine?

See you all at Scaleforum? Details here.................http://www.scalefour.org/shows/shows.html

I'll make a couple more posts to show a few more of the changes in the coming couple of weeks.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

We are safely back from Scaleforum and now unpacked, if a little exhausted. A lot of RMwebbers stopped by to say hello, so it was nice to put some faces to names!

I hope to have a few photo's to put up in due course but I have to say that Highlandman's from the Scaleforum thread really caught my eye. Obviously there has been a little bit of photoshopping to plonk Buachaille Etive Mor and Glen Etive in the view but it does work I think?

post-7769-093880400 1285531593_thumb.jpg

What is really tickling to a student of Scottish railway history, is that this is not such an unrealistic view. The Glasgow North Western Railway planned to build a line (well before the West Highland was conceived) from Glasgow, up the east side of Loch Lomand, across Rannoch moor and down Glen Coe. It would have then gone up the great glen to Inverness. It did not get parliamentary approval, but just imagine it did - this is what it would have looked like! So thanks very much Highlandman, this was really appreciated and I gotta get me photoshop I can see!

Portchullin is next out at the East London Finescale show on the 6th & 7th of November http://www.ehmrc.org.uk/exhibs.html. After this, we will be at Southampton, Railex and Tolworth Showtrain in 2011; 2012 is also shaping up to be rather busy too! Stop by to say hello?

• Like 8

Obviously there has been a little bit of photoshopping to plonk Buachaille Etive Mor and Glen Etive in the view but it does work I think?

post-7769-093880400 1285531593_thumb.jpg

Standing where the photograher would be , you would hear the echo for miles. A westerly wind whipping past, a few sheep, a buzard or maybe even an eagle overhead and a little Sulzer spluttering up against the grade. very evocative, great modelling , superb.

keep up the good work

JD

Standing where the photograher would be , you would hear the echo for miles. A westerly wind whipping past, a few sheep, a buzard or maybe even an eagle overhead and a little Sulzer spluttering up against the grade. very evocative,

You forget the buzzing of the midges I think?

You would indeed here the echo for miles (and more so a mile to the west where Glen Coe is at its tightest). I would think the photo is taken about half a mile away from the Kingshouse Hotel, so once you have seen your Sulzer struggle pass, you can retire for some refreshments...........!!!!!

• RMweb Gold

the 'photoshop backscene' does on the look very well, are there any plans for a backscene to the layout?

- out of interest would you go for something like this or more specific to the original location (dont worry I'm not trying to lead you into a 'its P4 so it ought to have the right backscene' type argument :lol: , the Glencoe backscene does look very effective and not out of place!)

the 'photoshop backscene' does on the look very well, are there any plans for a backscene to the layout?

- out of interest would you go for something like this or more specific to the original location (dont worry I'm not trying to lead you into a 'its P4 so it ought to have the right backscene' type argument :lol: , the Glencoe backscene does look very effective and not out of place!)

I have toyed with similar thoughts after seeing Highlandman's photo.

I think I would avoid such a well known backdrop (as a occassional munro-ist, the Buachaille was instantly recognisable) but after that I am looking for how it feels. I see model railways as an art not a science and an impressionist one at that! So what feels right and allows people to think it might be real is what I am looking for.

I think they work best when there is quite a lot of level forground and then the hills. Several (including yourself?) have used one that I think works well in the borders but it would feel out of place for the west highlands. If you come across any pictures that might work, I am open to proposition!

• Like 1

Hi Mark

I am a bit late in commenting on this one. The back scene looks terrific and anyone who thinks the mountains look over the top, has never stood outside the Kings house and looked south.

Tested the Kings house out a few times and I must say what a good place for refreshments, real ale and a very obliging stag who poses for photos.

Gary

• RMweb Gold

Mark,

I've given this a good bit of thought after being really impressed with the layout at Scaleforum (great to meet you and the layout BTW!) and I think on balance that I agree with Simon above. A photoshop backscene can be very effective but IMHO the more impressionistic type he advocates avoids the potential of overpowering the foreground, which is the real thing you want the audience to look at I guess if you are exhibiting. A case of less is more as it were... The real limit however, as I acknowledge, is how artistic you are in terms of your ability to paint a backscene that "sets the scene" and gives a sense of place without becoming the dominant feature in itself. So I don't see a problem there for you then, having seen the layout in the plywood flesh as it were! (The bottom line though is to do what you prefer yourself - and again having admired your work I'm sure we will all appreciate whatever you decide!)

Gus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Portchullin will be appearing at the East London Finescale show this weekend. Details of which can be found here http://www.ehmrc.org.uk/exhibs.html.

I don't think we will be showing any steam stock but we should have at least one more class 24 and the van train is getting longer.

Here is a taste of the highlands in the 1950's with a little help from Morgan...........................

post-7769-099980800 1288943859_thumb.jpg

post-7769-087572600 1288943844_thumb.jpg

In truth the 8F did not make it down the line to Kyle, but can we gloss over this please! It was a regular on the main line to Inverness, so it does still look the part.

I was told the backs to the speed restriction signs and the station boards should be black - a little job before we go this afternoon therefore!

• Like 5

Hi Mark,

Very nice pictures even if I do say so myself.

In truth the 8F did not make it down the line to Kyle, but can we gloss over this please! It was a regular on the main line to Inverness, so it does still look the part.

It perhaps should be noted that the Black 5 rostered for this turn started to smoke (not in a good way) from the tender just before departure. Therefore the 8F was quickly substituted by the shed foreman to ensure the train left on time.

Thanks again for letting me run the train and best of luck for the weekend.

Morgan

Therefore the 8F was quickly substituted by the shed foreman to ensure the train left on time.

I think it was District Inspector Morgan that made that substitution!

You were quite welcome to give your stock a bash, especially as they did look the part. My father, who did not see them and has a first memory of the Kyle line in the mid 1950's blood and custard era was a bit cheesed not to see them - looks like we will have to have a repeat session!

Anyway, all packed up and ready to go to Rainham - I just have to brave the rush hour M25 which will be a bit of a bore! If any RMweb'ers are passing the layout do stop to say hello!